[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

• 1 month later...

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried gellarde and ekera at the same time.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

• 2 months later...

Another forced rest: The crew event where you're asked to make an offering to Ondra. If you solve it with prayer, you will rest. Tossing money overboard is fine.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods

I got a message (in fact, the first message) on the mod page earlier today about a forced rest that I didn't cover, and I had JUST uploaded a patch when I got a notification from this thread.

Are you guys in on a conspiracy or what?

• Haha 1

I just checked out the ondra scenario conversation bundle and it turns out that altough I converted each AdvanceTimeToHour into 27 instances of  AdvanceTimeByHoursNoRest with corresponding conditions, I actually forgot to convert all AdvanceTimeByHours triggers.

In other words, I'm a ****ing idiot. Patch for the ondra scenario and 15 other forced rests incoming soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

Another forced rest: The crew event where you're asked to make an offering to Ondra. If you solve it with prayer, you will rest. Tossing money overboard is fine.

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Tossing money at a problem it is then!

Again...

Patch uploaded: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/354?tab=files

Covers forced rests in ten Ship scenarios and three Shrine scenarios, the vault in The Forgotten Sanctum, and the one in the Bent Bough Forest.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow no-resters. I take it you're all used to filling up your buff list to the point that it relays almost no useful information in combat. With the help of @Kvellen I wrote a mod to address this. Please help me make it awesome.

• Like 4

My Deadfire mods

• 2 weeks later...

What are the specific conditions to trigger the luminous adra potion and hylea's bounty stack glitch? Can't seem to proc it with an Ancient Druid on upscaled POTD no matter what i try. It's always supressed. Oh yeah, btw i saw that guy who posted screenshots didn't have Berath's skill blessing so it may only stack twice.

Edited by KaInEvIL

You say glitch, I say par for the course. Unless my character sheet is lying to me, it's stacking just fine here. With everything. In multiple parties.

I tend to start my no-rest shortly after reaching Neketaka (because I want one party member to eat shark soup), and have that ceremonial meal in the wilderness on the way to Nomu the Marauder. I kill him, then I go steal dust at the mill, then I go to the herb shop to buy the other stuff, and whip up five potions.

But I have done it in different ways and can't recall ever having problems stacking them.

My Deadfire mods

48 minutes ago, KaInEvIL said:

What are the specific conditions to trigger the luminous adra potion and hylea's bounty stack glitch? Can't seem to proc it with an Ancient Druid on upscaled POTD no matter what i try. It's always supressed. Oh yeah, btw i saw that guy who posted screenshots didn't have Berath's skill blessing so it may only stack twice.

Try save/reload and changing the map.

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

I haven't found a method to stack them reliably either.  Sometimes it just works and sometimes you can do whatever you want and it gets suppressed. There is some glitch that happens during the play that allows them to stack, because normally they don't stack...

Exactly, no one has confirmed what procs the glitch. I also found out that quests and unique npc dialogue randomly become bugged after reloads, map load and autosaves so it's better to always save before engaging in any quest dialogue and entering maps. This is one of the glitchiest and buggiest crpgs i've ever played along with pathfinder. I guess it really is a "Unity Engine" thing. Also, not sure how nerfing everything or making items and abilities useless is more useful than fixing all the bugs. If they ever bother to patch this again i think they should get their priorities straight.

Edited by KaInEvIL

39 minutes ago, KaInEvIL said:

Also, not sure how nerfing everything or making items and abilities useless is more useful than fixing all the bugs. If they ever bother to patch this again i think they should get their priorities straight.

items and abilities didn't get useless. for people who care about good game design, imbalanced/broken gameplay is as bad as non-critical bugs like buggy stacking.

i think the bigger question is that they spent a lot of time implementing turn-based which, while interesting, really should've been staffed better, because it definitely increased the bugginess of the game. there are lots of stuff in 5.0 that were working just fine all the way from 1.0->4.0 but then broke as soon as the turn-based beta appeared and never really got fixed. before turn-based mode i would've considered deadfire a generally rock-solid experience, post-turn-based mode less-so.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KaInEvIL said:

I also found out that quests and unique npc dialogue randomly become bugged after reloads, map load and autosaves so it's better to always save before engaging in any quest dialogue and entering maps.

I never had severe bugs. I think the game once crashed and exited and that was the worst thing that ever happened - during an awful (really awful) lot of hours played. 

Some minor bugs with mechanics: yes. But nothing severe. 

5 hours ago, thelee said:

items and abilities didn't get useless. for people who care about good game design, imbalanced/broken gameplay is as bad as non-critical bugs like buggy stacking.

Exactly.

Also: I can't count how often I saw the word "useless" getting used when forum users described the result of a nerf.  It never described the situation correctly. Not once.

