Real-time ship combat could have been what made this game.

Imagine a real-time combat system (Not unlike the regular combat) where you fought the enemy ship using cannons, positioning, etc

A real shame. That would have been a very unique feature done in a game like this. The current system just gets dull very, very quickly.

What do you guys think they didn't go for a real-time ship combat system? I'd be interested to hear from some of the devs on this decision, too.

• Like 5

I dont think they wanted to invest the time and the money that would have been required to do that.  I am guessing it would have been an epic undertaking but thats just an opinion.  I personally just close in and board every ship, I dont do any ship to ship combat.

Imagine a real-time combat system (Not unlike the regular combat) where you fought the enemy ship using cannons, positioning, etc

A real shame. That would have been a very unique feature done in a game like this. The current system just gets dull very, very quickly.

What do you guys think they didn't go for a real-time ship combat system? I'd be interested to hear from some of the devs on this decision, too.

No, I do NOT like "real time" combat systems.  Never have.  never will.   Games are much more enjoyable when they're something like turn based or at least very pausible.  I like being to THINK about what I'm doing, not win because I can out twitch a computer.

This isn't to say that the system they used was great, but it's better than any RTS could ever be IMO.

• Like 1

I dont think they wanted to invest the time and the money that would have been required to do that.  I am guessing it would have been an epic undertaking but thats just an opinion.  I personally just close in and board every ship, I dont do any ship to ship combat.

Ship to ship combat is do-able in this game, but you really do need to learn the ins and outs of the combat system if you want to be good at it.  And from my experience, the little ol' sloop is really fighting an uphill battle when you have to fight well equipped galleons and junks with good crews, because with only 2 guns in a broadside it takes a long time to do enough damage to sink those larger ships, meaning that you're  exposed to their gunfire for a rather long time.  And the Defiant just doesn't have the sail or hull health to do well in a long extended battle. 

Besides, I prefer the boarding actions, since it's the game's normal combat system.  Thus, it's usually quicker and easier to just charge in at full speed, taking a volley or 2 from the enemy, before you get into range for the boarding action.

I actually enjoy the ship-to-ship combat for what it is, though it would be nice if it were deeper and more complex (I also prefer turn based battles for this). 

But I find the system to be good enough to be functional, as I actually never board enemy ships (even if its faster/more efficient).  I figure that I still end up spending about 95 % (estimate?) of the game's combat in traditional RTwP.  I like changing up the pace when I can.

Also, by forcing the restriction on myself that I can't board a ship, I also forced myself to learn some new mechanics (even if they were simple).  I also had to take more care in how I spent my coppers in the early game, since upgrading my ship was kind of important.  I really enjoyed having more options to ponder on how to spend my loot.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat (heh) as NCR75 -- I also force myself to not board ships unless there is no other option left, and I'm enjoying the system a lot in that way. I think it's good for what it is right now, and I nice diversion from / addition to the exploration and RTwP combat, which is still the bulk of the game.

I wouldn't want it to be real-time, but I would like to see them add some more depth to the system and maybe some UI improvements to making the encounters a bit more intresting, visually . I also very much enjoy the ship management / upgrades, crew management, etc. and how it is ties into your decision making re. loot you find.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I don't play games like this for ocean combat. If I want that, there's games for that. I think they did just right, honestly--giving you the feeling of ship combat without all the bull****. They could definitely improve it, but I really, truly, honestly don't *want* complex, detailed ship combat.

• Like 2

I think a take on the regular party combat except with ships could have been very fun.

I'm not convinced that would have taken an excessive amount of work to be honest with you. They've already done a lot of the work (ship gear, crew xp etc.) and most of the required mechanics can be lifted from the party combat.

• Like 1

The only thing I know about ship terminology is that poop desk is not what it seems, and  that's all I want to know. However, as long as I still have my "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1" tactics, I don't mind if naval combat gets expanded for connoisseurs. 

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 1

For the love of Gaun, no.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I don't want them to spend another penny on the world map and ship combat.
World map travel takes half of the game time, and ship combat is not good. I just want to be able to skip as much if it as possible and actually play the parts of the game that are good. (you know the cRPG maps and gameplay)

I want more cRPG game-play maps and bigger. (Lots of maps are just too small, 1 room 1 figet temples :( )

Time spend on world map and travel is not well spent time for me, I did not back Sid Meyer's Pirates 2, I backed cPRG.

Edited by Farsha
  • Like 1

No, I do NOT like "real time" combat systems.  Never have.  never will.   Games are much more enjoyable when they're something like turn based or at least very pausible.  I like being to THINK about what I'm doing, not win because I can out twitch a computer.

