i just hope people aren't giving this game undo grief over the fact it's more high-fantasy over power-fantasy... as that seems to be what some people seem to be turning the major issue into, to me at least. 

• Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

How is the game better ? The combat is boring as hell, the maps are small and really take away the concept of exploration, the world map is a text based "Press NEXT to continue and collect some random crap " , ship combat is not even worth mentioning, leveling up never felt less exciting, items are a big meh...

Sure you have voiced dialogue , and some interesting stories here and there but it all feels waaay too disconnected and i end up wondering " why am i going after that ship .... eh some bounty  given by whom ? oh well, lets play the same boarding ship combat the n-th time and move on "

I will just address your reply with my personal opinion point by point.

1 - You are saying combat from the first game was some great renaissance of perfect RPG combat?  Yes there are challenge issues with this game (mostly if you refuse to explore side islands early on), but the combat is not worse than Eternity 1.  That will all be fixed in balancing that is probably coming sooner rather than later.  I expect it in the next month.

2 - The world map is fine.  Did you actually expect them to do an archipelago (which by definition is 70% water) in a old style map to map travel like baldur's gate or eternity 1?  That would have been incredibly boring and considerably less unique.  Meanwhile the map does a lot to encourage actual exploration for the sake of exploration.  Assuming you play the game for yourself and don't spoil where all the loot/important things are.  Also how do you "take away the concept of exploration" when that is the entire point of the map they designed?  You may as well have said, "Well if you just take all the red out of this red shirt it is a really boring color".

3 - Opinions, everyone has one.  I like the ship combat, you don't.  *shrug*

4 - How in the name of all that is holy do you think "leveling up" is less exciting in Deadfire than Eternity 1?  First you get 20 levels of it, not 12-14.  Second half your levels in Eternity 1 boiled down to.... "So my athletics is already really high, not my mechanics character..... uh guess I will just drop a point in survival?"  Third you have tons more ability choices this time.  Fourth, your actual skill choice only levels kinda matter now cause there are more skills and most of them are good.  Fifth you have multi classing so far more unique builds.  Seriously you are just wrong on this one, that isn't an opinion it's an objective fact.

5 - Items are a big meh?  I fail to see how they are less exciting than Eternity 1 items, especially considering the enchanting system is better now and weapons have more interesting unique properties.  The broom alone is more fun than any weapon from Eternity 1, forget about the talking sword, the horribly OP two hander you have to beat a specific event in just the right way to get, the higher variety of weapons overall, etc.  They didn't knock my socks off, but they are certainly no worse than what came before.

6 - Every aspect of the world building/questing is better in Deadfire except for the main plot.  To be horribly honest, the main plot of Eternity 1 wasn't doing so hot either a lot of the time so it is sad they couldn't meet a fairly low bar.  But the factions, the random exploration quests, more varied npcs, no godlikes every 5 feet because of backer npcs, the world of the game is just better built.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

How is the game better ? The combat is boring as hell, the maps are small and really take away the concept of exploration, the world map is a text based "Press NEXT to continue and collect some random crap " , ship combat is not even worth mentioning, leveling up never felt less exciting, items are a big meh...

Sure you have voiced dialogue , and some interesting stories here and there but it all feels waaay too disconnected and i end up wondering " why am i going after that ship .... eh some bounty  given by whom ? oh well, lets play the same boarding ship combat the n-th time and move on "

no godlikes every 5 feet because of backer npcs.

I am so thankful for this alone.

• Like 4

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

OP,

Please stop defending the story's faults. If you feel you must defend the story then you know deep down that there is no real defense so stop trying to seek validation in protecting something that cannot be.

I see, greedy fans white knighting the game, it's not really helping. Helping will be to give real critique, even the devs do not like someone giving false defense such as you and other members here are doing. Therd come a time kemosabe, where you must become man and accept what is, embrace those failures, move on and hope for Obsidian to do better with dlc and future games.

In the end, it's just a game and people need to to come realize it .. even if their time and money are vastly invested in it.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

6 - Every aspect of the world building/questing is better in Deadfire except for the main plot.  To be horribly honest, the main plot of Eternity 1 wasn't doing so hot either a lot of the time so it is sad they couldn't meet a fairly low bar.  But the factions, the random exploration quests, more varied npcs, no godlikes every 5 feet because of backer npcs, the world of the game is just better built.

Am I really the only person who doesn't have a problem with the story, at all? It's primarily a story of the factions fighting over Deadfire with the equivalent of the industrial revolution raging in the background and a hugeass naked god destabilizing the fragile balance of power that existed in the region.

It's not that different from Fallout: New Vegas, hailed as the greatest RPG since sliced bread was invented.

• Like 1

Am I really the only person who doesn't have a problem with the story, at all? It's primarily a story of the factions fighting over Deadfire with the equivalent of the industrial revolution raging in the background and a hugeass naked god destabilizing the fragile balance of power that existed in the region.

It's not that different from Fallout: New Vegas, hailed as the greatest RPG since sliced bread was invented.

Correct, but the problem is that you don't get half the influence on anything that you could have in New Vegas. The background is there, the scene is set, but in the end there is just too little choice and consequence for the player.

• Like 3

No, you aren't. The purpose of part two is to set us up for part three. It's easy to feel as though too much has been left out, but that's because the story isn't finished yet.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Correct, but the problem is that you don't get half the influence on anything that you could have in New Vegas. The background is there, the scene is set, but in the end there is just too little choice and consequence for the player.

Respectfully, this is only applicable so far as

the interaction with Eothas. The Watcher isn't a god and *shouldn't* be able to single-handedly stop one.

As for almost every other aspect of the game, there's choice and consequence to spare.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

And I have no problem with that, because you're weaving between the feet of giants. RDC is backed by an empire looking to use the archipelago as its breadbasket, the Vailian Trading Company is the arm of a global mercantile empire, the Huana are ten million people with many united under a single banner of the Kahanga, and the Principi are a vast pirate fleet.

You could get away with being a vital non-military asset in New Vegas, since that was a conflict between wasteland factions; the Republic is barely a million and a half (estimate based on the census in Fo2), the Legion has probably similar numbers. Together, they're what? A third? A half of the Huana alone and spread over a good chunk of the North American Southwest? Not to mention, the Mojave is orders of magnitude smaller than the Archipelago.

To give the Watcher the same influence as the hazanui, Furrante/Aeldys, Castol, or Aruihi would be jarring. The Watcher isn't backed by any empire, nation, or state, they're an impoverished noble from the Dyrwood notable for his soul voyeurism. They cannot wield influence comparable to the grand players.

But as a deniable asset used by the powers to nudge affairs in their favor? That's their role on the chessboard. I have absolutely no problem with that, as the whole "Great Man reverses the flow of history" trope is nonsensical. The best they can do is try and nudge things in the right direction.

• Like 3

Then tell me where we can nudge things in the right direction, excluding the final decision of who you give the macguffin.

I am btw not talking about changing the course of giants (be it Eothas or any of the 4 major factions), but even decisions at a very small scale are much too sparse.

My favorite example is the plucked fruit quest (because I know it from backer beta and always had hoped it would be more fleshed out in the full game). The only thing you can decide is which of two guys gets killed - the well-meaning thief or the innocent ****. But why can't we change something fundamental in the small and isolated worldspace of this village? Why can't we either -convince the village elders that planting the koiki fruit would be smart, damn tradtions; or -return the stolen koiki but give more of the stuff to the thief so he can plant it secretly. Instead we just let one guy die and the food shortage continues. 

The only quest that kind of works like this is finding a source of food for the gullet.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

Then tell me where we can nudge things in the right direction, excluding the final decision of who you give the macguffin.

I am btw not talking about changing the course of giants (be it Eothas or any of the 4 major factions), but even decisions at a very small scale are much too sparse.

My favorite example is the plucked fruit quest (because I know it from backer beta and always had hoped it would be more fleshed out in the full game). The only thing you can decide is which of two guys gets killed - the well-meaning thief or the innocent ****. But why can't we change something fundamental in the small and isolated worldspace of this village? Why can't we either -convince the village elders that planting the koiki fruit would be smart, damn tradtions; or -return the stolen koiki but give more of the stuff to the thief so he can plant it secretly. Instead we just let one guy die and the food shortage continues.

The only quest that kind of works like this is finding a source of food for the gullet.

You do any of Maia’s side quests?

Yes, but we don't get to actually influence any of that, do we? We either help her or we don't, and we only learn the significance of it in the ending slides.

Again you guys do know this is the non spoiler forum, so you can't even talk about eothas motivations.

All I will say is that I find it really odd people claim they don't know what they were, he tells you why he is doing what he is doing?  It isn't a big mystery.  If you can't relate to his motivations, okay, that's one thing.  Saying you don't know his motivations though?  No way, unless you paid zero attention.

Sorry for the spoilers boss. It's hard to discuss the story without 'em.

