Has anyone else noticed that the skills you get as a Watcher/Herald of Berath change depending on (I assume) your dispositions?

Phantoms of the Lost

Chorus of the Lost

Mercy for the Lost

Sympathy for the Lost

No Pity for the Lost

Commandment of the Lost

No Time for the Lost

Visage of Death's Herald

Ire of Death's Herald

Mien of Death's Herald

Wit of Death's Herald

Awe of Death's Herald

Cruelty of Death's Herald

Majesty of Death's Herald

Raiment of Death's Herald

I got "Wit of Death's Herald" I assume because "Clever" is my highest disposition. Which ones did you get? Can you tell which disposition they're associated with?

• Like 4

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Mien of Death's Herald

No Pity for the Lost

No Time for the Lost

4 Rational, Honest, Diplomatic

3 Benevolent

2 Stoic

1 Clever

0 Others

Also have the same ability setup with a different Watcher with

3 Shady

2 Cruel

4 Others (she is one conflicted soul)

I don't think it's dispositions, maybe your responses in interactions with the gods/Eothas?

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Has anyone else noticed that the skills you get as a Watcher/Herald of Berath change depending on (I assume) your dispositions?

Phantoms of the Lost

Chorus of the Lost

Mercy for the Lost

Sympathy for the Lost

No Pity for the Lost

Commandment of the Lost

No Time for the Lost

Visage of Death's Herald

Ire of Death's Herald

Mien of Death's Herald

Wit of Death's Herald

Awe of Death's Herald

Cruelty of Death's Herald

Majesty of Death's Herald

Raiment of Death's Herald

I got "Wit of Death's Herald" I assume because "Clever" is my highest disposition. Which ones did you get? Can you tell which disposition they're associated with?

What do the different Deaths Heralds do? I always end up with the one that adds Might.

Isn't it related to the choices you make in main story dialogues?

I am fairly sure I got pity for the lost (healing) if I tried to reach for the lost souls in the first contact with Eothas, and No Mercy For The Lost if I choose to ignore their soul and reach for mine.

I just noticed that I got Raiment of Death's Herald this time around instead of Mien. Sympathy for the lost stayed the same. I think I chose slightly different dialogue options for the encounter with Eothas in Hasongo.

I looked up some the other day. Only found the first skills so far. Good to know it's how you interact with Eothas the first time that decides if you get the healing upgrade.

-Eothas! Stop! 
will grant you Chorus of the Lost - Distracted&Hobbled (Foe AoE: 2,5m radius)

-Search for your Soul.

will give you No Pity of the Lost - Distracted (Foe AoE: 2,5m radius; Steadfast Inspiration on Self)

Reach for Lost Souls.

Will give Sympathy for the Lost - Distracted (Foe AoE: 2,5m Radius); Heal 35[base] (Ally AoE: 2,5m Radius)

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Watcher+Abilities

• Like 8

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone figured out what decides the Death's Herald variant? I spent a couple reloads at the first God council after you get the defiant up and going and was only able to switch it up between Mein(Perception), Ire(Might), Wit(Intellect), and no upgrade. However, I never did figure out how I was getting it to swap. It doesn't appear to be tied to a single choice(though I didn't do any extensive testing to prove it) and the apparent limitation despite greatly varying my choices could very well imply it is disposition based in at least part.

Going through my saves indicates that nearly every one of my characters has had Mein despite their dispositions. My Bleak Walker is Mein. My Clever Pirate is Mein, and my Berath's Priest/Monk that I dropped early is Mein. If it is disposition based I would guess that Mein is tied to rational. Whenever I went full Stoic in that convo I would get no upgrade. And Wit did appear when I focused on Clever responses. But only if I avoided picking any Stoic options and avoided Rational when I could. Stoic would end up with no upgrade or Mein and Ration would also put me in Mein. And don't ask how I got Ire. It only happened once and I couldn't get it to repeat. I had been watching anime and not paying much attention to my choices. So I was curious what choices got that. As a gold pact paladin my Passion and Aggression are 0 so far. This would seem to imply that ether Ire isn't tied to those two, or it is choice and not disposition based. Of course since all those choices are pretty much tied to dispositions that could be clouding the issue.

Well I'm not totally sure but I think Mien comes from diplomatic choices, Ire from Passion and Wit from clever. I haven't tested thoroughly but I went diplo and got Mien.

• Like 2

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Well I'm not totally sure but I think Mien comes from diplomatic choices, Ire from Passion and Wit from clever. I haven't tested thoroughly but I went diplo and got Mien.

It might be the very last choice in your first conversation with the gods that decides it, because I got Mien when I picked the Diplomatic option and Wit when I picked the Shady option.

post-51558-0-98025900-1528657613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

That does beg the question of how my Bleak walker got Mein though. I chose mostly Aggressive/Cruel if they were available and actively avoided Diplomatic for obvious reasons.

@Cenic - That was the option I tested the most, since I figured it was the most logical to be the 'big one'. In fact my Wit one came from picking everything clever and then picking diplomatic in the last one. If I picked all clever and then picked the rational one I would get Mein. All Shady options got me Mein as well if I recall. My character was nearly hard locked into Mein. It took aggressively picking everything but a rational or stoic option to get something else and avoid picking those two at all costs to get something else. Except for Ire. I know I had some rational when I got Ire.

Edited by Usana
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested this and its correct as far as i can tell.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't remember the name, but I got one that gives an intellect inspiration and sometimes it's Brilliant. I took too long to notice this amazing ability.  :facepalm:  :banghead:

well, thats what i am trying to get, i think i had almost allways perception - which is not bad, but my watchers have allways maxed perception possible anyways

i need brilliant for mindstalker assasin... otw i need to take another mindstalker just for ancient memory - which is ridiculous - i love cipher but two = meh

general consensus seems - clever, so this playthrough i will try only clever or no indicator options with gods, nothing else... but im worried that it wont be so easy

btw - imo it is absolute blast skill to have, especially if you dont have cipher in party, or solo, or watcher is cipher multiclass with resource hungry class, like assassin etc

replenish class resources vs any other tier3 buff wins almost allways

and i wonder why noone investigated this properly

EDIT i am pretty sure, that i did all clever options already, but when there was not clever, i went for rational or stoic or cruel few times... so only option remains, clever + rest neutral

EDIT 2 - yes got it, all clever and nothing else, just neutral if there is no clever - meanwhile i figured that brilliant got nerfed... but still helps!

Edited by kiki78
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of a necro—apologies for that.

To get Ire, which is the MIG one, I chose all Passionate dialog options and went for Aggressive when Passionate was unavailable.

However, these abilities give random tier Inspirations instead of consistently giving the 3-tier one. Because it is not something you can consistently rely upon, it's hard to build around it. There are more reliable sources of high-tier inspirations.

There's a mod on Nexus to undo the Brilliant nerf for those keen on doing so, by the way.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible to not have Visage of Death's Herald upgraded to any of the ones that gives you an inspiration after you spoke to gods before reaching Neketaka for the first time.

In my new playthrough I only have Visage of Death's Herald after speaking to the gods (before reaching Neketaka for the first time) because of the dialogue options I took. I loaded the save before speaking to the gods and tried a few different dialogue options, some of which ended up giving me Mien of Death's Herald, others leaving Visage of Death's Herald un-upgraded.

Edited by DaylenAmell

Bit of a necro—apologies for that.

To get Ire, which is the MIG one, I chose all Passionate dialog options and went for Aggressive when Passionate was unavailable.

However, these abilities give random tier Inspirations instead of consistently giving the 3-tier one. Because it is not something you can consistently rely upon, it's hard to build around it. There are more reliable sources of high-tier inspirations.

There's a mod on Nexus to undo the Brilliant nerf for those keen on doing so, by the way.

I just tested Mien of Death's Herald and Awe of Death's Herald and found that they always give the lowest tier inspiration. My game version is the newest version now (4.0.1.0041).