[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

I mean, it's up to each individual player in the end, but I find it's against the spirit of the mod to do things like that. It should be used to prevent rests that are forced upon you, not turn "eat and rest" or "pray and rest" into "eat/pray and rest without actually resting". At the far end of this spectrum, the mod might as well allow us to have every food buff at once 😛

• Thanks 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

8 hours ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

It should be used to prevent rests that are forced upon you, not turn "eat and rest" or "pray and rest" into "eat/pray and rest without actually resting".

You are absolutely right, I'll upload a new version with vanilla pray/eat rests and keep the current main version as an optional download.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe there's so much hidden and scripted crap that forces rest and deletes all bonuses in this game. I mean in a full challenge run no one cares but on normal potd upscaled it is annoying as all hell since forces players to do stuff in specific order and some of those can't even be avoided. It doesn't even make sense on some stuff like reparing weapons ( should only take/advance time ) when you're still at the npc's face. It's just bad design. The whole point of no rest should be playing without or limited empowers.

Spoiler

Edited by KaInEvIL
  • Thanks 1

What is normal PotD upscaled? 

By the way I don't use any rest bonuses and no consumables besides the most basic food on PotD at all - and I don't feel forced to do anything.

But it sure is a bit annoying that there are "secret" buff wipes without any indication. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

19 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

What is normal PotD upscaled? 

By the way I don't use any rest bonuses and no consumables besides the most basic food on PotD at all - and I don't feel forced to do anything.

But it sure is a bit annoying that there are "secret" buff wipes without any indication. 

Any first time player or anyone who hasn't beat the game yet would find this insanely annoying. Some neketaka events can't be avoided either, so if you miss them you also miss the bonus/unique gear forever. You can't travel through discricts without triggering them by a certain point. They should've made them random while traveling and not completely scripted. That would also make more sense. They did boat events a lot better since they can be avoided forever just by saving before traveling a certain amount of distance, saving and then reloading. So you could get them with any party of your choice since some affect character disposition and rep. And i'm sure you could beat the game blindfolded by now Boeroer but you miss my point.

Edited by KaInEvIL

4 hours ago, KaInEvIL said:

Any first time player or anyone who hasn't beat the game yet would find this insanely annoying.

Only if they've done quite a bit of homework first, and also in that process not discovered Noqn's mod.

First, they would have to notice they got the bonuses. They would also need to have enough game knowledge to understand that these are powerful and rare buffs, and that nothing except rest will remove them. Else they will probably go, oh, it probably had a hidden duration, or it got dispelled. I don't think there's been a single first time player who has had enough game insight to get bothered by this, unless they read this thread first, before the point of Noqn posting the mod.

Even so, No Rest is not a playstyle for first timers. First timers don't have game mastery, they will have narrow victories where some party members got knocked out, and they're gonna be happy with that. They're certainly not going to reload for the twentieth time to win without injuries, and they're not going to bend over backwards to always fix injuries with Luminous Adra Potions. Plus, they probably used per rest stuff for that narrow victory.

First timers in all likelihood don't even know this is happening, and if they knew, they wouldn't particularly care.

My Deadfire mods

I lost a Captain's Banquet to Dirty Laundry on my first playthrough, which is managable but still really annoying.
I sure would have been pissed if that was a run with Hylea's Bounty.

But more than anything, I think forced rests highlights how per-rest rewards is fundamentally bad design.

I'm considering making a separate mod that nerfs the bonuses but making them permanent. What's everyone's opinions on this?

Dawnstar's Blessing
    from +50% Healing to +10% Healing
    from +2 Religion to +1 Religion

Nature's Resolve
    from +10 Accuracy to +3 Accuracy
    from +2 Resolve to +1 Resolve

Alchemic Brawn
    from +2 Might to +1 Might
    from +2 Constitution to +1 Constitution

Alchemic Guile
    from +2 Dexterity to +1 Dexterity
    from +2 Perception to +1 Perception

Alchemic Wit
    from +2 Intellect to +1 Intellect

Amira's Blessing
    from +2 Dexterity to +1 Dexterity

Optional Package: Repeatable per-rest bonuses made permanent.

Brothel Bonuses (Still mutually exclusive)
Luminous Adra Potion
Adratic Glow

Optional Package: Shrine/Scripted Food Bonuses made Permanent?

Good Food, Better Friends
    from +5 Defenses to +3 Defenses

Ngati's Blessing

Rikuhu's Blessing

And probably alternative versions with permanency but without the nerfs.

It's a single player game, and the right way to play it is the way one most enjoys playing it. Mods enable the game to be played in more ways. Therefore, mods are good. You need not ask ^^

My Deadfire mods

I personally think this one particular mod is a godsend because all the hidden forced rest crap is exceedingly annoying and makes no sense whatsoever from a gameplay perspective. But now i'll have to play with the classic game party because i can't rest anymore and already got amira's blessing with that particular party. So it means i'm gonna have to rush to get palegina and the rest before reaching the lvl that triggers that particular encounter through traveling on the next run just because devs went full retard on the design choices. It's as bad as the quest timer on Pathfinder: Kingmaker. A game that is much bigger and involves much more micro than PoE. Been having much more fun with caster builds than any busted melee on this game.

Edited by KaInEvIL

• 7 months later...

Yes. First rest to get the food bonus, then go have a good time at the brothel.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm kinda bummed I missed out on Amira's Blessing for my current play through. Oh well. Will try to get it and keep it next time.

• Thanks 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

10 hours ago, AndreaColombo said:

I'm kinda bummed I missed out on Amira's Blessing for my current play through. Oh well. Will try to get it and keep it next time.

How exactly is the Amira's Blessing encounter triggered. In some games it triggers early, around lvl 8, but other games it never seems to trigger. Is it random, or is there a way to trigger it?

I believe it's random. If there's a specific way to trigger it, I'd like to know myself :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndreaColombo said:

I believe it's random. If there's a specific way to trigger it, I'd like to know myself :)

Thanks. Like you, I have gone through games without it ever triggering. I was wondering if there was a trigger about which I was unaware. I think the only precondition is meeting with the queen and faction figureheads in the Serpent's Crown palace. I recently had it trigger immediately after that before I had visited many of the Neketaka areas, and before repairing WotEP, unfortunately.

Likewise in my current playthrough. I also haven’t gotten the Neketaka SI where you help the girl and get the sword.

• Like 1

If you plan to build around RNG items, I suggest giving them to you via Unity Console. If that's too on the nose, you can always crate an NPC, give them the items via Unity Console, export them, and hire them in your next playthrough. That way you'd have to at least pay a cost in gold pieces to get them, thus appeasing your conscience. I do that with items that come late in the game too, so I can enjoy them for longer.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1