Right up until the end, Eothas is extremely vague. The watcher keeps demanding, "Why are you doing this?!" and Eothas keeps evading the question with remarks like, "It's all for a good cause, my child."  Then you get to the end, and he explains what he's doing, and it seems like kind of a **** move from the God of Light and Redemption. Since, y'know, it might destroy all life on Eora.

Eothas is also god of renewal, rebirth and spring, which are things drive him to do what he is doing. Where most other gods want to keep world stagnat (Berath wants everything work in orderly manor without any changes, Woedica wants to keep kith ignorant and in service to gods, Ondra wants people to forget past preventing them from learning, Wael want everything to be mystery. Suprisingly it is Eothas' foe god Magran and Magran's friend Galawain who start to see his point towards the end of the game) or in case of Rymgrad end it, Eothas wants to push it forward, especially enlighten kith to realise their potential.

So at end Eothas' is just following to extreme ideals that Engwithans made him to uphold which ironically seems to go against Engwithans intentions.

• Like 2

I take it you don't have much experience with small, isolated villages, do you? While the Plucked Fruit task is definitely unfinished (you're forced to give the koiki back), you're talking about altering the fundamental elements of the Huana culture in a five second talk. This is why the course Tikawara takes is determined by your actions at Poko Kohara, which affect the economic rationale for settling in the Tehiwai archipelago, and whether or not you give the notes to the priestess.

• Like 1

Yes, but we don't get to actually influence any of that, do we? We either help her or we don't, and we only learn the significance of it in the ending slides.

If you do Tikawara quest line, you end the food shortage, as storms that destroyed most of their crop ended.

In case of doing Tikawara quest line you will have quite major influence in that settlement as you will either cause cause people from the settlement to move in other places in deathfire, become part of Royal Deadfire Company, become prosperious port that mostly trades with Vailian Trading Company, become prosperious animancy research center for port for Vailian Trading Company, or become cheap labor settlement for Vailian Trading Company.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Am I really the only person who doesn't have a problem with the story, at all? It's primarily a story of the factions fighting over Deadfire with the equivalent of the industrial revolution raging in the background and a hugeass naked god destabilizing the fragile balance of power that existed in the region.It's not that different from Fallout: New Vegas, hailed as the greatest RPG since sliced bread was invented.

I feel it’s fair to say that NV faction system is superior to Deadfire - there is a feel of climbing the ladder and getting friendly/hostile with every faction, while in Deadfire it is a case of strings of quest, until game asks what ending slide would you prefer. Deadfire feels a bit to artificial.

But that’s beside the point. The issue Deadfire runs into is that crit path/hook (Eothas) and main content of the game (factions) are at best disconnected and at worst at odds with each other. NV Billy hook, leads to faction content, meaning that the two complement each other, rather than distracting from each other. Deadfire’s issue can be seen at the end - what should be a climactic finale - your fight with the faction leader who became an antagonist of your choice, sort of fizzles away. Partially because aggression feels really sudden, as you probably were good buddies about and hour earlier, and partiall because it is squeezed without fanfare between beats of Eothas’ story. Considering events of cosmic importance that are happening, conflict for Deadfire seems rather insignificant. Imagine New Vegas, where battle for Hoover Dam wasn’t this big event that was build up for entire game, but was nearly means to save the world. Softens the impact, doesn’t it?

Even so, Deadfire story is fairly shallow. It’s like getting sequel to Planescape, which focuses on conflict between factions’ conflict in Sigil. Very entertaining, but quite lacking the depth audience came expecting.

Does that mean that Deadfire story content is complete trash? Hell no, but it has issues which detract from the good stuff it has, lessening their impact.

• Like 3

Think deadfire's story would worked better if they dealt with faction issues and then had bit more main story before finally reach the end.

Yes having both faction and main story finish same time really undermines the whole.

Also think having so many black endings for factions really sucked life out to, Almost all the faction ends are extremes, when should had range of grey endings which would been much more of moral conflict for players. Kotor 2 worked so well with Kreia because even when thought you were doing good she show you that actually your actions not as good as you thought.

Not trashing story was enjoyable enough but it has it issues and could been better. I hope obsidian will read peoples comments learn from it.

• Like 2

Public opinion is an interesting one. Some things get more hated as time goes on, as it becomes more popular to hate them. Some things get more popular over time, as it becomes more popular to like things. We call those things classics. 

And then you get the edgy types who after time has passed, hate the later things, if only to be contrarians. 

When something first comes out, there's somewhat of a war between the cheery optimists, and the brooding skeptics. I honestly don't notice the faults of things sometimes, until critics point it out. 

