Poll - Size of Deadfire Compared to POE1

Poll - Size of Deadfire compared to POE1  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Deadfire is:

• The same size as POE1 (White March not included)
    • Smaller then POE1 (White march not included)
    • About the same size as POE1 and the White march expansions
    • Bigger the POE1 and the White March expansions
    • Bigger then POE1 base but not as big As POE1 plus the White march expansions

How do we judge “bigness”? Amount of maps? I am pretty sure Deadfire wins. Combined map size? I am pretty sure Deadfire would still win. Amount of quests? Amount of fights (yeah, PoE would win here)?

Deadfire feels smaller because it has better pacing. You don’t slog through combat encounter after combat encounter. Dungeons like Eothasian temple, or Heritage Hill weren’t big, bit it took a while to cut through mobs. An hour of PoE left me tired, and hour of Deadfire made want to see more. Neketaka feels bigger than Defiance Bay and Eir Glanfath. But while exploring the latter two was a slog, Neketaka gives you reasons to go in and out throughout the whole game, making the experience much more enjoyable. Compare Gilded Vale to Port Maje, Roderick’s Hold to Fort Deadlight, Dyrford to Dunnage.

Could not agree more with this. Specifically the parts about pacing and how an hour of Deadfire invigorates me, while an hour in say, the Endless Paths left me tired.

I'm gonna go ahead and mention in this thread that I disagree strongly with the people who say the dungeons are too small, since it's somewhat relevant to the poll and peoples' perception of the game.

I think most of the dungeons are generally much better paced than Pillars, where they often felt like a slog. I would like there to be more of them, but I'm perfectly happy with 2-3 floor dungeons (and dungeon-like areas: Crookspur, Dunnage, etc.), and vastly prefer them to something like the Endless Paths which were cool the first time, and then a slog on subsequent playthroughs.

Deadfire's taking me longer to get through the first time than POE1 vanilla, for sure. Just goes to show that hours played is never a reliable metric - some people take 30 while another takes 120, and it's not even consistent within a single individual across games. Saying "x took me 200 hours it's definitely super long" just has no validity.

Totally agree here too.

It's frustrating to me how people treat playtime as anything but super subjective. The number of games I've seen someone complain about beating in "only" 20 hours, when I'm halfway through at 60 hours makes me just completely disregard these numbers. Not because mine are "right" in any way, but because they are extremely subjective.

Edited by Answermancer
  • Like 2

My first Deadfire run was 58 hours. This was after I did every quest, grabbed all companions and sidekicks, beat every optional boss, did a romance (for science), and playing on PotD. My first POE run was 90 hours when I didn't finish the Endless Paths, had several quests I didn't wrap up, chose not to take two companions, and played on Normal. Part of this difference is in the number of fights, part of it is the difficulty isn't balanced yet, but mostly its because the Deadfire is a bit shorter than POE without the expansion.

No clue how you managed that man. There is literally more content in Deadfire, it isn't a debate. There is more dialog, more maps, more bounties, more factions with more quests per faction, more everything except meaningless trash fights and main quest.

My first pillars run was about 45 hours and I did everything except re visit undead Raedric, which takes maybe 30 minutes. My first Deadfire run where I did everything? 80. Are you like reading every book in the game and skipping the books that are repeats from Eternity or something?

Someone actually looked up the numbers and there are 30+ more quests in POE (vanilla) than Deadfire. There are more bounties, but I completed most of those before ever getting the quests. The main quest is way shorter. While there might be more written words, due to the way the game is structured you don't see as large a percentage of the total words written in Deadfire compared to POE. Add in that I let the AI do all the combat, and its kinda a wonder that Deadfire lasted me as long as it did (I did a lot of pointless sailing around the map to uncover all the fog of war).

Also, I didn't read every book in either game.

Most of the quests in Eternity 1 were also trash quests you could complete easily.  Like the merchant at Defiance Bay's broken bridge. That quest takes a whole 3-5 minutes and doesn't even require leaving the one map.

bounties (which almost if not more than 50% of the Deadfire quests)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  This thread is golden.

• Like 1

Nekataka alone has more content than the two cities in PoE 1 combined; and Deadfire also has more smaller areas comparing to poE 1. The main quest is much shorter other other hand.

So I'd say deadfire has more content than the base PoE 1, but not that much, definitely not as much as the latest version of PoE 1, with a expansion and several other quests added.

• Like 1

i hate to say this, but i'm starting to have trouble taking anything that comes out of dog_days mouth seriously. 

Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Poe took me about 35 hours double it with WM (doing pretty much everything).

Deadfire took me about 65 hours pretty much doing everything except any of the factions last quest.

So gameplaywise they are similar but I'd give the edge to PoE1 + White March due to more depth in quests and areas. Deadfire is too fractured for my tastes.

Calling Deadfire smaller than vanilla PoE1 is borderline trolling though.

Edited by Armanz
  • Like 2

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

i decided to try and check my PoE1 savefiles to see how much playtime i have on file... well, i can't seem to load any of my PoE1 saves atm. the load and continue buttons are greyed out and continuously state loading save files till the end of time. *sigh* 

---edit

after downloading an update savegames seem to be ok now... was starting to freakout a bit.

now, very first run with poe1 58 hours, then reloaded the pre-end-game save and ran through white march expansions basically one at i time (as they were released), another 20 hours of gameplay. though kind of hard to gauge it cause i didn't play it all together at once in a single go. 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns