[Class Build] Bleak Huntress. Holy Slayer ranged sniper assassin build.

The Bleak Huntresses are an ancient female order among Bleak Walkers. Cold hearted murderesses, relentless hunters that strike from the dark, hunting their prey for weeks or even months... for reward and for joy of kill. Not much is known about them, as their targets never knew they were coming. Sometimes it's bullet in the head from tower in city, sometimes arrow in heart from dark woods or heavy belt in spine from rooftop. They come, they kill, they vanish. Always from distance, always precise, never personal. Patient like spiders on web. For them target is just an animal to hunt.... a warm thrill necessary to wake a little spark in their stone-cold hearts...

They say bleak huntresses not only take life but also feed on soul, that they need to kill or they go insane. Some say they are vampires or half-demons. Most say it's just a ghost stories. One is sure- if Bleak Huntress is after you- she will hunt you, she will find you, and she will kill you.

ldN9tY3.jpg?1

Level 8 Deadlight Fortress- PotD, scalling only, ony up + difficulty mod. Note that my character is geared up due to B.Blessings, my knowledge of game after 2 full solo games and using a steal method from vendors: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101057-spoiler-easy-method-to-steal-vendors-most-valuable-items/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhZVh-dYsw&feature=youtu.be

1. Why this Multiclass for range sniper?:

The goal of this build was to create a sniper assassin with High initial burst damage, high accuracy and with nice roleplay fluff :).

I was thining about Ranger at first but: A) while they have nice accuracy abilities, they lack of alpha damage and best skill are very late. Companions are useless. So I went with Assassin. Sneak Attack + Assassinate plays very well with afflictions on enemies, which rogues can infict (Hobbled, Blinded, Dazed etc.) and offers great escape tool (Smoke Veil + Escape) that plays really well together with Assassinate, though it's bit tricky sometimes to use.

Now the question was what to combine it with. Of course Fighter was my initial though but I was leaning against it: not only it has poor roleplay fluff for this build, but also while Penetrating Strike is great and Weapon Specialization too It was still not alpha dmg I was looking for and I needed second class for spamming power attacks. Fighter have to waste too many resources imo for things like Disc. Strikes or Vig. Defense. Also if I need a strong Penetrating Strikes I can always use Ring The Bell from Rogue so I didn't want to double it. Black Jack was a valid option but I didn't want to run "switch build" as I don't find it ammusing and with right gear and "speed reload" i reload as fast as Black Jack can switch before picking "Fast Switch" from fighter in later levels that I gave up on this.

So my final choice was Bleak Walker due to several reasons: first of all: huge Alpha Damage ability right from the start: Flames of Devotion: 25% burn + 15% Corrode and +10 Accuracy. Later combining that with Sworn Rival +20% dmg gives me huge shots for extra 60% dmg and +10 accuracy. Also with Sworn Rival and Zeal cost back on kill I pretty much have it for 1 Zeal which is huge. Later in game I can also get 1 Zeal back per kill giving me more options with that Range weapon than with Fighter. Devoted was out of question as I wanted to be able to play with Both arquebus, arbalest and their excellent modals and being able to switch without penatlies to other range weapons or melee weapons when needed. Devoted is nice but that +2 Pen was imo not worth. Also we have here Focus Aura (always good) and Lay on Hands, which allows you to skip Athlethics for Arcana.

Also thx to Bleak Walker we apply affliction on FoD which will always gives us on second attack against same target Sneak Attack bonus. Later we also get lash from FoD upgrade. So to sum it up: For 1 Zeal after taking Sworn Enemy + Fod Upgrade we have: +10 Acc, 60% bonus damage +10% Lash from attacks, free affliction for enemy. Also big thing was Paladin Passive +21 defenses. With Fighter I have to constantly make sure it's on with Vig.Def, waste 2 resources on it. And you don't want to be CCed while you reload your weapons. With Paladin it's just there and i can burn Zeal on dmg and don't worry about defenses. Also it gives nice roleplay stuff

2. The Build:

Bleak Walker/Assassin.

We combine high burst from FoD, it's low cost, free Sworn Enemy spam after that and free affliction on target with initial alpha strikes of Assassinate and Sneak Attack to remove most dangerous target/s. Since we do not try to assassinate in melee, we don't need high Sneak skill. We only have to get to position to snipe enemy away. Hence why I didn't took backstab. The further you are- the more opportunity you have to finish recovery and for example use Smoke Veil to dissapear, reset fight and start from Assassinate again or to continue (after reload is done) with another fast Assassinate attack. We have Escape also for when we need to reposition. We have great defenses and self heal.