This isn't to say that the system they used was great, but it's better than any RTS could ever be IMO.

Dude, it's a secondary system for an RTwP game. f.i. if there were ship to ship combat in DivOS games, you'd expect it to be TB since the base game is so, vice versa for Pillars.(tho prolly you'd like pillars' main combat system to be TB too). Ideally they should have made it RTwP but as Josh said also; they'd have had to build another game into this game which was not doable.

Edited by Quillon

Dude, it's a secondary system for an RTwP game. f.i. if there were ship to ship combat in DivOS games, you'd expect it to be TB since the base game is so, vice versa for Pillars.(tho prolly you'd like pillars' main combat system to be TB too). Ideally they should have made it RTwP but as Josh said also; they'd have had to build another game into this game which was not doable.

I think I remember that, but 'another game' seems like an exaggeration of how much extra work it would be.

Take a regular PoE fight, replace the character models for ship models and replace the ground with sea and you're most of the way there.

• Like 1

Anyone remember the game Overboard for Playstation 1? I used to love playing a demo of that...

I am on the side of... maybe they should have just cut some features and focus more on others. Cut out the ship battles, maybe just have 1 or 2 at specific points in the game and that's it.

• Like 1

nowt

Anyone remember the game Overboard for Playstation 1? I used to love playing a demo of that...

I am on the side of... maybe they should have just cut some features and focus more on others. Cut out the ship battles, maybe just have 1 or 2 at specific points in the game and that's it.

It would have been better than what we have now that's for sure because once you figure out that it all boils down to closing the gap in order to be able to board the enemy ship then shooting and fancy sailing become nothing more than a waste of time. 

• Like 1

The only reason this game's RTwP system works is its sheer complexity - there's so much to coordinate, even playing solo, that you're constantly engaged. I'm not sure you could do that with a ship-combat system. Even if you did have it, how much time would actually be spent on it? Sure, ship combat is a thing in this game, but it's not like it's the focus of the game. Much like the obnoxious minigame in Jade Empire, I suspect it would become an obnoxious scrappy feature that everyone would hate.

Take a regular PoE fight, replace the character models for ship models and replace the ground with sea and you're most of the way there.

Alas, it would hardly be so simple, because then you have to design all of the actions, balance mechanics, figure out speeds, etc.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Ship combat is notoriously difficult to make intersting and fun in video games. This is laregely becasue the degree tedium of it is directly proportional to the degree of realism designed into the simulation and because there is no terrain interest on a flat stretch of water meaning every battle will work out pretty much the same every time no mattetr what: ships shoot at each other point blank until one of them sinks.

• Like 1

Ship combat is notoriously difficult to make intersting and fun in video games. This is laregely becasue the degree tedium of it is directly proportional to the degree of realism designed into the simulation and because there is no terrain interest on a flat stretch of water meaning every battle will work out pretty much the same every time no mattetr what: ships shoot at each other point blank until one of them sinks.

clearly we just need to add cute anime girl mascots for the ships problem solved

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Lol have any of you ever been on a recreation of a ship like the ones used in Deadfire? "Realistic" combat in this case would be the most asinine combat ever made. You'd struggle with basic tasks like patching and loading. You're simply asking for more steps.

More complex steps and hurdles =/= More realistic

Yes! We have no bananas.

ship combat is alright. I think what people are asking for is something like Sid Meier's Pirates. I admit I suck at that game. And it can be frustrating when you suck. I suppose if I bothered to practice I might get better, but it just doesn't interest me enough. Thankfully only spent a couple bucks on it on sale.

I enjoy the ship combat more than I enjoy the rest of the game. 

Not to say the rest of the game isn't better technically, just that there are fewer downsides.

1.No narrator

2. No stuttering

3.Sudden death, so its tense

4.Solving problems the Commodore Perry way

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I have some other questions about ships now we are on it. Which is the best one?

So far I found the galleon better than the junk as it takes less damage from closing in to the other ship and my junk ended up sunk a few times although it was way less broken than the enemy.

I haven't found a way to board the enemy ships after the first turn. Is this possible?

This might be a stupid question, but whey do enemy sailors constantly move around? I've found all you can do with "report" is replace wounded sailors. Can you actually fix the ship, and if so how? Also, why do people always say Shoot > jibe > hold > shoot is the strategy? Why not just stay put with hold until the cannons reload instead of turning?

Have to admit I'm really not a mega fan of the ship fighting but I do try to do it anyway. Especially at the beginning of the game when you are fighitng enemies way more powerful, you might as well just quit and reload. There's also a bug where you are sunk but your ship stays afloat with 0 health and starts fixing itself. Happened to me twice lol.

nvAeseu.png