[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

As the health system for PoE 2 was changed, I did a "no rest" solo run, where I tried to stack as many bonuses as possible. I thought it would be good to make some kind of guide on the various bonuses that can be aquired in the game and to share my experience with them.

1. Permanent bonuses: These bonuses are permanent and do not get removed when you rest or respec.

Berath's Blessing - Bonus Skills: +2 to all class skills
-> choose at starting a new game

Berath's Blessing - Champion Stats: +2 all attributes
-> choose at starting a new game

Training:
- Carlo: +1 Sleight of Hand, +1 Diplomacy
- Coel: +1 Bluff, +1 Streetwise
- Elias Zelen: +1 Explosives, +1 Mechanics
- Geirvard: +1 Arcana, +1 History
- Granis: +1 Athletics, +1 Survival
- Kae: +1 Metaphysics, +1 Stealth
- Mark Van Der Bij: +1 Alchemy, +1 Religion
- Marofeto Liano: +1 Insight, +1 Initimidate
-> learn for 3000 Gold from various trainers

Couldron Brew: +1 to a choosen attribute
-> brew potion in Outcasts Respite

Gift from the Machine: +1 MIG, +5% Max Health
-> import PoE 1 save, regain it in Hasango

Effigys Resentment:
- Durance: +1 CON, +5% Max Health
- Devil of Caroc: +1 DEX, +1 Penetration vs. Kith
- Eder: +1 MIG, +2 Deflection
- Mahena: +1 MIG, +5 defense against might affliction
- Grieving Mother: +1 RES, +5 defense against intelligence affliction
- Kana: +1 INT, +5 defense against dexterity affliction
- Pallegina: +1 RES, +1 Shock AR
- Sagani: +1 PER, +2 Accuracy for >4m targets
- Aloth: +1 INT, +5 Reflex
- Hiravias: +1 DEX, +1 Slash AR
- Zahua: +1 CON, +5% Beneficial effect duration
-> import PoE 1 save, regain it in Hasango

Ability: Chorus of the Lost (Distracted & Hobbled = Foe AoE: 2,5m radius)
-> pick "Eothas! Stop!" in cutscene

Ability: No Pity of the Lost (Distracted = Foe AoE: 2,5m radius; Steadfast Inspiration on Self)
-> pick "Search for your Soul." in cutscene

Ability: Sympathy for the Lost (Distracted = Foe AoE: 2,5m Radius; Heal 35[base] = Ally AoE: 2,5m Radius)
-> pick "Reach for Lost Souls." in cutscene

2. Per-Rest bonuses: These bonuses get removed when you rest, but they do not get removed when you respec your character.

2.1 Resting/Food bonus: There are many rest and food bonuses, but only one can be active at a time. The best bonuses are:

Hylea's Bounty: +10 All Defenses, +2 All Skills, +25% Max Health
-> import PoE 1 save with Hylea Ending, gives food item that can be used 3 times

Captain's Banquet: +20% Damage with Spells, +20% Action Speed, Immunity to Intellect/Perception/Resolve afflictions
-> craft/find ingame or from Scavenger Hunt Codes

Mohara Wraps: -20% Recovery Time, -30% Hostile effect duration, +4 MIG
-> craft/find ingame

Shark Soup: +2 MIG, +1 Power level, Immunity to Constitution/Dexterity/Might afflictions
-> craft/find ingame

2.2 Brothel bonus: There are 2 brothels in the game - only one bonus can be active at a time. By choosing a bonus from Dunnage an existing bonus from Neketaka gets replaced.

Neketaka:
- Aenalys: +2 PER, +1 explosives, +1 metaphysic
- Ymir: +1 CON, +1 Insight, +2 Reflex defense
- Rubyuna: +1 DEX, +1 MIG, +2 RES
- Konstanten: +2 CON, +1 PER, +1 INT

Dunnage:
- Irwena: +1 All Skills, can not be engaged by lower-level enemies
- Cabin boy: +1 DEX, +1 PER, -20% hostile effect duration

