Favorite and least favorite companions + sidekicks

Companion Love/Hate  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Who ist thou favorite companion/sidekick in Deadfire?

• Aloth
    • Eder
    • Maia Rua
    • Pallegina
    • Serafen
    • Tekehu
    • Xoti
    • Ydwin
    • Rekke
    • Konstanten
    • Fassina
    • Mirke
  2. 2. Who ist thou least favorite companion/sidekick in Deadfire?

• The Emo Elf
    • The Farmboy
    • The Hitwoman
    • The Snarky Atheist
    • Slavery is Wrong
    • The Handsome Fish
    • Two Whoops and a Holler
    • The Librarian
    • The Foreign Kid
    • Big Hands
    • The Shop Attendant
    • I Forgot to Wear Undewear

It is displeasant and kill personnality of each.

That is strange. I thought it did fit their characters very well. But what do I know, I'm just a straight white male who enjoys gaming and does not waste thoughts about weather or not it is fitting for a character to like ****. Is it fitting for me to like vaginas? What do you think? Maybe I'm more of a homosexual kind of character but never knew?

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

Aloth: didn't care about him in PoE 1, don't care about him now.

Eder: ditto.

Maia Rua: manipulative, dutiful, but at the same time rather bland. Best to leave her in Neketaka.

Pallegina: something bad happended in those five years, and a self-confident, mature woman turned into bitter misotheist.  At least she sometimes thinks for hersef.

Serafen: Mr. Disney Pirate, carefully constructed in such a way that he doesn't offend our modern sesibilities.

Tekehu: spoiled, self-abosorbed, naive and very believable. In a world when your tribe (or a nation) is everything, Tekehu effortlessly spits on his, and doesn't even understand what is he doing. An excellent companion, probably the best to have around in Deadfire.

Xoti: immature but also practical and straightforward, it's easy to understand and like her.

Fassina: betrays Arkemyr at the drop of a gloves. Not really someone I would want to guard my back on a wolrd-saving quest.

Konstanten: a hireling wiht a pregenerated class and name.

Mirke: Ms. Fanservice/Comic Relief Pirate. Obsidian certainly know how to make pirates. 

Rekke: scrapped protagonist?

Ydwin: short but interesting conversation at the beginning, then nothing. A disappointment.

To be honest i am rather disappointed with companions overall. None of them were interesting enough, and i ended up playing with adventurers most of the game. My second playthrough will definately be adventurer only. And yes i dislike eder as well, its as if he's not witty but he's someone trying to be witty. Nothing like alistair from DAO

And i kinda dont understand why people dislike Durance. He literally was the only companion that was well done overall. Great voice actor, and unique dialogue. Never in any other game have i met a priest that would call the goddess he worships a fickle whore. The balls on this guy made me love him even more.

• Like 2

And i kinda dont understand why people dislike Durance. He literally was the only companion that was well done overall. Great voice actor, and unique dialogue. Never in any other game have i met a priest that would call the goddess he worships a fickle whore. The balls on this guy made me love him even more.

I didn't hate Durance. I pitied the poor guy. Think of what he went through - he followed his goddess's will and killed another god, did horrible things in her name when he participated in the Purges, and how does she reward him? She intended for him to die and now he's invisible to her. It's the ultimate betrayal.

My Watcher wanted to help him, but there isn't much you can do for him. Debating him and questioning his beliefs is, ironically, the nicest thing you can do.

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

In the first POE everone is an outcast.

Eder: prays to the wrong god

Aloth: fled his own country from his family

Sagani: spend years in a foreign land looking for someone

Durance: Even his goddess left him.

Kana: A scholar travelling around the world

Except Pallegina who loves her country but the game suggest that the ducs da not love her.

Everyone except the avian godlike has no home they can or want to return to, so they just stick with the watcher since it seems like the best thing to do.

In PIllars 2

Maia serves Rauatai, so if she helps the watcher damage the Deadfire Company she commits treason and will never be able to return home.

The only ones that remain aimless drifters are Eder, Aloth and Tekehu, the others are working for some group or organisation so they now have things to lose.

Edited by Dodo00d

Eder : He always my favorite companion, I don't mind he is non-romanceable,but I don't like his personal quest, Honestly, continue to search the answers about his brother and Saint's War is much better than to find his ex-girlfriend.

Serafen: He remind me of Hiravias.

Ydwin: I hope she can become a companion in DLC.

I feel like all companion personal quest  is too short and tedious.

The fact people hate Tekehu more than Maia makes me weep.

I'm chalking this up to first impressions. There's not much to hate about Maia when you meet her, whereas you get all of Tekehu's worst qualities up front. If you never bother with their personal quests I can see how that might happen. 

Personally I don't think Tekehu's bad qualities are all that bad but some people really seem to hate them. Poor sweet fishboy. 

• Like 5

Personally I don't think Tekehu's bad qualities are all that bad but some people really seem to hate them. Poor sweet fishboy.

Same. I genuinely dislike people who are full of themselves in general, but with Tek I found it endearing/funny more than obnoxious.
  • Like 2

nvAeseu.png

If you never bother with their personal quests I can see how that might happen. 

It doesn't really take much to see that Tekehu is quite different from what his initial impression suggests though. Do people dump him immediately after meeting him?

My first reaction to Tekehu after the initial dialogue was "Errr, you can't be serious" as well. But then we went straight to the Gullet, and boom, turns out he isn't really as self-absorbed as it seemed, he actually cares a lot. Then we came go back to the Watershapers guild, and there was that student struggling with his Forms, and Tekehu was suddenly helpful and encouraging towards him, so it became obvious that while full of himself, he wasn't even remotely arrogant. Two short encounters, and I was already warming up to him.

Edited by Yria
  • Like 1

It doesn't really take much to see that Tekehu is quite different from what his initial impression suggests though. Do people dump him immediately after meeting him?

No, not immediately, I needed to go to a tavern to dump him and got even worse impressions from his dialogs there.

In Tekehu I saw a lot of myself/my peerage (children from privileged backgrounds, for whom the world is their oyster... but they also carry a heavy burden of high expectations)

I also felt like my Watcher and Tekehu both acted silly to hide their real feelings of fear and self-doubt. Which Aloth hates!

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

In Tekehu I saw a lot of myself/my peerage (children from privileged backgrounds, for whom the world is their oyster... but they also carry a heavy burden of high expectations)

I also felt like my Watcher and Tekehu both acted silly to hide their real feelings of fear and self-doubt. Which Aloth hates!

My favourite watcher does that too. He jokes and pranks around to evade the inner abyss and because he doesn't like to be branded some kind of hero/special or be the center of attention unless it's because he's the buffoon. It's something I'd expect a character like Aloth to "get", but apparently whoever wrote him is of a different opinion. :|  My current one just drowns it all out with booze instead as then at least he can get in Mister Nosesigh's pants :'(

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Fav Tekehu hands down. I love everything about him and thank you Obsidian for making a bi guy that shows attraction to other male npcs. Bioware should learn some...

Ofc he's the least fav #toxicmasculinity lol

Edited by nickclark89
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Fav Tekehu hands down. I love everything about him and thank you Obsidian for making a bi guy that shows attraction to other male npcs. Bioware should learn some...

Ofc he's the less fav #toxicmasculinity lol

BioWare has gone downhill and I find them to be filled with SJWs.

Obsidian is more my thing.

• Like 1

How come Modwyr isn't a choice. :( By far the best one, would pay for more content with her.

I had 3 companions I did like Xoti, Tekehu and Edér. They had good written personalities and the dialogue with them was belivable.

The one I was most disapointed in was Palegina, I liked her in PoE1 but didn't really care for her at all in Deadfire.

The Sidekicks and Maia I never used so can't really comment on them. The fact that I never even spoke to Maia after recruiting her I guess is a sign of me not finding her interesting at all.

Overall a mediocre cast of companions in Deadfire, especially if compared with PoE1.

Edited by freche

Man it is funny but the Dallas Cowboys effect can be seen in this poll.  For those who don't know the Dallas Cowboys effect,  it is thus, you either hate them, or love them.  You don't feel indifferent.

Tekehu and Xoti are the second, and third most liked companions respectively based on this poll.  They are also the most disliked, and second most disliked characters respectively based on on this poll.

In fact, they have been voted for one way or the other 143 times, on a poll that has been taken by only 244 people.  So one or both of them have been voted for by over half the people who took the poll.  Even  more interesting is Tekehu has been voted for 77 times one way or the other, which makes him the most voted for character.  Meanwhile Xoti has been voted for 66 times, only Eder and Tekehu have more total votes than her.  Eder only beating her by 4 votes.

This says one thing if anything, kudo's to Obsidian, you designed those two companions very very well.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

• 10 months later...

dont know why so many disllike xoti (although its 50% for and against her, she divides opinions)  . Xoti is a great contrast for pallegina and her story, personality and romances are great.  although i dont think monk class has anything to do with her.   a passionate person full of romances is probably not adequate for being a monk.  if a POE3 is made.  xoti needs to be on it.  at least if you romanced her , its kinda  obligatory for her to be on poe3.  mirke was the one i chose for least liked because she has nothing to do with monk and just one relatively short quest.

Edited by nouser

3 hours ago, nouser said:

dont know why so many disllike xoti (although its 50% for and against her, she divides opinions)  . Xoti is a great contrast for pallegina and her story, personality and romances are great.  although i dont think monk class has anything to do with her.   a passionate person full of romances is probably not adequate for being a monk.

Yeah, lots of people dislike her. She ended as my personal favourite of PoE2 companions. "That was about as useless as a bump on a pickle". Manm to confusion of people around, that line made it into my everyday vocabulary. Or maybe that's because I attempt to say it with really bad southern accent. 

Considering, how flattened out companions felt when transfered from PoE1 to PoE2, I would rather have PoE2 companions have a small cameo, but with interactivity intact, than be flattened out into something which can cover for multiple endings. I for one would love to fight the evil psycho Xoti 😈

Who says monks can't be passionate? PoE doesn't always adhere to traditions.