[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

A start would be to cut down on the arsenal of per rest cooldowns. I groan every time I read "per rest". It's not necessarily because I play no rest, since the groaning happens before I begin that ritual. Per rest is only a limitation for no rest tactic, for everyone else it's: By Eothas! To use this again I will have to rest and give one party member a bite of hardtack or a sip of water? Preposterous!

Shift the per rest stuff to per encounter, and nerf it if need be. Perhaps a total amount of per encounter spells permitted to be used in a single encounter? Not counting class abilities now, but item powers and the likes.

As for a fatigue solution to no rest: Unsure. Imagine there's this tough fight and you really want the right inn bonus and a soaking in the Luminous Bathhouse for it, then it takes two days to sail to your nemesis and you're fatigued when you arrive, or the game made you sleep on the boat and you lost the bonuses.

I propose instead the following compromise:

- For the first two days, the rest bonuses are invulnerable and will stay unless you replace them

- After those two days have passed, the rest bonuses will stay unless they have been present through ten or more encounters

- If they haven't been through ten encounters yet, they will stay through the remainder needed to reach ten

- After a week they will fade no matter what; resting or not resting, fighting or not fighting, after a week they're gone either way

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

2. Semi-permanent bonuses: These bonuses are permanent and do not get removed when you rest. But due to a bug they get removed when you respec your character.

Is this still bugged with the current patch?

Does this still work? I was trying it out but kept losing my buffs despite not resting or doing any of the quests mentioned in the OP.

Doing any scripted interactions that says "blabla hours passed" will drop your buffs.

• Like 1

Does this still work? I was trying it out but kept losing my buffs despite not resting or doing any of the quests mentioned in the OP.

Doing any scripted interactions that says "blabla hours passed" will drop your buffs.

This. And don't forget that exploring ruins, battlegrounds, etc. lose you your buffs; you have to save, explore, reload, and explore again. Or just avoid those things entirely; they don't give you much except the one that gives you the lightning poleaxe.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed earlier today that I could rest multiple times in a row on the ship and stack all the food resting bonuses for some reason.

Not sure if bug

Could be a display bug. The buffs were all there during the next ship encounter, but I was just testing other stuff so I didn't pay much attention.

• Like 1

I noticed earlier today that I could rest multiple times in a row on the ship and stack all the food resting bonuses for some reason.

Not sure if bug

Could be a display bug. The buffs were all there during the next ship encounter, but I was just testing other stuff so I didn't pay much attention.

Confirmed, this is not display bug

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Oh em eff gee. We have a gamebreaker on our hands, courtesy of Esajin.

I was going to say I managed to stack Good Food, Better Friends with a food buff, twice in a row even, but obviously when I tried to do it with the food buff I wanted instead of some random +1 might food on one party member to clear an injury, it stopped wanting to stack. Well, I said it just now I guess.

But this, sheesh. This deserves its own OM NOM NOM category of the no rest strategy.

Hold your horses. I can't get this to work :p

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods

Maybe you can help me since I find it hard to decide:

I am currently trying a solo no rest run with a Devoted Fighter/Soulblade using Greatswords (Veteran, as that seems hard enough) and I am not sure which food to pick, Hylea's Bounty or Mohara Wraps. Since the +2 to all skills from Hylea's Bounty does not stack with the Luminous Adra potion it is basically +10 to all defenses plus some HP versus +4 Might and -20% recovery.

I have not gotten myself a 'Gain Health on Kill' pet yet, nor do I have the Fighter's life leech ability. Both probably swing the pendulum in favor of Kohara Wraps.

Not sure if bug

Confirmed, this is not display bug

I could not get this to work. Anything special I need to pay attention to?

Oh em eff gee. We have a gamebreaker on our hands, courtesy of Esajin.

I was going to say I managed to stack Good Food, Better Friends with a food buff, twice in a row even, but obviously when I tried to do it with the food buff I wanted instead of some random +1 might food on one party member to clear an injury, it stopped wanting to stack. Well, I said it just now I guess.

But this, sheesh. This deserves its own OM NOM NOM category of the no rest strategy.

Hold your horses. I can't get this to work :p

WTF??  I've tried to stack it and ended with this.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/b3gG4Ie"><a href="//imgur.com/b3gG4Ie"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

edit. link https://imgur.com/a/b3gG4Ie

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Hrm. I couldn't even stack an egg with a fish :/

My Deadfire mods

When I make the trip to Ukaizo, all of my resting bonuses vanish. Is this a recent change? Is there some way around this?

