Anyone tried a barb/shifter?

Berserker or standard barb? I'm not sure if the -5 Int will really hurt the shifting duration? But the fact that a shifter can't cast while shifted is not really a disadvantage because of the Int hit.

Also, most importantly, does carnage work while shifted? If not, it's a pretty pointless build.

Seems an awesomely cool combo from a roleplay point of view, kinda a skinchanger/shaman from the white that wends, who wears wolf pelts in order to change...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Barb/Shifter is amazing, I personally went Berserker/Shifter both from an RP and power PoV, at later levels it becomes very very strong indeed. 

There are in game items that reduces or removes the drawbacks of the confusion so IMO no reason not to go berserker.

Carnage does work whilst shifted. 

Edited by Gutbuster

Berserker is terrible. The Confusion is crippling and essentially removes carnage not because of the friendly fire, but the huge 50% aoe reduction that comes with -5 int. Carnage's AOE is already smaller than POE1 as well as the damage it does in that AOE so you're giving up a LOT to take Berserker over stsandard Barbarian or one of the other subclasses.

Meh. So bump that Int a little. I do that anyway on my Barbarians. And so far Carnage is really not worth building around for me. It does negligible damage and doesn't proc effects.

Edited by Haplok

Berserker is terrible. The Confusion is crippling and essentially removes carnage not because of the friendly fire, but the huge 50% aoe reduction that comes with -5 int. Carnage's AOE is already smaller than POE1 as well as the damage it does in that AOE so you're giving up a LOT to take Berserker over stsandard Barbarian or one of the other subclasses.

Sfev till you get one of the many ways to mitigate confusion. 

PS Bersker with high alchemy and sfev is insane. 

Carnage should work fine shifted; all the passives do, you just lose item bonuses since they are unequiped.

Shifter is best multiclassed with a martial class (barbarian, monk, rogue, fighter, paladin) since you can still use those class’s abilities while shifted (they are not considered spells). PL and Might helps the free heal after shifting away from an animal form. Only character level is used to determine the animal form weapon and armor scaling, so that is not hurt by multiclassing.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

Modwyr is one of the best weapons in the game and it makes you immune to confusion. It's pretty much the staple Berserker weapon.

I tried a Shifter/Barbarian for some time but grew a bit disappointed when all of your gear disappears when you change. No weapons, no armour, no rings, no cape. I felt a lot of choice was stripped out of the build and eventually gave up. I wish they made it so your gear mattered when Shifting.

Modwyr is one of the best weapons in the game and it makes you immune to confusion. It's pretty much the staple Berserker weapon.

I'm presuming Modwyr wouldn't make a shifter immune to confusion while shifted? Or does it still work?

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

I'm presuming Modwyr wouldn't make a shifter immune to confusion while shifted? Or does it still work?

Frenzy first then shift I would assume, can't test it right now unfortunately. 

I'm in the Svef camp though, with around 10 alchemy it completely removes the drawback of the confusion and gives you immunity to intellect, perception and resolve affliction for about 6 minutes as well as around 9-10 perception. 

My shifter has around 32 perception and raging blow hits like a truck and crits most of the time. 

I personally didn't build mine around carnage but instead the great frenzy ability, freezing wildstrike and spirit tornado.

This video showcases a build similar to the one I've run. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKiy3GDn8VQ

• Like 1

I'm in the Svef camp though, with around 10 alchemy it completely removes the drawback of the confusion and gives you immunity to intellect, perception and resolve affliction for about 6 minutes as well as around 9-10 perception. 

My shifter has around 32 perception and raging blow hits like a truck and crits most of the time. 

I personally didn't build mine around carnage but instead the great frenzy ability, freezing wildstrike and spirit tornado.

Awesome thanks. For my next run I'll definitely give it a go.

Lord of Light

What is relation of wildshape and gear in human form?

Does it disappear and lose effect?

There is some equipment having really nice effects, like helmets, belts, and other.

All of your gear is gone during your shift. You are essentially naked except for some claws which will count as 2x 1H weapons. I have tested and can verify which is why I stopped playing mine.

So all the magic items on a Shifter are useless for what you want to accomplish :(

• Like 1

Quick Question: for Spirit Tornado, does the terrify effect activate only once, when activating frenzy? If so, can you re-activate frenzy while being frenzied?

EDIT: in the video, it looks like the Spirit Tornado Terrify effect gets applied periodically. Is there a certain time period that must pass for each tick, if so? Also, is that duration shortened by dexterity?

Edited by hansvedic