2.3 Other Per-Rest bonuses:

Adratic Glow: +1 empower, +1 class ressource
-> bath in Luminous Bathhouse

Luminous Adra Potion: +2 all skills

-> brew potion and drink it

Wardstones:
- Immunity to Sigil of Atrophy
- Immunity to Sigil of Darkness
- Immunity to Sigil of Death
- Immunity to Sigil of Nightmares

- Immunity to Sigil of Pain
-> use the wardstone, the immunity is active until you rest

Rikuhu's Blessing: +2 RES
-> pray at shrine on Poko Kohara

Alchemic Brawn: +2 CON, +2 MIG
-> drinking from the pool at Outcasts Respite

Alchemic Guile: +2 DEX, +2 PER

Alchemic Wits: +2 INT, +2 RES

Dawnstar's blessing: +50% Healing done, +2 Religion
-> let the Dawnstars in Port Maje bless you, can only be aquired once

Good Food, Better Friends: +2 CON, +5 All Defenses
-> eat with adventurers behind an Eoten Encounter, can only be aquired once

-> Patch 2.0: replaces food bonus

Nature's Resolve: +10 Accuracy, +2 RES
-> eat mushroom in map event on Tikawara, can only be aquired once

-> Patch 2.0: no longer available (needs confirmation)

3. What removes/replaces Per-Rest bonuses?

Resting!!!
-> Obvious, right?!

3.1 Semi-forced rests:

searching ruins/shipwrecks on the world map
-> this removes all resting bonuses, this can be nullified if you save before searching a ruin/shipwreck, then reload your savegame and then search again
-> Patch 2.0: searching ruins/shiprecks/burial sites no longer removes resting bonuses

Bent Bough Forest (on island with Fampyr's Crypt) on the world map
-> one option removes all resting bonuses, just use one of the other options

Shrines on the world map
-> praying at a shrine removes all resting bonuses, just don't do it

-> Patch 2.0: only shrine on Neketaka and Crookspur remove resting bonuses, praying at shrine on Poko Kohara is fine

3.2 Forced rests:

Repairing weapons from PoE 1
- repairing Whispers of Yenwood
- repairing Blade of the Endless Paths
- forging Whispers of the Endless Paths
-> these actions remove all resting bonuses, there is no workaround for preventing this (except avoiding the option)

Quest "Dirty Laundry"
- infiltrating the bath house, while doing the Quest "Dirty Laundry" for the Vailian Trading Company
-> this removes all resting bonuses, there is no workaround for preventing this (except avoiding the quest)

Arrival on "Ukaizo"

-> removes resting bonuses, but there are only 2 fights

4. Bugged bonuses:

Zealous Focus: +5 Accuracy
-> unsure how I got this, picked this up while questing in Neketaka (while soloing as Non-paladin class)

-> Patch 2.0: I haven't picked this up this on my new playthrough, seems to be fixed

broken item bonuses:
- Duskfall: +1 Penetration when attacking the same target as an ally
- Pets: various bonuses, many of these do not get removed
-> these do not get removed on unequiping the item

Path of the Dawned: +15 Accuracy, +15 All Defenses
-> in some encounters (or on the world map) you get this bonus for your character (only if you play on PotD difficulty)
-> Patch 2.0: I haven't picked this up this on my new playthrough, seems to be fixed

Constant Recovery: health regen

-> Patch 2.0: got this on a herald once, but after some time it disappeared ... so its not permanent

post-195492-0-86407400-1527639824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tommy1984
  • Like 22

I'd actually been hoping someone would make something like this, so thank you.  Btw, in reply to your comment on zealous focus, every playthrough I've had a Paladin in the party I've got one or other of the auras permanently stuck on my MC.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

Very usefull guide. So if you do the quests/actions which force resting and then take the "one time" bonuses it's possible to keep them until the end... Another good food is the Shark Soup which gives immunity to mig/con/dex afflictions (coupled with svef, I think, makes you immune to all afflictions).

• Like 1

I'd actually been hoping someone would make something like this, so thank you.  Btw, in reply to your comment on zealous focus, every playthrough I've had a Paladin in the party I've got one or other of the auras permanently stuck on my MC.

It's on my entire party!