If not, I'm not sure how viable it is to plan one's build around not resting, given that all of those bonuses will go away once you get to the toughest fight in the game... :(

• 4 weeks later...

It's not clear to me indeed, how +160 defenses is cute and fun. 

Mostly because it pretty much couldn't happen by accident. YMMV, I suppose.

What do you mean by accident? Did pre 1.1 recovery on DoC breastplate happen by accident?

If its possible to stack defenses so high that it makes a player untouchable, how figurines, per rest bonuses, and empower matter? I do not understand what matrix you use to determine what needs to be balanced and whatnot. Seems to me it does not have a rational base.

Clarification: it couldn't happen to a player by accident. The only way a run like this would realistically happen is if the player made a conscious choice to do so, at which point you're really metagaming so intensely that you may as well be allowed to see what happens.

(As a general word of advice, I would hesitate to ascribe motive to an opinion without a significant base of evidence, were I you.)

As a general advice, I would hesitate to use strawman in an argument. What motive? If there is rational base feel free to present it. Cute and fun is not rational base. 

It's a single player game, cute and fun is absolute a rational base when it's a out entertainment. Get over yourself.

Why are you getting so bent over something someone can do if they wish in a single player game. Multiplayer with unfair advantage against other players? sure

You really have nothing  better to do then direct your ire at how someone else enjoys a game? I've been video gaming for the entire history of home video games, and I never understood people like you. "What? THEY enjoy the game in a way the I don't approve? HOW DARE THEY!"

• Like 3

Update: with the current state of the game searching ruins does not remove resting bonuses anymore ... I will check the other "forced rests"

Update2: sigils no longer have damage immunities, so you can safely destroy them with a bow/rifle from distance (scepters were risky because of shorter range)

Edited by Tommy1984

Update: with the current state of the game searching ruins does not remove resting bonuses anymore ... I will check the other "forced rests"

There are a few missing/wrong bonuses in your guide. Could you update it?

yeah ... I currently do a new playthrough and will update the guide after finishing it

Update2: sigils no longer have damage immunities, so you can safely destroy them with a bow/rifle from distance (scepters were risky because of shorter range)

Update3: some sigils still have damage immunities (like the one in Poko Kohara ruins)

Update4: praying at a shrine does not remove resting bonuses ... I will add them to the list of bonuses

>> only works for the shrine on Poko Kohara (gives +2 RES), the shrine on Neketaka island (gives +2 CON) still removes rest bonuses

Update5: Quest "Dirty Laundry" and reforging the weapons still remove resting bonuses ... so do these first

I update the full guide when I'm finished with my playthrough.

Edited by Tommy1984

Can someone confirm if "Nature's Resolve" (+10 Accuracy, +2 RES) is still available? In my current playthrough I can not get the mushroom on Tikawara ... the encounter always ends with a fight.

Update6: Good Food, Better Friends (+2 CON, +5 All Defenses) no longer stacks with other food bonuses, it replaces them

Edited by Tommy1984

It's not clear to me indeed, how +160 defenses is cute and fun. 

Mostly because it pretty much couldn't happen by accident. YMMV, I suppose.

What do you mean by accident? Did pre 1.1 recovery on DoC breastplate happen by accident?

If its possible to stack defenses so high that it makes a player untouchable, how figurines, per rest bonuses, and empower matter? I do not understand what matrix you use to determine what needs to be balanced and whatnot. Seems to me it does not have a rational base.

Clarification: it couldn't happen to a player by accident. The only way a run like this would realistically happen is if the player made a conscious choice to do so, at which point you're really metagaming so intensely that you may as well be allowed to see what happens.

(As a general word of advice, I would hesitate to ascribe motive to an opinion without a significant base of evidence, were I you.)

As a general advice, I would hesitate to use strawman in an argument. What motive? If there is rational base feel free to present it. Cute and fun is not rational base. 

It's a single player game, cute and fun is absolute a rational base when it's a out entertainment. Get over yourself.

Why are you getting so bent over something someone can do if they wish in a single player game. Multiplayer with unfair advantage against other players? sure

You really have nothing  better to do then direct your ire at how someone else enjoys a game? I've been video gaming for the entire history of home video games, and I never understood people like you. "What? THEY enjoy the game in a way the I don't approve? HOW DARE THEY!"

lol