Favorite and least favorite companions + sidekicks

Companion Love/Hate  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Who ist thou favorite companion/sidekick in Deadfire?

• Aloth
    • Eder
    • Maia Rua
    • Pallegina
    • Serafen
    • Tekehu
    • Xoti
    • Ydwin
    • Rekke
    • Konstanten
    • Fassina
    • Mirke
  2. 2. Who ist thou least favorite companion/sidekick in Deadfire?

• The Emo Elf
    • The Farmboy
    • The Hitwoman
    • The Snarky Atheist
    • Slavery is Wrong
    • The Handsome Fish
    • Two Whoops and a Holler
    • The Librarian
    • The Foreign Kid
    • Big Hands
    • The Shop Attendant
    • I Forgot to Wear Undewear

Personally (dwarf companion front please don't put a contract on me) I think Ydwin, Rekke, and Fessina seriously deserved to be real companions. 

Fessina is a *great* character, and I actually used her for a while because I think she's awesome, but gameplay-wise, well...I didn't realize she's a conjurer wizard, which means she's *TERRIBLE*.

Edited by Katarack21

I voted Konstanten for least favorite (dwarf companion recovery front, please don't shoot me, Sagani was one of my absolute favorites!) because of all the sidekicks he seemed to have the fewest reasons to come along with us, and we didn't even have any interactions with him prior to his recruitment to let us get to know him better, unlike, say, Fassina. With that out of the way, I didn't really dislike any of the companions this time around. At worst I was just meh about them.

And it's the three returning companions I'm not excited about.

Eder appears to be his same old self on the surface, but while I never dropped him from my party in the first game, here I found no problem with leaving him on the ship for most of the time. Maybe I missed some interesting interactions because of that, but his remarks felt deeper and more meaningful to me in PoE 1. Everything seems to be there, but I can't help feeling that something is missing. So I find him okay, but I honestly wouldn't notice if he was missing.

Pallegina I liked better this time, though that wasn't really hard because I didn't like her at all in the first game. She felt so disjointed there, I couldn't even grasp what her character was about. Now, at least, I feel like I somewhat know her as a person. My scientist Watcher who supported the VTC the whole way went along great with her, but her agressive anti-religious attitude was almost a bit too much for me at times. I don't like the gods too, but come on.

Aloth... I find it very difficult to judge Aloth right now because he was the Mister Bug-A-Lot of my first playthrough and gave a lot of bizarre reactions that I know for a fact were not supposed to be there. Overall he seemed like himself from PoE 1, only more uptight and judgemental. If not for the bugs, I would have probably liked him more. His quest was nice though, if a bit short. I didn't realise how much I missed that one guy from the first game, you know who I'm talking about, until I saw him.

Overall, those three felt like they were kinda shoehorned for the old times sake, with only Pallegina having more or less solid reason to be here.

The remaining four I all liked to some extent.

Maia was probably the most interesting to me. I wanted to punch her in the face more than once, but I like characters who give me controversial feelings. I felt her disdain for the huana was psychologically believable due to the circumstances in which she grew up and, for this reason, interesting to deal with. And surprisingly we managed to part ways in a very polite, almost warm manner when I sided with VTC. Also, she sort of saved me from Xoti's hungry advances when they ended up together, which was an act of true heroism in my eyes.

Tekehu takes the cake for giving the worst first impression possible lol. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the people who considered him their least favorite just benched him right after his recruitment and never actually saw his development. He turns out to be not even nearly as self-centered and shallow as he might appear at first. He also gets lots and lots of reactions from various npc all over the game which were fun to observe. I liked Tekehu and Maia equally but voted Tekehu because his voice was a love at first sound for me.

Xoti I had every reason to hate - her over zealous nature, her thick accent, her constant attempts to hit on me that wouldn't stop till the very end of the game - but somehow ended up liking anyway. I'm still trying to figure out why. Her combat barks are quite funny, and I love her idle lantern animation, but I doubt those are the reasons.

Serafen was likeable overall, and I had him in my party for most of the game since he was our chief lockpicker, but I kept hoping there would be more to him than just a pirate who used to be a slave and has warm memories of his adopted father (which was cute, but not terribly deep). Still, the crazy pirate uncle was fun to have around.

Edited by Yria
  • Like 2

Wish I could have voted for more than one favourite, as there is a number vying for that place. Eder won out here, but it depends  a lot on my mood. Serafen was a surprise hit for me, not that I thought I would dislike him but rather that he would work his way into my heart so well, feel that he should be doing better and is probably a lot of people's second or third choice though I have nothing to base that on. Guess I have a thing for 'genial' characters, as both Serafen and Eder come across as rather genial to me, while still being witty and sarcastic.

Maia ended up being most disliked, but that is simply because she is a bit boring tbh. Her openly spying on you is also not as witty as she seems to think. "I am going to be spying on you, just so you know." "Uh, great, get off my ship then..." Felt more attachment to the bird. Guess Kana managed to avoid the Rauataian Personality Drainer while she didn't. Not that I actually dislike her really though, its more "meh" than any negative feelings towards her.

Tekehu wasn't as bad as I thought he would be, thought he would be my most disliked character but while he is not top rated character he isn't the worst either. Unlike Maia, he actually provokes reactions from me both good and ill, his arrogance rubs me up the wrong way but he is likeable enough that he gets away with it.

Mostly I think I am overall happy with the characters mainly because none of them had plot armour or felt like the GM's pet character, unlike characters in other games like Morrigan in Dragon Age, resulting in the following situation:

Morrigan: "You should have killed me when you had the chance."

Me: "I would have done, repeatedly, but the game never gave me the choice, even now its letting you run off when I should be stabbing you right now, and there have been other situations where you should have died but plot armour stopped it."

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'm kind of surprised that Maia seems to be so disliked. Out of the new (non-sidekick) companions, she was probably my favorite.

Seeing Tekehu get more humble with time also warmed him up in my eyes a lot. Do people just dump him after the initial conversation or something? Because I can agree that it's where he's at his worst.

Ekera.

People seem to take Tekehu too seriously. I'd find his self love obnoxious if it wasn't expressed with humour and/or if he was actually arrogant towards other people/if it wasn't obvious he feels insecure/overwhlemed by what's expected of him. OTOH I find people annoying who others don't, so maybe he's just not their cup of tea. Maia, for instance I legit cannot get behind, so much so I didn't recruit her at all my last pt.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that a whiney person like Alistair from Dragon Age could be so beloved by his respective fanbase. For Tekehu, it seems that the things that are funny about him get him disliked. But hey, I don't know the entire PoE fanbase. I only just got here.

Alistair is flawed, but I can't help but kind of like the guy.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised that Maia seems to be so disliked. Out of the new (non-sidekick) companions, she was probably my favorite.

Seeing Tekehu get more humble with time also warmed him up in my eyes a lot. Do people just dump him after the initial conversation or something? Because I can agree that it's where he's at his worst.

Ekera.

People seem to take Tekehu too seriously. I'd find his self love obnoxious if it wasn't expressed with humour and/or if he was actually arrogant towards other people/if it wasn't obvious he feels insecure/overwhlemed by what's expected of him. OTOH I find people annoying who others don't, so maybe he's just not their cup of tea. Maia, for instance I legit cannot get behind, so much so I didn't recruit her at all my last pt.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that a whiney person like Alistair from Dragon Age could be so beloved by his respective fanbase. For Tekehu, it seems that the things that are funny about him get him disliked. But hey, I don't know the entire PoE fanbase. I only just got here.

Alistair was a whiny bastard and I hate him. Now Anders, on the other hand, he and I had some *great* times slaughtering Templars.

• Like 1

Aloth really took writing a hit he seems uptight and pointless most of the time now, he can still be entertaining sometimes though.

Eder is just Eder, I like him but he hasn't developed at all if anything he has regressed.

Pallegina I really liked in the first game and I still like her in this one probably more than the others. However the VTC cheerleeder thing seems so game mechanics over plot, she was never like that before and has no reason to be now other than because of the factions and relationship system. I think her atheism makes sense though and I liked how for example she clashes with tekehu but then learns the error of her ways ect. It's cute.

Xoti I liked at first but her character seems to go nowhere, it annoys me that I have no choice to reveal the true nature of the gods to her. Feel like her quest could have revolved around that. Choosing to tell her or not to tell her, how she reacts, whether or not she comes to terms with it based on your relationship with her ect. Instead of the lantern thing.

Tekehu is the opposite of Xoti, annoying at first but he develops really well and I ended up liking him a lot. He's like a more interesting Kana.

Maia was one of the companions I was most interested in when origionally announced but to be honest I find her a bit weird, she's kind of a dark character that pretends not to be but idk if writing really goes anywhere with that. I think I need to try a character who uses her more though before I can really judge though.

Serefan is probably the most fun but also a little one dimensional.

Sidekicks in my opinion aren't worth the unique appearence and portrait they come with but Ydwin, Rekke, Fassina and Mirke are all great templates for companions it's just a shame that they don't have much content. Big hands guy I don't get, is he there just so there can be a dwarf companion?

• Like 2

So, conclusions after 152 votes:

Eder Teylecg is still fan favorite by far. (If you're ever running for president, be sure to pet lots of animals).

Xoti and Tekehu came 2nd and 3rd but they also got lots of negative votes, so fans are more split on them.
Tekehu in fact also got the most negative votes, proving that the Deadfire fanbase disapproves of vain fish.
Apart from the sidekicks, Pallegina got the least votes.

Ydwin and Rekke got a decent amount of up votes for mere sidekicks. In particular, Rekke has only a single negative vote. Missed opportunities both.

With only a single in-game conversation, Konstanten managed to piss off 15 people. Or maybe they just don't like dwarves? 
Fassina won the hearts of absolutely nobody with her "I hate my boss" stories.

Heh, no mind-blowing findings really.

• Like 6

I didn't have Tekehu in my party much, but he definitely left a good impression: his conflict's very believable, and his personality fits it quite well.

Maia's mostly how she seems on the surface: aloof, straightforward and dutiful, but her personal quest and deadpan remarks made up for most in my opinion. I can see why many call her bland, but I didn't mind having a companion who's mostly as she seems on introduction. She also has some great ambient comments when you romance her and enter a new area, though I don't remember the exact wording.

e.g. "Those souls that follow you around... are they always watching? *pause* ...as in, Always?", and something questionably innuendish involving Rauataian naval rams

Eder seems like they increased his inner "bro", and while he's still fun and dependable, I'm fairly certain he hit his head once too often between the two games.

Aloth seems slightly out of place, but I can't fault his reasons for being in the Deadfire: Engwithan ruins and an ancient Leaden Key offshoot are good enough for me to suspend disbelief. I also think most of the trouble *cough disliking everything cough* with him comes from the faulty relation system, and I liked his writing here myself.

Xoti's fun and makes you feel like a responsible older sibling for looking after her, and definitely has the best integration with the main story from what I've seen. However, she's exaggerated:  "Inexperienced farmgirl" with a blend of "Religious duty" and "Crazy zealot" depending on which way you go with her, and she loves everyone for some reason. Very similar to DA:O's leliana in concept, but not executed as well or as nuanced in my opinion.

Pallegina didn't spend much time in my party, mostly because it seems they took her opinions and loyalties in PoE1, and stretched them until they got a slightly obsessed zealot. Not to mention my dislike for the VTC probably wouldn't have worked with her. Will give her a fair chance in a future playthrough, like with Tekehu.

Serafen's your friendly neighbourhood pirate, which is why I liked him well enough. His reactivity in Crookspur could use some work, but the idea's good.

Fassina's a simple concept: Could make for a potential companion, but I think she's a perfect fit for a sidekick. Rather stuck up though.

Rekke's a plot hook, as fun as the guy himself may be. Don't see him being a full companion except as a plot vehicle.

Ydwin's a wasted opportunity, and I hope they add her as a full companion at some point.

Never met Konstanten (why would anyone go to the 2nd floor of the wild mare when there's an entire party thirsting for them?) so I can't really judge him as all I know is that he has big hands and a memorable voice.

As an aside, it's kind of odd how different the writing and general reaction to Maia and Tekehu is, as they were supposedly written by the same guy.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 4

Tekehu was the stand out for me. He in many ways out Eder'd Eder. On the surface he's nothing but a self obsessed hedonist, but whenever anything of significance is going on he gives away who he really is: a genuinely caring person with a big heart. From his outrage at the conditions of the Roparu and willingness to suggest whatever means necessary to alleviate their suffering, to his honest and well meaning efforts to understand Pallegina's childhood trauma, Tekehu is just a straight up good person.

Maia is the sort of inverse of Tekehu. On the surface she's easily to like, quick to crack a joke. Friendly and funny. She is, however, in words and deeds an enthusiastic goose stepping fascist and hella racist. You cannot take her anywhere without her singing the praises of how great colonialism is and how the savages have no hope of bettering themselves without being subjugated first (and, of course, their resources conveniently plundered to fuel imperial ambitions elsewhere). She's legitimately a kind of terrible person, though her quests can soften that.

• Like 6

I appreciated Maia. I went everywhere with Kana, and she's... really nothing like him, which is a nice little surprise in itself. Her jingoism and casual racism feel internalized to inhabiting Eora, and being steeped in esprit de corps. You can chip at it a bit, but mostly you have to take her how she is, which isn't bad as a concept, especially when it's mostly directed at other members of her own race.  

Her snark is subtler than some of the companions, which is a nice "blink and you'll miss it" bonus. 

Pallegina is doubly insufferable in this game, and being married to the most problematic faction makes it worse. But she's a Josh Sawyer character, and i'd be foolish to expect any better. Free shrugs.

But Tekehu could have been so much more nuanced and less cringey, or at least been tempered by the option to get aggressive towards his BS. As a representative of the most prominent culture, the fact that he's just an extended depravity joke is awfully disappointing. Finally, a companion for the Kanye Wests of the world. 

I remain disappointed how they handled Ydwin, but that's not the character's fault. Fashy elf is fine. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I do feel like Konstanten was poorly served by his own mechanics.

Personality wise, he's a blue-collar commoner, A Dyrwood drifter (never mind the incongruous ethnic cues) with simple mannerisms. As a dwarf, he's sturdy and industrious. Everything about him practically screams TANK. 

Instead, he's a Barbarian/Chanter. One role which requires him to dominate a battlefield, the other which demands he captivate attention and sing heroic ballads. 

Meanwhile, Poor Konstanten has an INT of 10. He's tough as nails, but hardly a beacon of inspiration. 

He should have had Fighter or Monk as a backup class, and Rekke should have been the chanter. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I like Eder the most. He's the Watcher's best bro. The only one out of the original crew who went out of his way to help you once he learned what happened to Caed Nua. Roleplaying-wise that goes a long way for my Watcher. 

I don't really have a least favorite, but I guess if you twist my arm I'd say Xoti. Her zealotry and her dialogue when she

asks to start up a relationship with you while also having been flirting with Eder (and you point this out to her) is very off-putting.

• Like 1

So, conclusions after 152 votes:

Eder Teylecg is still fan favorite by far. (If you're ever running for president, be sure to pet lots of animals).

Xoti and Tekehu came 2nd and 3rd but they also got lots of negative votes, so fans are more split on them.

Tekehu in fact also got the most negative votes, proving that the Deadfire fanbase disapproves of vain fish.

Apart from the sidekicks, Pallegina got the least votes.

Ydwin and Rekke got a decent amount of up votes for mere sidekicks. In particular, Rekke has only a single negative vote. Missed opportunities both.

With only a single in-game conversation, Konstanten managed to piss off 15 people. Or maybe they just don't like dwarves? 

Fassina won the hearts of absolutely nobody with her "I hate my boss" stories.

Heh, no mind-blowing findings really.

In Fassina's defence, she is pretty funny if you pay attention to her pre Arkemyr dialogue, read her diary and talk to SHOP IMP. She grew on me on my third playthrough. As for Tekehu, I'm suprised people hate him so much. He's a bit like Dorian from DA who doesn't get nearly as much hate, he has more redeeming features than negative ones and his conceited babble doesn't harm anyone, when the same cannot be said for the ever popular Eder, who I also like, but who can be super rude. Along with Aloth's current eyeroll incarnation, or Pallegina, Maia & Xoti's unquestioning adherence to third party orders, real or imagined, Serafen is the least objectionable character. xD

• Like 4

nvAeseu.png

First of all, I think there should be separate polls for companions and sidekicks, because what is now is a little mees. But to business.

Of companions:

I loved: Tekehu (whom I voted for in the poll), Serafen and of course Eder

I liked: Pallegina, Aloth

I mehed: Maia and Xoti

Of all companions I loved the most Eder, but he has grown to me in PoE1 and judging Deadfire alone he's not that close and not that deep. But still he has that special spot in my heart and my girlfriend laughed at me when I never ever dropped him from my party - 'cos he's MY Eder. 

Tekehu is for me the most deep and well developed character - from annoying mama's boy to gentle and wise young man fully aware of his duties, his purpose and his abilities. I loved his arc and I loved the way he matured. He's for me the most warm and kind person I met in Deadfire, and that's why he has my vote.

And there is Serafen, my easy going and little troubled soul, but still smiling and supportive. I grew very fond of him, and he lost to Tekehu only by an inch. 

Funny it is, couse before the release I was afraid that Tekehu and Serafen would be characters I will like the least, yet they ended up as my favourities.

As for Pallegina and Aloth they were mixed bags. I remembered them fondly from PoE1, but they "new" versions" were quite different.

Pallegina is the one I understand the most - she's embittered by the way the things turned out and she's trying to catch the one and only opportunity to be back in Republic's ranks. So there she is, bitter, tired, but still passionate. She now knows better who to trust (nobody), and who to hate. All the people whose actions she can't influence but who are responsible for her terrible state - and by no surprise that is the watcher, and of course, the gods. Regaining her trust is the biggest and toughest task. Still I was sometimes tired of her anti-god tyrrades and her bitchiness, but I totally understand it.

Aloth on the other hand has changed as well, but I don't know if like the way that change was introduced. I understand that he's tired of his task and he is now even more anxious about what he is doing, but I was more tired of him than of Pallegina. Still, he matured too, and he has his own ways and he's not afraid to tell you if he's not agreeing with you. Of course, this can be annoying as hell and spoiling the fun, but hey, it's like with Durance in PoE1 - maybe he is meant to be like this and he makes you think about the motivations and the outcomes of your actions. And that's neat.

As for Maia, I never grew close with her. I had problem with her soldier dutifulness (I'm kinda anarchistic person myself and my watcher is too) and with her racism. Her dislike for Huana was understable for me (some kind of Stockholm syndrome mixed with upbringing), but still quite hard to tollerate (I hate racists). So while we didn't have a click and I never did her quest, she's just meh for me and I don't think it will change in time.

Xoti... Well, Xoti is a different beast. She has a very good start and she's sparkly. She's young, optimistic type and should she be like this throughout the game, she would be lovable and she would have the potential to be another Tekehu. But sometime between the first and the second act she becomes more like grim goth teen. And that is - teen. I was very surprised by knowing she's 27 - I'd give her 16 at best. And that behaviour would be tolerable for teenager, but not for a grown-up woman she is. Also the ending of her quest felt flat - she had merely nothing to say or do with Eothas, she haven't change a bit. And that was kinda sad.

Of sidekicks:

I loved: Rekke

I liked: Konstanten, Fassina

I mehed: Ydwin, Mirke

Rekke for me is a great material for fully fledged companion. He's bright, he's handsome and he has that dark backstory lurking behind. I'd love to see of him more in DLC's or maybe in Pillars 3. Of course he should be a full comapnion there. 

Konstanten and Fassina seem to me to be quite easygoing. Of course Fassina was at that point in life where you hate almost everything, but she had the courage to change it and that's a thing I value great. And Konstanten did the same. I'd really like to see them both as companions in future DLC and see how they go along with each other. Oh, and I have a soft spot for Konstanten's voice (and big hands).

Ydwin is for me the missed opportunity. Honestly, I don't understand what's so fuss about her? Ok, she's the vampire chick, and she has cool backstory, but what next? I can give her a chance and see her as a companion in future DLC, but if this won't happen I won't mind.

And Mirke... I don't know. She's a pirate, she's orlan and she's constantly drunk. That makes her great ship crew, but not a proper companion and sidekick. There's too little about her and there's this embarassing story with her underwear which I see as very poorely done fan service (why it always has to be woman? and a drunken one? very, very ugly stereotype ahead...). So in the end I don't know and I think I won't cry if she wasn't in my crew at all. Another missed opportinity.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 4

The owls are not what they seem.

Maia is an interesting character, but because I HATE the RDC I am seriously considering just not recruiting her next time.

(Does that mean her friends' assassination missions fail?)

Gentle reminder that this is the no-spoilers forum.

As an aside, it's kind of odd how different the writing and general reaction to Maia and Tekehu is, as they were supposedly written by the same guy.

Wait, were they? Because if they were it's no surprise both of them ended up being my favorites. 

Xoti -.....- I was very surprised by knowing she's 27 - I'd give her 16 at best.

Wait, Xoti's 27?! I can see her being similar to a starry-eyed college freshmen, but wouldn't ever put her at 20 or older.

Edited by Taevyr