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Ok this is very solid work, good job

This may not be what you mean, but the devil of caroc blood pool bonus is partially broken: the +1 penetration is always greyed out as a "conditional" with no clear trigger.

edit: I think you can also get the "good food, better friends" bonus from a scripted encounter on an island in the northwest where you run into an adventuring party (behind an Ettin encounter). Depends on how you resolve the encounter though.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Oh, the watcher skills are somewhat variable and also get removed if you respec due to the same bug:

-Eothas! Stop! 
will grant you Chorus of the Lost - Distracted&Hobbled (Foe AoE: 2,5m radius)

-Search for your Soul.

will give you No Pity of the Lost - Distracted (Foe AoE: 2,5m radius; Steadfast Inspiration on Self)

- Reach for Lost Souls.

Will give Sympathy for the Lost - Distracted (Foe AoE: 2,5m Radius); Heal 35[base] (Ally AoE: 2,5m Radius)

So as far as I can tell the beneficial effect duration from Zahua's bonus doesn't work.  2nd best is probably Devil of Caroc's, so my next goal I guess is to see if you can sacrifice her and still get her breastplate.

Good Question... I don't think I will risk it.  The next best after that is probably either Durance (save a couple stats in con) or Eder (if you care about deflection and don't care about losing your starting companion).  I don't have much respect for the +5 defense to a specific affliction... too specific and many other ways to gain resistance or immunity if really needed.

This has inspired me to do a no-rest run. Can you tell me more information about the "Dirty Laundry" quest that forces you to rest? I can't find too much info about it on the wiki, and I haven't hit it in my playthrough yet. Can you get it pretty early? Do you have to do the Tikawara quest for the Vailian Trading Company first? How important is this quest -- are there other quests after it that depend on it, or can you skip it without losing out on other content? How low-level can you get to it and what do you have to do first?

This has inspired me to do a no-rest run. Can you tell me more information about the "Dirty Laundry" quest that forces you to rest? I can't find too much info about it on the wiki, and I haven't hit it in my playthrough yet. Can you get it pretty early? Do you have to do the Tikawara quest for the Vailian Trading Company first? How important is this quest -- are there other quests after it that depend on it, or can you skip it without losing out on other content? How low-level can you get to it and what do you have to do first?

For the quest "Dirty Laundry" you have to talk to the spy upstairs in the Luminous Bathhouse. By saying that you are ready the game fades out and you are naked down in the bath and have to talk to two new NPCs. This transistion removes all resting bonuses. Its part of the VTC faction quest line and I think you can do this after "Storms of Poko Kohara" ... destroying the adra pillar or not doesn't matter. I'm not sure if its needed to do Hasango main quest too.

I stumbled upon it pretty late, as I did the quests late in the game when I was already Level 20. But it should be possible to do this quest and forge the swords early and then start stacking resting bonuses.

other things to mention:

1) wounds

I did my "no rest" run as a solo Warcaller, who only invested skills in Athletics/Mechanics (50:50) and History. Having Berath's Blessing, Hylea's Bounty and Irwenas Bonus (+5 to class skills, +3 to other skills), collecting all Training buffs, using items/pets with skill bonuses and skill boosting consumables help a lot with skill checks for preventing wounds. But on one island there was a forest map encouter with a cave behind it (which is needed to clear the island for naming it). There you need high Sneak or Survival skill (at least higher than I could reach with item bonuses), so I took the wound for failing it (-5 Fortitude defense, -3 corrosive AR). To prevent this you need to invest in Survival/Sneak skill. Or you plan to get it (its not a bad wound), because there are items that give bonuses when you have a wound (like interrupt immunity).

2) sigils

Getting the Wardstones is crucial, because without resting you can not clear curses. You can find Wardstones for Atrophy/Darkness/Nightmares by searching ruins. Just save and load until you get them - i got all three while still being on Maje. The wardstone for Mortality can be gotten at Nemnoks lair and I think one other location. If you don't have a wardstone try using Dragon's Dowry - with this weapon you can kill most sigils while staying out of their range, as they are immune to piercing damage but not fire damage.

• Like 1

For the quest "Dirty Laundry" you have to talk to the spy upstairs in the Luminous Bathhouse. By saying that you are ready the game fades out and you are naked down in the bath and have to talk to two new NPCs. This transistion removes all resting bonuses. Its part of the VTC faction quest line and I think you can do this after "Storms of Poko Kohara" ... destroying the adra pillar or not doesn't matter. I'm not sure if its needed to do Hasango main quest too.