"They nerfed the endless zeal combo of Heralds. Heralds are now completely useless!" 🤷‍♂️ 

Note how "useless" can be combined with "completely" to emphasize one's infuration. Sprinkle "everything" and "always" on top! ;)

Still my favorite "useless" statement: "Wizards in PoE are completely useless" - and that was before they nerfed the obscenely powerful spell mastery mechanics...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I saw the turn based implementation as completely pointless since it didn't came with multiplayer like Divinity 2. There was no point in making an already broken game even easier. Why not try and make all abilities useful so you could make lots of different combinations instead of nerfing every single thing or trying to force you to play in a specific way/style? This way you could solo with every single class starting from level 1. Yeah i know some people may be backers or fanboys or supporters so your disposition is understandable, but the game still has lots of bugs and the so called balancing was poorly handled. Elemental and other spells that don't have any kind of cc or bypass doing laughable damage on upscaled sponges is not good game balancing because they only proc once. Even with high penetration there is no point to use them against a mass of sponges unless you just want to intentionally handicap and torture yourself. You're not supposed to be forced to get insane gear, buffs and food to make them kinda damaging, the scaling is god awful with a lot of abilities. So yeah, in the highest difficulty lots of abilities are pretty much useless and damage over time along with fully disabling debuffs become the only viable stacks from the beginning of the game. The point is making everything useful from lvl 1 to endgame not requiring busted gear, lvl 20, a million buffs or a multiclass abomination. This is the very same reason why specific class combinations are INSANELY MORE broken/unbalaced than others. I never see the point of nerfing in a single player game. This is not a mmorpg where you try to keep players coming back, if anything that's why mods exist. So i'd say a bugless and completely balanced game would be far more important and the first priority for game developers. Intentionally handicapping already weak classes and abilities doesn't sound like balancing to me. Whoever said Wizards are useless is insane, there are like a million FREE spell combinations and utility they can get thanks to grimoires even if half of them are weak in comparison to other VERY limited caster classes like Druid or Priest and they have actual direct high damage spells starting from lvl 1. I certainly don't get this game design where you have to get past certain level to actually start playing some classes ( this never happened with divinity ) which is why the exp progression rate is ridiculous. You can already get to level 11 just by doing port maje and exploring the whole map without beraths blessing. I wish they could have given druids more useful summon spells ( Blights are complete **** ) instead of LOTS of crappy area damage boring looking spells and weak disables if all im ever going to use is corrode, raw, stun/paralyze and storm. They certainly missed out on implementing lots of potentially interesting animal summons ( IT'S A FREAKING DRUID FFS ) that come with specific debuff attacks or support/aura abilities. Can't believe chanters have a lot of better ones, not to mention summon spawns are extremely limited in comparison to a busted enemy army of magical sponges starting from lvl 1 and you call that balance? LOL. Instead of nerfing make all the weak abilities decent. There are a lot.

Edited by KaInEvIL
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, KaInEvIL said:

completely pointless... nerfing every single thing... laughable damage... there is no point... forced to get insane gear, buffs and food... scaling is god awful... useless... the only viable stacks... a million buffs... INSANELY MORE broken... Intentionally handicapping... the exp progression rate is ridiculous... complete ****... crappy area damage boring looking spells... summon spawns are extremely limited... LOL

This is why most people will not take your opinion seriously. You might have adressed some weaknesses - but you bury your potentially valid points under exaggeration and puerile rants which will put off most readers who are not with you already.
So either you never learned how to successfully reason with others - or you are not interested in a productive discussion but only want to sow seeds of discord.
Both is difficult to work with in a forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Add Amira's Blessing to the list! +2 dexterity. You get it from solving the Neketaka burning house scripted interaction in a certain way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My Deadfire mods

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone recently been able to get the Good Food, Better Friends buff to stack with food?   Recently like Jan-Feb 2020?  Because I'm trying -- using all the pause-resting techniques described in this thread, including on-ship-deck pause resting, and I simply cannot get it to stack.  Either it overwrites food or food overwrite it.

I'd give it to myself via the console but I don't know how to do that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

Has anyone recently been able to get the Good Food, Better Friends buff to stack with food?

I checked the conversation file and both nodes that give you the bonus also trigger the Rest function, removing your food bonuses etc.
I thought this would be covered by No Forced Rests but it turns out that I forgot to search and batch convert all instances of the plain Rest function.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, Noqn said:

In other words, I'm a ****ing idiot.

In my defense, this scripted interaction is literary the only time a conversation uses the Rest function. (Wael, you sneaky fker.)
I've uploaded a patch for this interaction, you should be able to keep your food bonuses now.

• Thanks 1