How to make mutiny happen?

New run, ship morale at 40 something, hey, I think, time to get that cheevo. Stock up on cardboard and water, circle around Neketaka for weeks. Finally at 10 or 15 morale there happens a scripted event that looks like mutiny. So I kick one mutineer overboard and I think feed another to piranhas just to make sure I'm really the piece of garbage who totally deserves to walk the plank.

Morale goes up to 40.

Since then I've been at sea with no food, no water for weeks, the crew survived four deliberate fish poisonings with deliberate refusal to cure them and three lashings, and nothing. What did I do wrong? Did I need to fail to defuse the mutiny in the scripted event? Do I have to hire crew members with specific personalities?

Yeah, I hear that when the mutiny happens you need to just choose the attack option. But it took me two weeks of sailing at 0 morale for that to happen.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I fed the crew stuff that gives negative morale until I ran out, then just fed them nothing. I went to the edge of the map and just set my ship to go back and forth in straight lines until morale dipped low enough to trigger a mutiny, then I picked the attack option. 

Morale dipping to 1 doesn't give your mutiny though, you need a lot more time or luck. I've got a special event about cannibalism and two events about a fist duel before getting the mutiny.

Take out food, drink, and money and just go around in circles. It takes an unreasonable amount of time for it to trigger, but it will.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

*whine* guys! share picturesssss.,....

Some of us always play a nauseating goody goodie :p so we never gonna see this stuff!  :biggrin:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I wish you wouldn't have to try so hard to make mutiny and other negative ship events happen. Given how easy ship management is, it should have something to do with the personalities you bring on board instead of just morale.

• Like 1

My first playthrough I did 0 ship combat, all resolved via forced-boarding and regular combat. Everyone had 10+ days of injury time, eating hardtack and drinking water, and had nothing to boost their morale. Two crewmembers confronted me and threatened to rebel, so I used my Cipher mind-tricks on 'em, and while it got them to stand down it also made everyone else concerned. Nothing happened until right before I sailed to Ukaizo - two started to clamor for mutiny, and when I tried to Jedi mind-trick them again, one of the formerly neutral crewmembers yelled "He's trying it again. Kill them!" and the entire ship rebelled. 

They chose poorly. 

Edited by Opheleus
  • Like 2

First, I want to agree, it's damn hard to get them to mutiny. Like OMGFireballs, I sailed around for WEEKS with no food or water at 0 morale. Heck, we even ate a crew member, which was damn gross, and still the little ****s didn't find their spines. I think mutiny may be linked to not paying them (since the first line of the mutiny script talks about money) instead of not feeding them.

Anyways, I think the correct option is something like "Okay, let's settle this (attack)", then basically you slaughter your own crew.

Achievements that encourage you to play badly are pretty bad design. Most people will just purposely do them and then reload. Where are all the achievements that encourage good play like the solo run?

Where are all the achievements that encourage good play like the solo run?

Coming with the difficulty patch.

Though solo runs of party-based RPGs with dialogs and banter are hardly "good play".

• Like 1

Coming with the difficulty patch.

Though solo runs of party-based RPGs with dialogs and banter are hardly "good play".

Agreed. I did PoE solo only recently and already forgot what class and race that character even was, it was that boring a run. 

Achievements that encourage you to play badly are pretty bad design. Most people will just purposely do them and then reload. Where are all the achievements that encourage good play like the solo run?

I know the guy above me said otherwise (and is probably right, my memory is terrible), but I recall Josh mentioning somewhere (tumblr?) that Deadfire will not have Triple Crown-style achievements to avoid annoying achievements hunters. Instead, those will become separate in-game challenges.