I stumbled upon it pretty late, as I did the quests late in the game when I was already Level 20. But it should be possible to do this quest and forge the swords early and then start stacking resting bonuses.

other things to mention:

1) wounds

I did my "no rest" run as a solo Warcaller, who only invested skills in Athletics/Mechanics (50:50) and History. Having Berath's Blessing, Hylea's Bounty and Irwenas Bonus (+5 to class skills, +3 to other skills), collecting all Training buffs, using items/pets with skill bonuses and skill boosting consumables help a lot with skill checks for preventing wounds. But on one island there was a forest map encouter with a cave behind it (which is needed to clear the island for naming it). There you need high Sneak or Survival skill (at least higher than I could reach with item bonuses), so I took the wound for failing it (-5 Fortitude defense, -3 corrosive AR). To prevent this you need to invest in Survival/Sneak skill. Or you plan to get it (its not a bad wound), because there are items that give bonuses when you have a wound (like interrupt immunity).

2) sigils

Getting the Wardstones is crucial, because without resting you can not clear curses. You can find Wardstones for Atrophy/Darkness/Nightmares by searching ruins. Just save and load until you get them - i got all three while still being on Maje. The wardstone for Mortality can be gotten at Nemnoks lair and I think one other location. If you don't have a wardstone try using Dragon's Dowry - with this weapon you can kill most sigils while staying out of their range, as they are immune to piercing damage but not fire damage.

The Luminous Adra potion clears wounds and gives +2 to all skills until rest (so wounds shouldn't be a problem), don't know if the skill bonus stacks with the oils however.

The cursed totems can be destroyed from stealth with a ranged weapon (some are immune to slash/thrust so you need to have always a scepter in your stash), so Wardstones aren't really required.

Edited by Kaylon

The Luminous Adra potion clears wounds and gives +2 to all skills until rest (so wounds shouldn't be a problem), don't know if the skill bonus stacks with the oils however.

The cursed totems can be destroyed from stealth with a ranged weapon (some are immune to slash/thrust so you need to have always a scepter in your stash), so Wardstones aren't really required.

Nice find. I didn't know so far that this potion exists and that you can craft it yourself. I will update the list soon with the missing data. Thanks.

I applaud your work, but this is terrible design. o.o

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I got something you might want to add to the opening post: Get your food buff first. I had started collecting the unique weirdo buffs when I realized I didn't have the food buff yet, and obviously resting to eat it wiped all the other stuff. Fortunately I had a save to fall back on so that I only wasted wardstones :)

Speaking of wardstones, Sigil of Pain is missing from your list.

Another edit.

edit: I think you can also get the "good food, better friends" bonus from a scripted encounter on an island in the northwest where you run into an adventuring party (behind an Ettin encounter). Depends on how you resolve the encounter though.

Can confirm, but you also rest when eating it, so yeah.

Also I doubt you get it from the Pickled Eel. Even if you pass the constitution check to drink the blood (if you even can), the name is just unfit. There's nothing special for sale as far as buffs go either.

Another edit. What can I say, I got hooked on this :p it seems you need to make a super potion and drink it before you can use the bog witches' pool. I drank from it before making a potion and it just polymorphed me into a pig. Drinking again gave me an injury. I reloaded and cleared out the second fight and made a potion and then drank from the pool again, and got the brawn buff.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods

I don't get how you managed to combine Good Food, Better Friends with an actual food buff. I can get it from the Lowland Sands location on the southwesternmost island on the Deadfire map, but I have to rest to get that buff, so...

My Deadfire mods

5. Bugged bonuses:

Zealous Focus: +5 Accuracy

-> unsure how I got this, picked this up while questing in Neketaka (while soloing as Non-paladin class)

I can confirm this bug. I had this since Nekata too as a permanent Buff and it was probably since i met Palegina on the street.

Plus when i did my playthrough it stacked with Exalted Focus for a total of 10 Accuracy.

Another reason why the game is very easy on PotD if everyone gets 5+ Accuracy for free.