What I appreciate this time round—faster loads and reloads, faster saves, the ability to, at least in certain cities, jump right to a building instead of constantly watching my characters run through the streets just to reload yet another area.

Plus I got an external GPU for my Macbook Pro and running full graphics and speed. VERY smooth double speed running and sneaking and very nice.

That alone was worth the price.

Joe

• Like 5

Positives:

The graphics, baby!

Multi-classing.
Factions felt a lot more organic than in PoE1.

Collecting crew felt more fun than hirelings in PoE1.

Neketaka.
Nemnok the Devourer.
Berath was also pretty cool. 

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 4

Most excellent:

Graphics

Reactivity to class/race/background

Humor

Sea Shanties

Nemnok

Concelhaut

Insane archmages in general

Rekke

Pallegina

Aloth

Soon to come: choosing eye color, better hats, and, oh yeah, bring on the DLC, baby :dancing:

• Like 2

Multiclasses

You can talk a lot

Less trash fights

Some nice quests (Heist, Hitman, Slavers, MindParadise)

Big Bad Monsters

Godlike reaction or origin

Reference to being captain

Companion input (mostly Teheku in quests)

Less resting,

Visuals & Audio & VoiceOver

Modwyr

Edited by evilcat

The music doesn't get enough appreciation IMO. 

A great soundtrack is never conspicuous and this one is just amazingly good. 

I do enjoy the graphics but at the end of the day the music is very important to me (there is a reason why the first Fallout games are still my favourite crpgs and why I used Mark Morgan's soundtrack when playing FNV). 

Deadfire does have great music. 

• Like 3

Graphics

Soundtrack

Voice Acting

Positional and environmental audio

Writing

Multi-classing

Convenience features

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I could go on and on, but my personal top 2 that particularly stand out are:

1) Encounter design.  Not only are the maps no longer overstuffed with trash mobs (like in PoE I), but the new noise system naturally (and organically) draws nearby enemies into the fight.  This turns what used to perhaps be 3-4 individual encounters separated by start-stop-start-stop-etc combat in PoE I, into a more natural, singular and epic conflict...followed by a longer and more meaningful period of downtime.  This also makes it harder to spam spells/resources since the fights are bit more drawn out.

2) I know its been said before, but I'll emphasize --- the lack of any comically good/evil factions and characters.  The writing just feels so grounded and believable.  Moral decisions have been difficult, but only in natural ways that don't feel forced or contrived.  Writing is just superb.

Icing on cake:

-Graphics and Performance both improved

-multiclassing and improved combat system overall

-so much reactivity from NPCs to race/background/reputation/etc

-regular back and forth banter between party companions and npcs (a first for me, I can't recall another game that did this)

-blessings to encourage more playthroughs

-overmap exploration (somewhat reminds me of storm of zehir)

-ship battles and everything ship related

-Mirke

• Like 1

I appreciate many things about Deadfire and despite being mainly critical in various threads in here, I had (/am having) lots of fun playing the game. So to list a few of my highlights:

-Companions' banter and overall presence in dialogue and interactions. The full companions feel a lot more part of the world and present in various situations than in PoE1 and many other games, that's great.

-Multiclassing. Already been named a lot by others, and I'm no exception. Multiclassing and Subclasses more or less make up for the decreased number of general talents, and the sheer number of possible combinations keeps fiddling with builds interesting.

-Enchantments on unique items. I really love the new truly unique enchantment options. The only downside to it is that soulbounds seem less attractive for it, they need more love, more interesting stuff.

-Locations. While many have criticized the small and repetitive maps while exploring, I feel that lots of the unique locations are extremely cool, visually and thematically - also something where PoE1 wasn't very strong apart from a few instances.

All in all there is a lot of stuff to like.

What I appreciate this time round—faster loads and reloads, faster saves, the ability to, at least in certain cities, jump right to a building instead of constantly watching my characters run through the streets just to reload yet another area.

Plus I got an external GPU for my Macbook Pro and running full graphics and speed. VERY smooth double speed running and sneaking and very nice.

Joe

How are people getting faster load times! It takes almost 45 seconds for any map to load for me. It can't be my comp, I can run max settings smoothly. Reducing graphics quality does nothing for load times.

Joe

How are people getting faster load times! It takes almost 45 seconds for any map to load for me. It can't be my comp, I can run max settings smoothly. Reducing graphics quality does nothing for load times.

How much RAM do you have? Not that I have any idea whether that effects anything, it's just a random thought. I have 16 gigs and no load time problems at all. 15-20 seconds at most to load map.

• Like 1

SSD or HDD? Framerates and loading times are not necessarily related, and reducing graphics quality is absolutely not expected to decrease loading times significantly.

• Like 1

I don't know about others, but PoE2 is easily half the load time at the beginning and between areas. In PoE 1 I was easily 45 seconds +/- once I got deep into a game. It was always faster toward the early stages. Saves took forever. In PoE 2 I average between 15 and 20 seconds for area loads. Saves are all instant, or at least unmeasurable by me.

There is also a slight difference between my Intel integrated gpu in my MacBook and the new egpu, but only a second or two. And that is just testing right now after I read your post, so not prolonged gaming, just testing load times.

That said, PoE 1 is faster now than it used to be. I don't know what caused that—PoE 1 or Steam update, deleting old saves and games (I heard that helps), or my new graphics set-up (which I doubt, but I don't know, really).

I have 8 gigs RAM and an SSD.

The load times were miserable in PoE1 for me.

Let's hope the future DLCs don't adversely affect that.

Joe

HDD with ~4GB of ram. Give or take.

I'd guess it's the HDD. Doubling the RAM wouldn't hurt either, but you said the game was running smoothly.

HDD are relics from ancient times. You would be amazed how much SSD can speed up loading processes and also booting for example.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Consider, on the other hand, that Torment: Tides of Numenera—which is built on the same engine as Pillars of Eternity—loads really fast even from an HDD.

Granted, Deadfire loads noticeably faster than its predecessor, but it's not fast in absolute terms.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

- Love that unique weapons and armor are truly unique (this might be the feature I'm most impressed)

- Voice acting

- Scripted interactions

- Enhanced graphics

- Enhanced information in the combat log (although there is still room for improvement)

• Like 1

HDD with ~4GB of ram. Give or take.

I'd guess it's the HDD. Doubling the RAM wouldn't hurt either, but you said the game was running smoothly.

HDD are relics from ancient times. You would be amazed how much SSD can speed up loading processes and also booting for example.

Welp, on a laptop. Guess there isn't much I can do.

- Love that unique weapons and armor are truly unique (this might be the feature I'm most impressed)

I forgot to mention this but it’s definitely a kickass feature!