[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

Does anybody know how Adratic Glow works on classes with renewable class resources (i.e. Cipher, Chanter)?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Here's my attempt at making these bonuses permanent.

Doesn't seem to work for me, even though the files have the correct extension and contain no syntax errors. I double-checked and the directory structure is also accurate.

Any ideas as to why it doesn't work would help.

Permanent Per Rest Bonuses.rar

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Get my latest mod and never worry about losing again ;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lampros said:

Doesn't your mod reduces the buffs though? I don't know if I like the trade-off ;)

It doesn't. That was @Noqn's idea. I merely made the existing bonuses permanent.

• Like 1

Don't forget to equip something better than Hylea's Bounty before acquiring many of these! I didn't know about (Incredible) food until today, wishing I had a Captain's Banquet! I don't want to lose my Dawnstar Blessing so it's pretty much a done deal for me at this point on my Priest. Hylea's is by no means bad but that spell speed/damage would be far superior after the first few levels when your skills are very low.

Orlan for life.

Just use my mod and get any food bonus you want, whenever you want ;)

Shameless self-promotion, I know. Sue me.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, AndreaColombo said:

Here's my attempt at making these bonuses permanent.

Doesn't seem to work for me, even though the files have the correct extension and contain no syntax errors. I double-checked and the directory structure is also accurate.

Any ideas as to why it doesn't work would help.

Permanent Per Rest Bonuses.rar 3.46 kB · 1 download

I see your mod is addressing Magran's Blessing. Someone requested that my mod do this too, but I don't know how to actually get that buff. Do you, or anyone else?

(the buff - not the shield)

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

4 minutes ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

I see your mod is addressing Magran's Blessing. Someone requested that my mod do this too, but I don't know how to actually get that buff. Do you, or anyone else?

When you do the He Waits In Fire quest, you can ally yourself with the Rathun instead of fighting them. If you do, they bestow Magran's Blessing on you before you go find Jadaferlas.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, gwarlek said:

I haven't attempted POTD yet, but does hoarding of buffs in that manner strictly required to get through it (esp solo) or it's more like cheesing?

I wouldn't say it's required but especially megabosses and some of the dlc enemies are a pain without it on potd.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gwarlek said:

I haven't attempted POTD yet, but does hoarding of buffs in that manner strictly required to get through it (esp solo) or it's more like cheesing?

I agree with you, the PODT difficulty is designed for those who control the game mecanics and search an harder chanllenge than easy mod provide, and make use of your skill, your adaptability, your knowledge, party composition, etc ; beat some "pain ennemies" with strategie and risk reward yourself, not only yours characters.
This is the same thing about brilliant + salvation of time+ barring door : brilliant is very useful for some encounters, SoT is helpful also, and barring death is so even salutary, but the combinaison between brilliant and SoT (and barring death and other buffs) is a cheese that remove the risk, and interesting fight become just cleaning zone event.
Keeping all permanent bonus with a mod is just like if you transform the POTD difficulty in easy one, but without the shame to play in easy?? I mean the interrest is justement to have enemies who are at less your equivalent, and if you become and semi-god to deal with them, is just like if you play in easy mod. For megabosses, they had added because they are a pain, this is why they are named megabosses. But this is just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Keeping all permanent bonus with a mod is just like if you transform the POTD difficulty in easy one, but without the shame to play in easy??

Not really, and definitely not the same as cheesing Barring Death's Door with an infinite Salvation of Time loop.

Playing Easy with no buffs is not the same as playing PotD with the buffs. Give it a try and you'll see (you can even do that with the same save game—save before entering the area with the fight, then do the fight on easy. Reload, collect the bonuses, switch to PotD and go into the same fight again.)

Keeping all per-rest bonuses with a mod is no different from doing a no-rest run to keep them. It just removes the inconvenience (and inconvenience is not the same as difficulty or challenge; if you have to resort to inconveniencing the player in order to create a challenge, you may want to rethink your design approach.)

YMMV, of course :)

• Like 2

While I don't use the mod I completely agree with @AndreaColombo that all it does is remove inconvenience.

I play no rest run every single game so I always have these buffs anyway, playing on "easy mode" is very far fetched. ;)

You don't need per rest bonuses or even consumables to play PotD successfully. Megabosses aside (here you need everything you can get).

I play PotD exclusively (party and the occasional solo run) and I almost never care about resting bonuses and especially not about consumables besides food (which you just have to use during camping so might as well pick the good stuff if I happened to pick it up - I'm not looking for it/hunting it/hoarding it actively). Unguents are an exception because they can be very helpful in scripted sequences and when trying to pick locks and unlock dialogue choices - but they don't help with combat so I guess they don't count when we talk about difficulty.

And yet to me most parts of PotD seem to be rather easy. Again: not Megabosses - those are just awful. :)

Of course that's partly because of meta knowledge and experience with the mechanics - but still: you don't need resting bonuses not consumables to play PotD and have fun. I did my first run on PotD (no scaling) and had fun - and didn't use resting bonuses or consumables. SSS and FS became a bit more challenging without them but still doable. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Stacking resting bonuses was used mostly by people who like to solo on potd difficulty. It's one of the tactics that comes with the knowledge of the game and it certainly helps, but I would never put it in the category of the cheesy tactics(like those based on SOT) that trivialize the game.

I don't know, that prevent you from arcane dampener and arcane cleans, I mean the permanent mod, and AndreaColombo said " get any food bonus you want, whenever you want", so I spoke about cheesing for those raisons. I didn't say stacking game bonus to consistent bonus (especialy for solo) is cheating.

Edited by Constentin Lévine

5 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

I don't know, that prevent you from arcane dampener and arcane cleans, I mean the permanent mod

How?

All I did was prevent the bonus from clearing on rest.

If you go out of your way to tailor your food bonuses to each encounter, then yeah, I guess that's cheesing it up a little (not dramatically, IMO.) But I, for one, usually stick to the one food whose bonuses I like.

Because even if they can be suspended, they cant't be cleared, no? And , AndreaColombo, to clarify my remarks, I didn't critic your mod or the way to different people play the game, but that was just my opinion about stacking bonus, precisely rest bonus, that can give totale immunity to every affliction and incredibles other bonus when they stack. That is why I quote a part of your sentence just before and I spoke about semi-god-like, nothing else!

7 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Because even if they can be suspended, they can't be cleared, no?

By resting, they cannot. Other than that, they don't behave any differently (I don't believe Arcane Dampener did anything to suppress them without my mod either.)

And worry not. This is a forum—we're all here to discuss :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

As far as I know stacking different food bonuses can still be achieved (at least it used to be possible before 5.0 and wasn't in the patch notes) by pausing before hitting the rest button.

So I assume @AndreaColombo's mod enables this too, but let's be real:

Downloading and using a mod like this doesn't force you to abuse it.

The original intent was convenience, if you use it to make it more convenient to stack different food bonuses (hitting pause before resting IS extremely inconvenient after all :P) then all power to you, but the mod did not enable the possibility of doing this, that is entirely in the game engine.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1