Save the crate or the NPC at the start?

I always save the guy , I did save the crate once (just to get stuff moving)...and don't think it was anything worth a life . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Crate always contains gloves with +10% crit damage for me.

Chitupec isn't AMAZING to have on your crew since he has one star in Deckhand and one in Cannoneer. With one exception, crew members can't get more than four stars total so someone who knows multiple jobs will never get four stars in anything. However you have to dig deep to find all five deckhands with the capacity to get four stars, and I'm not even sure there exists five cannoneers with that potential.

Plus as far as skill checks go I've never seen a higher one than three stars for any naval event outside combat, but for combat I do believe all four stars can come in handy, at least for cannoneers for taking hard shots. Perhaps if your deckhands suck, jibing takes longer? I'm pretty sure their skill determines your chance of catching the wind which is worth 20 speed in any case.

So he's not amazing, he's not dream team, but he's ready to do either of the two most common jobs on your ships, and he can become a three star deckhand or three star cannoneer which is still pretty damn good. He's also religious though so he'll implore you to throw money in the ocean now and then :p

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

He's also religious though so he'll implore you to throw money in the ocean now and then  :p

THAT WAS HIM ?!?! I'M SOOO THROWING HIM OVERBOARD NOW!  :lol:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Ugh, funny, now that I checked he doesn't have a religious personality listed, but I could swear it's always him harassing me to throw money into the sea and not kill Ondra's magnificent beasts. Maybe it's Eld Engrim...

But either way, you don't have to throw anyone overboard. You just save the crate and let the rest handle itself. ;)

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Ugh, funny, now that I checked he doesn't have a religious personality listed, but I could swear it's always him harassing me to throw money into the sea and not kill Ondra's magnificent beasts. Maybe it's Eld Engrim...

But either way, you don't have to throw anyone overboard. You just save the crate and let the rest handle itself. ;)

you said he was religious..

now he is a swimming fishy..that's on you!  :lol:

Elderly Hive Dweller

You could just take him off duty... ^^

Muhhh..

I just wanted to retire rich..and that guy making me broke... :biggrin:

Kidding aside , good to know you don't lose much not saving the crate though . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Chitupec has the “Loyal” disposition.

Splitting him equally between Deckhand and Cannoneer makes him the perfect backup, although getting a free Expert Deckhand is pretty nice. There are only a few NPCs who can be Master Deckhands and their dispositions may be a little too colorful (depending on what kind of ship you’re trying to run)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Muhhh..

I just wanted to retire rich..and that guy making me broke... :biggrin:

Kidding aside , good to know you don't lose much not saving the crate though .

I am pretty sure it was Eld Engrim the drunken surgeon, Chitupec is loyal like all other NPCs that you can save from death (except that cannibal cook).

Also the game throws so much money at you you can buy all ships, all upgrades, AND still retire filthy rich.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

[...] and not kill Ondra's magnificent beasts.

Damn, I saw an "r" where there was none...

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

This opening choice is strange though, as there seems to be a set of options that never get triggered in the game.  From 21_si_shipwreck.stringtable:

<Entry>
      <ID>7</ID>
      <DefaultText>You've defeated the pirates, but you're not out of trouble yet.

The storm picks up, lashing your ship and driving you dangerously close to a rocky shore. The Defiant's crew hurries to reduce sail and batten down the hatches.

They work quickly, but the ship is still listing heavily.</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>17</ID>
      <DefaultText>[Grab the crate.]</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>18</ID>
      <DefaultText>You can't stop it completely, but you slow it enough for Chitupec to scuttle out of the way. He nods gratefully.</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>19</ID>
      <DefaultText>[Tackle Chitupec.]</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>20</ID>
      <DefaultText>You dive for Chitupec and push him out of the way moments before the crate slams into the bulkhead. He nods shakily.</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>26</ID>
      <DefaultText>[Warn Chitupec.]</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

So is that just a legacy thing where there was another set of options/flags early in the game's development but which was eventually cut, or is there some way to trigger those sets of options that we just haven't found yet.

No way. My Watcher considers the gods nothing more than complex soul-constructs whose programming has went bad. Nobody who fawns over the gods is allowed in my party or on my ship.

Except Xoti, 'cuz she's hot.

No way. My Watcher considers the gods nothing more than complex soul-constructs whose programming has went bad. Nobody who fawns over the gods is allowed in my party or on my ship.

Except Xoti, 'cuz she's hot.

Mad props for admitting you're just horny.

But yeah it's impossible to play as someone who doesn't know the truth. I suppose all that matters is how you believe what functions the gods should serve to kith. If it all.

Yes! We have no bananas.

Isn't there also a piece you need to forge the most op two handed weapon in the game in that crate? At least there was for me. I think it might depend on your import state.

The fragments are supposed to just show up in your ship when you wake up from the first god convocation dream.

There's a bug where with imported saves they show up when you did reforge the sword and with created saves they show up when you didn't, though.

Isn't there also a piece you need to forge the most op two handed weapon in the game in that crate? At least there was for me. I think it might depend on your import state.

The fragments are supposed to just show up in your ship when you wake up from the first god convocation dream.

There's a bug where with imported saves they show up when you did reforge the sword and with created saves they show up when you didn't, though.

I got the Yenwood fragments but not the other fragments. Really pissed me off.

Eld Engrim, the drunken surgeon

Yeah, I can't believe I every trusted him with that job now.

On the other hand, when hiring crew I'm always sketched out by someone whose credentials include being a "Novice Surgeon"

Eld is fine. If you never do surgery while drunk you'll never really get good at it.