Project Mississippi musings

kanisatha

Ok, I'll throw some thoughts out for starters. With PoE2 released and that team shifting to patches and DLCs, the project will transition from big project to small project status. So what 's the next big project for Obsidian after Indiana? Under usual circumstances, this would be Sawyer's next big project. But Sawyer has made it clear he wants/needs a break, so his next big project will surely be two projects down from Indiana. So what is the next one in line (i.e. Mississippi. the next state after Indiana)? Even more specifically, whose project will it be? Brian Heins? Adam Brennecke? Do they try to hire a new big name project director?

They had ½ of a project being worked on a year ago or so. According to one of the many Feargus interviews. It didn't have a project name back then, but it might have by now.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Well the project name is not my point. I'm speaking in the hypothetical here.

According to what Feargus said in that interview, 4 1/2 projects, with the 1/2 project being something new they were just spinning up. The four projects were: Tyranny DLC (small team), Pathfinder Adventures (small team), Deadfire (Sawyer-led big team), and Indiana (Cainarsky-led big team). I would assume that Tyranny is now done and Deadfire is transitioning to a small team. So what's the next new "big team" project (which I have here dubbed Mississippi just as a shorthand)? They surely need to have already begun preliminary work on it because otherwise there'd be a gap in projects after Indiana which would be bad for the company. And, we know for a fact it is NOT a Sawyer-led project. So I'm curious as to whose project it might be (which in turn may give us clues about the nature of the project).

I would expect that they actually shift people onto Project Indiana instead of starting anything new. It's final implementation push will probably take a lot of work and I think this is the largest project the studio has worked on since New Vegas.

Deadfire still has DLC support for the next year, after which I imagine the designers and producer's will start looking into PoE3 based on Deadfire's sales. They may instead try for another short cycle CRPG like Tyranny in-between the next Pillars.

I highly doubt they will move to PoE3 that soon. Sawyer has stated he wants to do something not related to Pillars-style games before he would be ready to return to that type of game. So unless PoE3 happens without Sawyer, PoE3 will only happen after Sawyer has had his chance to do his TB historical RPG.

The way I see the sequence: Indiana, ???, Sawyer's historical RPG, PoE3.

So what ??? ends up being is the question. I suppose one possibility is a new something using their Pathfinder license.

I actually don't think Sawyer will lead Pillars 3. It would be a good project to hand off to someone new, which would keep things fresh by getting new ideas in the mix. I'm sure he'd write Pallegina and maybe do some other related work.

I think Josh said that BAdler is directing the DLC. Makes sense that this would be one way to hand the reins for PoE3 off to him.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."