RACE: Aftrer you get specific armor (later about that) Nature Godlike becomes great becasue you start every combat with Wellspring on. Of course Hearth Orlan is also great option. I went with pale elf cause like elfs  and wanted to match my portrait :). You don't really need to min max race here, though the first two would work much better than elf here :).

3. The Range Mechanics for Sniper:

There are 4 range mechanics that you need to know and use in order to fully utilize this build:

A. Fast Reload- when you attacked a target and your reload animation start, clikc ONCE (and only once) on target you want to attack (either by just attack or ability that attack like FoD). This will shorten greatly a reload animation on a range weapon like Arbalest and Arquebus giving you a huge dps boost. Using this method also allows us to ignore all -Reload Time bonuses like from gear or from abilities. You will reload as fast with them and without them.

B. Second free shot after initial shot. With any range weapon after we shot first time from sneak attack before combat start we immidietly have another free shot after it. Dunno why, probably game resets weapons on combat start and since our first shot is out of combat- it happens. So we delete one target and we can either immideitly follow on different one or use second free shot to finish the one we tried to delete innitially.

C. No recovery after using firearm. So after a shot weapon need to be reloaded. However that does not trigger Recovery. Recovery and Reload and 2 different things. That means that after a shot (or 2 shots if first was from the sealth) we can use Smoke Veil or Escape to get out of there and play our fight like we want. This won't work with weapon swap as that triggers recovery.

D. Smoke Veil usage for Assassination- Smoke Veil makes you invisible, which allows for another Assassinate. However stupid game designe made it that it turn itself off before full duration because it breaks engagment/combat, and you are left in the middle of enemies 2,7 seconds before your invisibility should end. What that means- that means that if you want to use Smoke Veil to trigger next assassination you need to have your weapon reloaded first. That gives you enough time to use it after smoke veil rocovery. If you won't despite having enough time on decription- you won't be able to reload and shot after using SV (even with Fast Reload tric) because it will end. Timing is quite tigh here, but possible to do and it gives that "Huntress" feeling in combat. I will probably put later a mod that fixed that stupidity.

Another trick is to use summon from any summon item after first two shots of Arquebus. This will make enemies stay in combat and so make your Smoke Veil also stay in combat. I burnt all my gold so I didn't grab one yet on video above.

E. Reload has nothing to do with recovery if you use fast reload trick. I tested this with naked + blazing fury (-75% recovery) and with full Plate +55% recovery armor. That means that you can use whatever armor you like and your dps will still be the same as long as you stick to reload only range weapons. Recovery will kick when using bows.

4. The Stats, the Skills, the Gear:

Stats: Max Might, Max Perception is what I would aim for. if you have B.Blessing you can start game with +2 to all attributes too. Accuracy is most important for us. We do not want to miss a shot. Period.

For Skills: I went with Arcana for Spearcaster Arbalest Accuracy bonus (+5 base and scales with Arcana and it scales great). It's our main weapon after initial shots with Dragons Dowyr so we want to make sure we can Crit with it and that we hit with it. It scales really well with Arcana.

Now before you go with Arcana put points into Mechanics + Stealth so you can sneak and steal Bounding Boots from Deadlight Fortress. With them you can go back to Neketata and steal a lot of good stuff like Dragons Dowyr, Devil Caroc breastplate and many more. After you gear up, respect to Arcana and buy Spearcaster from Marihi in Neketaka. With those two weapons you are pretty much geared up. Buy also Ring of Focuses flame for +10 Accuracy from FoD.\

Later in game grab Blackblade's Hood from quest Shrewd Proposition for that +2 Percpetion and 15% Hits to Crits from range weapons (combo nicely with Dirty Fighting). Faster you can grab Acina's Tricorn from Tikawara for +5 Accuracy as reload speed bonus does not matter. Or you can use whatever headgear you want :)

If you went Nature Godlike later you wil want to grab Gipon Prudensco armor as it grants Bravado at the beginning of fight which will trigger Wellspring every time you enter combat.

7zm5o4g.png?2

Your main weapon is Spearcaster. It's absolutely phenomenal weapon. High alpha, fast reload and most importantly "Skewer" ability from upgrade echantment. It givies is 2 HIGHT BURST DMG cone aoe piercing shot that also immobilize all targets hit by it + you can use arbalest knochdown with it. It can be use out of combat so you can assassinate whole room of enemies with it using it from Stealth :). It's absolutely great as that 2 shots will finish every melee fight. Not to even mention empowered.

aBRWDNs.png

Our Second Weapon is Dragon Dowyr, for initial 2 burst shots with modal on and it's +25 accuracy. It also has great +25 burn lash that can be upgrade to +50% lash. It has also nice secondary multi projectile enchant that I am yet to test.

7M34Ou0.png

For Pet go with any pet that boosts Ranged dmg. One I am using gives 10% damage to range attacks and +3 accuracy.

For Gloves I went with Killer Gloves as it gives flat 10% dmg boost to attacks which is important for us.

For Boots: Bounding Boots are really good as they allow you to use their Leap while still being in stealth. Any onther boots are good.

Rings: Nothing new, The one from Deadlight fortnress that gives +3 defenses per enemy (stack to 5) and Ring of Focused Flame for +10 Accuracy to FoD.

Belt: Any you like.

Cloak: at first Deflection cloak, later the standard Giftbearer Cloak for that defenses boost. Cloak that gives you second Escape and the one that gives +15% dmg from Sneak Attack is great too, but pretty late game, unless you rush main story.

Best Thing about this build is you can get most of the gear right from the game start: both weapons, armor, rings, gloves and deflection cloak. And you are ready to go.

5. Modals

Due to fast reload trick + double tap at the beginning of combat from stealth you always want to have Arquebus Modal on- it gives +25 Accuracy ensuring hit and high chance for crit damage right from start. Don't turn that baby off.

Same is with Arquebus Prone on every hit. On every hit. Very useful against mages or fampyrs as you can knockthem down, fast reload, knock them down again.

6. The Abilities:

For your Assassin you pretty much do not want to waste your resources for anything else than Escape and Smoke Veil. So don't take like me Crippling Strike and then Escape. Take only Escape and then go Smoke Veils and passives: Two-Handed style, Dirty Fighting, Defensive Roll. Later on I would only grab: Finishing blow, Strike the bell maybe for that +5 pen and Shadowing Beyond.

For Bleak Walker you want FoD, Sworn Enemy->Sworn Rival, Deep Faith, Zealous Aura, Eternal Devotion, Retribution (which works well with this build as you can take couple of hits when you reload and that will boost your next alpha strike). Later grab Lay On Hands and focus from here also on passives.

7. The Gameplay

Pretty much same from early to end game. Start with Stealth, inital shots to delete 1 or two targets. Switch to Spearcaster, turn on modal, wait for recovery ,cast somke bomb, delete another enemy with FoD triggering Assassinate because invisiblity, mark another one with Sworn Enemy, delete with FoD, reload, cast smoke veil, delete. Or delete from either Smoke Veil or Stealth whole group with Skewer shot or two. If fund yourself surrounded, use Escape, cast Smoke Veil, reposition, delete enemies. Rise n Repeat.

Due to double tap after innitial Stealth attack you can combine deleting key target (like mage for example) and then use immidietly Skewer to immobilize or kill group of enemies giving you enough time to reload, smoke veil- delete or cast second Skewer. But you have to start from Spearcaster, not from Dragon Dowyr to do it. As attack from smoke veil DOES NOT trigger double tap. Only when first attack is out of combat.

This build requires little more planning and knowledge and positioning then just go it and proc stuff with Swift Flurry, Cleave etc.

Even if you are catch in melee Paladin Defenses will help you a lot to survive.

Build Scales very well in his assassination job due to high alpha dmg and Sneak Attack + Assassination Scalling.

For bosses use double Dragon Shot or start with Skewer for immobilization, use Sworn Enemy + FoD for Affliction...you catch a rythm, no? :)

From all my testng this one I found out to be most classic high burst sniper build. And you are not slave of devoted choice and you can enjoy various weapons too, especially range ones. And because of Spearcaster Arcana + Arquebus modal you don't need extra accuracy at all. And +2 Pen is imo not worth sheer + 70% dmg bonus from FoD + Sworn Enemy.

GJhsQLw.jpg

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 6

I thought it might be more interesting than your last build but then I'm like... wow how is he reloading so fast, and got around to reading the description, lol...

Hm, what? :D

So..the whole build is based on cheesing game mechanics?

Either way, I'll give it a...shot. Heh heh.

Well, I wouldn't say it's cheesing. It's simillar to reload cancel mechanics from other games like reload and then do melee to cancel rest of reload animation etc.

Reload cancel has been in games for years :). Also this is the only thing that makes gun sniper builds viable as long reload make them really frustrating to use especially on solo. Not to mention it's the only way we can make "assassin" build work smoothly with Smoke Veil or Shadowing Beyond. Without it we would just stand there most of the time.

As for double tap at the start- well, I didn't design this game :D

Edited by Voltron

It's very cool. It's not a build I'd use because the game has absolutely no way to deal with the "invis and reset the encounter" cheese, so it makes the game trivial and to me trivial is boring. If I played in a grp I'd use this build cuz then u can't cheese encounters with invis I think, for solo I'd switch the rogue part even if it sucks because ud loose that super accurate alpha shot.

If obsidian could ever fix the invisibility problem while soloing (was the same BS in the first game) I'd LOVE to play this build.

Edited by Dorftek

It's very cool. It's not a build I'd use because the game has absolutely no way to deal with the "invis and reset the encounter" cheese, so it makes the game trivial and to me trivial is boring. If I played in a grp I'd use this build cuz then u can't cheese encounters with invis I think, for solo I'd switch the rogue part even if it sucks because ud loose that super accurate alpha shot.

If obsidian could ever fix the invisibility problem while soloing (was the same BS in the first game) I'd LOVE to play this build.

I fully understand your point of view. Switching from Assassin however would remove that roleplay element of being Bleak Huntress.

You can still play this build without Smoke Veil. Just don't take it :D

Wow, didn't know about reload cancel trick in this game.... and here I was, watching my Maia reload for eternity....

This build is very "cool" and flavorful. I really like the description and idea of "Bleak Huntresses order" that you made up.

Since I am boring of all melee AOE meat grinder machine builds here it's good to see range base build. And I like that stylish "vanish in smoke, reposition, shot them in heads". Feels like a real fantasy sniper :)

Would that build work with Frostseeker?

I have a similar solo character, except I use fire scrolls and sabres along with the arquebus. Very cheesy build, as almost nothing survives a crit and you rarely trigger combat. At some point enemies simply pose no threat, so I just spam FoD until everything is dead. 

I have a similar solo character, except I use fire scrolls and sabres along with the arquebus. Very cheesy build, as almost nothing survives a crit and you rarely trigger combat. At some point enemies simply pose no threat, so I just spam FoD until everything is dead. 

Give that Spearcaster a try- that Arbalest is a thing of beauty and Skewer is amazing.

Not that Dragon Dowyr +50% burn lash + Sworn Rival + Fod+ 10% extra burn lash is not :D. Because it dam is :D

I don't want to use melee as I try to roleplay this build :). I really loved playing ranger in Divinity Original Sin 2 and I wanted to go back to it here :)

• Like 1

Imo it’s a waste to use ranged weapon on BW/assassin, dual wielding is much better dps wise, but I guess your build has a bit role playing element inside.

Btw I think Templar asssasin suits your portrait better than drow ranger :)

Edited by dunehunter

Why the Deadlight ring?  Bonus is for enemies engaged with you... and it feels like you'll never get engaged.

Also, might want to pick up Maias armor for the reload haste.  Can hire her and then kick her out of goroup after stripping her, maybe you can kill or steal it if you can't pick her up for RP reasons.

Edited by Lokithecat

Why the Deadlight ring?  Bonus is for enemies engaged with you... and it feels like you'll never get engaged.

Also, might want to pick up Maias armor for the reload haste.  Can hire her and then kick her out of goroup after stripping her, maybe you can kill or steal it if you can't pick her up for RP reasons.

if you use reload speed trick the items/abilities that speed reload do not do anything, you will still reload as fast and still faster than with all of them stacked.

Imo it’s a waste to use ranged weapon on BW/assassin, dual wielding is much better dps wise, but I guess your build has a bit role playing element inside.

It's not about DPS, it's about burst. Assassins are not from DPS, but from fast kills. Who needs dps if you one-shot enemies from one attack :)? I am actually against idea of "assassins" dueling enemies in open, doing backflips, dual wielding swords etc. Assassin should either slice your throat, kill you while you make love with him/her, posion you or shot you from afar. That's assassin for me.

Besides there is no better sniper build combo for insta delete than this. Sometimes it's a weapon choice that makes a character build/roleplay, not necessary classes taken.

She looks more like Pale Elf than Drow Ranger. I am traditionalist when it comes to drows- black skin and white hair. Any other I just consider some other elf race. I don't think pale blueish skin is true drow, but as I said- I am old RPG gamer and rised on Salvatore books :). And she suits nicely a theme of "Bleak Huntress".

Besides Bleak Huntresses are not your traditional templars. They are hunters, not warriors.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

Dual wielding BW/assassin has better burst too.

And dunno if you are familiar with DOTA2, your portrait is drow ranger there. Templar assassin is more an assassin than a warrior.

Of course I know who this is :D. But in my books it's no a drow, it doesn't have black skin :p. But my char is more of a hunter than classic assassin so imo it fits her well. Templay assassin doesn't suit me here, not for Bleak order. Maybe if I played it with melee. But this is for hunting

Edited by Voltron

An arquebus doesn't trigger combat if you kill the target and reenter stealth before you're detected. And if you reenter stealth fast enough you can skip reloading and keep firing. Basically you can instant kill several enemies without retaliation.

Using dual sabres would cause enemies to enter combat mode, so I only use them against the rare enemy I can't 1-shot. So far the only things to survive an arquebus crit, aside from pierce immune enemies, were eotens and Nemnok. Most enemies in the game have maybe 100-150 hp at most on potd, and a crit from dragon's dowry does around 200-400 damage. 

An arquebus doesn't trigger combat if you kill the target and reenter stealth before you're detected. And if you reenter stealth fast enough you can skip reloading and keep firing. Basically you can instant kill several enemies without retaliation.

Isn't this very cheesy and boring? Honestly i feel there's no difference between reenter stealth before combat start and out combat Firewall kills.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

It's true it's fairly cheesy, but that's not the point. Any solo build tends to involve some kind of cheese or leverages over-tuned items and abilities. There's nothing wrong with showcasing these possibilities. I thought it was super cool and it shows off a lot of things I was unaware of. Another great build!

• Like 3

A. Fast Reload- when you attacked a target and your reload animation start, clikc ONCE (and only once) on target you want to attack (either by just attack or ability that attack like FoD). This will shorten greatly a reload animation on a range weapon like Arbalest and Arquebus giving you a huge dps boost. Using this method also allows us to ignore all -Reload Time bonuses like from gear or from abilities. You will reload as fast with them and without them.

Damn, not this bug again. There was similar one in PoE1 and now it's even worse. Sorry, but game style that relies on a bug isn't something that I might enjoy. Actually, knowing about such bug might spoil the game for some people.

You know that you shouldn't use it, but it's something that always available - just click enemy after attack and avoid extra reload times... And suddenly game change from picking right tactic, combining skills and such into 'time your clicks right and you're golden'.

Even if you don't want to abuse such bug now you would constantly think about not clicking enemy after attack to not accidentally trigger it. I just hope devs will fix it soon.

Edited by ErlKing
  • Like 1

Damn, not this bug again. There was similar one in PoE1 and now it's even worse. Sorry, but game style that relies on a bug isn't something that I might enjoy. Actually, knowing about such bug might spoil the game for some people.

You know that you shouldn't use it, but it's something that always available - just click enemy after attack and avoid extra reload times... And suddenly game change from picking right tactic, combining skills and such into 'time your clicks right and you're golden'.

Yeah i agree with you, but please let's don't talk about it here or there will be a bunch of guys jump out saying hey u can choose not to use it if you think it is broken :)

• Like 1

Reload and Recovery also get a 85% speed bonus from stealth. As long a stealth isn't lifted your reloading/recovery phase will tick down really fast. It's noticable when you attack from far away since then there is some timespan between shot and hit (which lifts stealth I guess) where fast recovery/reload happens.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah i agree with you, but please let's don't talk about it here or there will be a bunch of guys jump out saying hey u can choose not to use it if you think it is broken :)

Well, I never said "it's not a bug, it's a feature". Whenever you use it or not is up to you till they patch it. Simple as that, nobody force anyone to anything in this game. And well, you are correct- you can choose, or someone stack behind you with knife in your house saying "use reload bug or die?

Besides wasn't it you who posted build about Dragon Tarshed triggering Sungraze AOE attacks? It's also a bug and should not happen, yet that didn't stop you from posting it and letting everyone know that they can run it :)

Same is here.

Edited by Voltron

Well, I never said "it's not a bug, it's a feature". Whenever you use it or not is up to you till they patch it. Simple as that, nobody force anyone to anything in this game. And well, you are correct- you can choose, or someone stack behind you with knife in your house saying "use reload bug or die?

Besides wasn't it you who posted build about Dragon Tarshed triggering Sungraze AOE attacks? It's also a bug and should not happen, yet that didn't stop you from posting it and letting everyone know that they can run it :)

Same is here.

He only posted his observations, though; not a fully fledged out build.

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull: