I just use a basic D&D Party to complete the game the 1st time

Hi guys, I just completed the game today for the 1st time. I basically just used a Fighter for my main, and a Priest (Cleric), Wizard, Rogue and Cipher (Sorceror). Overall fun game, once I started having unique items and reached level 16, I just keep gibbing a lot of the enemies.

Whats your 1st play through party composition?

• Like 1

Fighter (Eder), Paladin (Pallagina) for my tanks. Priest (Xoti), plus me (rogue/cipher), and a rotating final member (though most often Aloth, has also been Ydwin, Fassina, and Serafen).

I used a combination of everyone. I was playing on normal so I wasn't too worried about who was were because it was all pretty easy. I imagine that will change the moment balance comes in a patch though.

Yes! We have no bananas.

On my first playthrough (I have 2 concurrent, 1 of which I had to abandon due to a bugged save) I went with mountain dwarf Berserker/Bleak Walker (main), Fighter/Rogue (Eder), Paladin/Chanter (Pallegina), Ranger/Wizard (Maia) and the last spot I rotate Xoti (Priest) Tekehu (Druid) and Serafen (Cipher). Aloth is pure Wizard but almost never sees play. I'll finish his quest once I figure out how.

I'm very happy with all my class choices, especially with Maia which is surprisingly effective as a Geomancer.

2 fighters, (one tanky, one dps) a healy priest, A ranger and either a wizard, a rogue/cipher or a paladin. 

Prefer a mix of 3 melee to 2 ranged. 

Could probably be better, but 2 regenerating fighters forgives a whole host of sins. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Shieldbearer Pally main tank, Eder tanky DPS Swashbuckler, Maia Ranger musketeer, Tekehu support/DPS Druid, Xoti support Priest.

Was able to talk my way around many fights, including boss fights, with a triple 18 spread of dialogue attributes on the MC. The fights that did occur were straightforward tank and spanks for the most part.

--

My second playthrough party, planned for when the big patch drops, has a Bleaker/Devoted pistolero leading with all four sidekicks bringing up the rear. No pesky companion dispositions to get in the way of evil actions and quest resolutions!

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

My second playthrough party, planned for when the big patch drops, has a Bleaker/Devoted pistolero leading with all four sidekicks bringing up the rear. No pesky companion dispositions to get in the way of evil actions and quest resolutions!

I do wish that there were some "evil" companions who were okay with me playing a truly selfish, amoral, borderline-psychotic son of a bitch. That's one type of playstyle they've severely limited.

first playthrough...

i tended to swap my party members around a bit.

Kailyn Valteri (Main Character): Seer (Ranger-stalker/Cipher-beguiler), Eder: Swashbuckler (fighter/rogue) -- sometimes swap with pellegina(paladin/fighter), Aloth Pure mage, Xoti Pure priest -- sometimes swap with my custom Thaumaturge (Priest-magran/Wizard-Evoker) iirc, Maia: Scout (ranger/rogue) -- sometimes swap with Thaumaturge -- or custom Templar (Priest-eathos,Paladin-shieldbearer) iirc.

---edit

fixed error

Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I always thought the beauty of tabletop D&D was that whatever party you had your DM could work around.

To some extent, but there is a typical, "traditional" D&D adventuring party which the original 1st edition gameplay was designed around, that being--fighter, rogue, priest, wizard.

I always thought the beauty of tabletop D&D was that whatever party you had your DM could work around.

Well, I think that you'd need a good DM to be able to handle party members whose alignments might be outside of the DM's personal "wheelhouse".  Not every person might be able to work with characters whose alignments they just can't get a storytelling handle on.

To some extent, but there is a typical, "traditional" D&D adventuring party which the original 1st edition gameplay was designed around, that being--fighter, rogue, priest, wizard.

Well, from my perspective that's kind of the traditional core of an adventuring party.  I have to say though that I'm happy that spellcasters don't seem to be strictly required in PoE2.  To the best of my recollection, I don't think that you could have said that about the old D&D Infinity Engine games, particularly BG2 with its rather unique arcane magic system.  I seem to recall a number of high level magical enemies that you'd be super hard pressed to defeat without a high grade spellcaster of your own.

• Like 1

Well, from my perspective that's kind of the traditional core of an adventuring party.  I have to say though that I'm happy that spellcasters don't seem to be strictly required in PoE2.  To the best of my recollection, I don't think that you could have said that about the old D&D Infinity Engine games, particularly BG2 with its rather unique arcane magic system.  I seem to recall a number of high level magical enemies that you'd be super hard pressed to defeat without a high grade spellcaster of your own.

Accurate.  You need a spellcaster just to get rid of all the various kinds of protection spells the high-level enemies cast on themselves in that game.

i wouldn't know much about 1st edition, i started with 2nd edition ad&d back in the early 90's... 

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

My first party I went with the backstory of "everything that could go wrong but still win in the end" so I had none of the PoE NPCs. It was just me (melee rogue/ranger), Serafen (Barbarian) and Xoti (Priest) for the longest time. I found out about the wizard sidekick and got her on board, but she was a subclass, which I am not a fan of the wizard subclass (just not the spell depth to pull it off yet). Then I got the watershaper druid and I finally felt like I had something to make my first playthrough more traditional. Then I picked up Maia and dropped Serafen.

Joe

Hi guys, I just completed the game today for the 1st time. I basically just used a Fighter for my main, and a Priest (Cleric), Wizard, Rogue and Cipher (Sorceror). Overall fun game, once I started having unique items and reached level 16, I just keep gibbing a lot of the enemies.

Whats your 1st play through party composition?

I'm still on my first party, though I'm nearing the end of the game.  And I don't really have a truly fixed party, though I definitely have favorites. 

Eder (pure rogue) and Xoti (pure priest) have been permanent fixtures in my party, alongside my PC who is a pure fighter (Black Jacket subclass).  Beyond that my long preferred party also included Maia (Gunhawk subclass Ranger) and Pallegina (pure paladin).  Currently, however, I still have Maia in my party, and have replaced Pallegina with Rekke.  Not out of any love of Rekke (though he gets the job done), but because I sided with the Rauatai.  And though I did not have Pallegina in my party when I committed to allying myself with the Rauataians, I'm afraid that she'll walk out on me.   So, I stripped her of her good equipment and have left her in my reserve. 

BTW, if anyone wants to tell me that she doesn't do so, feel free.  I'd love to put her back in my party.  I love having the extras that a paladin brings to the party.

I think that one of the problems I've had with using spellcasters this time around is that I don't know how the spells have changed.  Which ones aren't as good as they were in PoE1, which ones got better,  etc.   I know that some people wish that there were more spells, but I really wish that there were fewer.  The new way that you have to pick spells for Wizards, Priests, and I guess Druids, is a pain to me.  I'd rather have access to all of them so that I could experiment.  But when you have to choose which ones you want at level ups, it's such an annoying and risky choice when you really don't know which ones to take.    On top of that, I'm stuck in the per-rest mental rut with spellcasting of never wanting to just flush all my spells during every battle.  I'm just too used to conserving resources to want to cast everything.  I just can't bring myself to do it.

On top of that, Aloth's AI annoys the crap out of me.  Why?  Because he has this damned annoying habit of leaving the rear of my formation so that he can run off and cast a god damned bleeping level 1 touch spell that I can't remove because he took it at creation.  I want spellcasters hiding in the REAR of my formation, not running off like a bleep bleep bleeping idiot and exposing himself just to cast low level short range spells!!!!

Sorry for the rant.

Eder, Xoti, Aloth, Tekehu. I was at 0 with Aloth most of the time. He like that I was nice but not that I was a priest. He even pulled me aside and said "I know you're a priest but..." Also Eder mentions his love of meat twice but losses rep if I hunt a whale for food.

On top of that, Aloth's AI annoys the crap out of me.  Why?  Because he has this damned annoying habit of leaving the rear of my formation so that he can run off and cast a god damned bleeping level 1 touch spell that I can't remove because he took it at creation.  I want spellcasters hiding in the REAR of my formation, not running off like a bleep bleep bleeping idiot and exposing himself just to cast low level short range spells!!!!

Sorry for the rant.

Just clone Wizard Aggressive and delete jolting touch then load the clone into his ai.

Edited by Porcelyn

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Eder, Xoti, Aloth, Tekehu. I was at 0 with Aloth most of the time. He like that I was nice but not that I was a priest. He even pulled me aside and said "I know you're a priest but..." Also Eder mentions his love of meat twice but losses rep if I hunt a whale for food.

Playing a Cipher, I had the option to scan the minds of the whales, and it tells me that most of them are either close to or roughly at the level of Kith minds. So I didn't eat them.

Edited by Katarack21

to the ai issue regarding wizards going all quarterback blitz to cast on touch spells... personally, i like to keep my casters on a tight leash, so i keep the ai itself on (so they'll still do scepter/wand/rod auto attacks)... however, i delete their ai behaviors so they won't go all willynilly with spell casting. as i like to use my spells tactically, and there's few things i hate more than needing a specific spell for a target or group of targets and to find out my mage has already auto casted all those spells slots. or to have party members hit by AoE spell effects that my mage auto casted.

• Like 1