Like the force awakens. Now while IMO, the last jedi is pretty terrible, and I thought so at the time, I kinda enjoyed the force awakens at the time. Then, people pointed out it was basically the same movie as the original star wars. I was like yeah, you are right. And then they were like, oh well there's a sort of creeping narrative that opposes the lore of the world. And I was like, hmm, yes. 

Same business here. I didn't really think about the main plotline, until I heard people critiqueing it. It's not entirely perfect writing, but it's also not wildly different from the level of influence you actually had in the last game. It does at least have a pretty god animation, and feels pretty epic. The greater game is where the bulk of the story is. I didn't really think about the combat challenge until I heard others mentioning. Some fights were plenty hard. Others not so much. Wasn't as hard as poe1, but then in poe1, the AI was broken. This definately felt less micromanagey and that is a good thing more than a bad thing IMO. 

At the end of the day, it's the only rpg I've ever played twice, and kept going back to build characters. People are influenced in a viral manner. Doubt begets doubt. Optimism, optimism. 

I think mostly people are more critical of this game because they were more hyped about it. And there's plenty about it that lives up to that hype too.  The other element is that the isometric space is growing now. We are getting, and have more games for comparison. So people are getting picky.  

Edited by drael6464
  • Like 1

This thread really should be in the story spoilers section and has been moved accordingly.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wiped out the neketa palace and sent the empress/whateverhernameis into hiding, which trigger a plot ending where her influence was as a mere figurehead, that combined with my support of the vallian trading company to produce a highly progress focused, anti-traditional society. A good ending, and not an obvious one. That was more than just choosing a faction, just as an example.

Although you are right, the main ending is primarily faction choice. It does kind of "feel" like more than that as you play through the quests tho and their are subendings, like for the gullet, or the fampyrs.  It is nice when you have multiple choices though, as with the gullet, and in some cases you don't have many. 

Edited by drael6464

Why is that guy going on about the "casual crowd"? The casual crowd wouldn't be playing POE. 

The main story is tacked on and had very little effort put into it, which you can see with what we got. 

Don't blame the "casual crowd", especially since Obsidian was aiming to appeal to the "casual crowd" with voicing everything. 

But how many of us actually wait for voiced lines to finish before clicking next because we've already read the text before the speaker has finished speaking?

I would be fine if they dropped the fully voiced thing and instead had just focus on making a proper story.

The Watcher was pointless in this, they should have just gone with a new main character and really just made the story about rising to the top as a privateer captain. You can be your version of Rekke, that midway toward the story is driven to stop something bad that got out after Eothas did his thing. That could work. 

• Like 1

Why is that guy going on about the "casual crowd"? The casual crowd wouldn't be playing POE. 

The main story is tacked on and had very little effort put into it, which you can see with what we got. 

Don't blame the "casual crowd", especially since Obsidian was aiming to appeal to the "casual crowd" with voicing everything. 

But how many of us actually wait for voiced lines to finish before clicking next because we've already read the text before the speaker has finished speaking?

I would be fine if they dropped the fully voiced thing and instead had just focus on making a proper story.

The Watcher was pointless in this, they should have just gone with a new main character and really just made the story about rising to the top as a privateer captain. You can be your version of Rekke, that midway toward the story is driven to stop something bad that got out after Eothas did his thing. That could work. 

They also didn't need that long ass intro and the repetetive bell ringing scenes. I like companions and npc's being voiced, the rest I can do without. Agree it would work better with a new character, but I get why they did it. People *still* whine that they want their Warden back from DAO.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I wiped out the neketa palace and sent the empress/whateverhernameis into hiding, which trigger a plot ending where her influence was as a mere figurehead, that combined with my support of the vallian trading company to produce a highly progress focused, anti-traditional society. A good ending, and not an obvious one. That was more than just choosing a faction, just as an example.

Although you are right, the main ending is primarily faction choice. It does kind of "feel" like more than that as you play through the quests tho and their are subendings, like for the gullet, or the fampyrs.  It is nice when you have multiple choices though, as with the gullet, and in some cases you don't have many. 

Not an obvious one? Isn't it a default VTC ending?

And most non-pirate endings are good, you just don't know about that when making choices.

No, you aren't. The purpose of part two is to set us up for part three. It's easy to feel as though too much has been left out, but that's because the story isn't finished yet.

The entire story of Deadfire could have been easily done in the intro cinematic. Eothas breaks the Wheel while the Watcher is dozing off, or sailing to the Deadfire, and the actual story is how to get started on resolving what Eothas did. 

Deadfire's story is literally filler.

Edited by FecklessFool
  • Like 1

Which was also largely the case in NV...and PoE.