Steam spy isnt giving full access figues anymore

https://steamspy.com/app/560130

it says between 50,000 and 100,000 owners on the bottem left there but i think that is broken because it said that before launch

anyone know the sales figures so far?

Steamspy is unreliable ever since it cannot scrape steam accounts.

But from what I seen Deadfire flew completely under the radar on steam.

On top sellers it couldn't reach #1 and disappeared from top #10 within a week. 

Steamcharts show a player peak roughly half of the first game.

The real question should be "compared to Pillars 1" i guess.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

The real question should be "compared to Pillars 1" i guess.

But also compared to contemporary benchmarks, like DoS 2.

Torment Tides of Numenera, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Wasteland 2

I guess.

I have only played Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall out of them anyway.

• Like 1

nowt

I think that DoS 2 is more "popular" and "mainstream" (real 3D, turn based) than Pillars (real time with pause and old-school iso).

I do not imagine sales at the Larian level (but if I'm wrong it's so much better!).

Speaking of Larian,Colin McComb join this team today ! 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Some general musings as to sales of this type of game in general:

There was an interview with Josh Sawyer a couple months ago that went a little bit into this stuff, also touching upon Tyranny, which was perceived as having not performed as well as expected. It also touched upon a possible player/genre fatigue too. According to Josh, he doesn't think that's quite there yet. Still back in 2012, on top of the nostalgia for the IE games the Kickstarter banked upon -- there hadn't really been much of this type of game in like a decade. That's changed kind a bit -- in my perception even considering how things used to be like back then. Black isle/Bioware used to inhibit this specific niche of isometric party-based RPGs with (real-time) tactical combat for the most part. That may be my perception, but in terms of choice there is more going on now. In particular if you add smaller indies and crowdfunded games on top of that.

However, outside of Baldur's Gate, this had never been a huge "hit" thing. It was profitable  or wouldn't have kept getting made. However, I think if Sports Interactive or Out Of The Park Development had more competition in their sizeable niche, they'd find this a bit more challenging too. The big publishers don't go anywhere near what they do (similar to this one -- they are mainly structured for the big projects exclusively) -- and for independents it's tough to crack their niche, as they've made it all their own completely. It "helps" a bit that really somewhat decent sport simulations are probably some of the more complex things to code. Which is a technological entry level barrier that for point&click adventure games doesn't exist at all. And for RPGs, it depends on the scale of the project.

Edited by Sven_

Well, what ever the sells, they are good for zero promotion we had... One example, look at Cdprojekt red... there games are crazy hyped before people even see first screenshot.

Deadfire had 0 steaming before release, the price is a bit high as well... no preload... bugs... it all adds up... But the game is a Classic in my book so i hope they do good...

it says between 50,000 and 100,000 owners on the bottem left there but i think that is broken because it said that before launch

Why and how exactly would that make Steamspy inaccurate or unreliable? If anything, that would make it more accurate and reliable...

If you're talking about it mistaking family sharers and leech/idling accounts as actual owners, it doesn't. Otherwise I'd like to see appropriative proof of this "Steampy being inaccurate or unreliable".

Anyhoot,

I imagine the sales have drastically slowed by now compared to launch. We are nearing the end of the month and unlike D:OS2 which is still selling well and being talked about, I think people will forget about Deadfire (sadly). Plus we got alot of big tittles popping out in June.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Of course the sales will have slowed but it's still hanging in the steam best sellers for now and doing great on GoG, doesn't look to be as strong as the last game but it's not like anyone can really say what it has sold for sure either way. Releasing free dlc's is a great idea, they do that and keep supporting the game with patches and maybe the game will have longevity. It worked for CDPR

Comparisons to divinity os 2 are unfair. That game sold over a million copies in just over two months nobody expected that and nobody reasonable expects Deadfire to match those sales to be considered successful. 

Well, what ever the sells, they are good for zero promotion we had... One example, look at Cdprojekt red... there games are crazy hyped before people even see first screenshot.

Deadfire had 0 steaming before release, the price is a bit high as well... no preload... bugs... it all adds up... But the game is a Classic in my book so i hope they do good...

There was a preload on steam. 

Why and how exactly would that make Steamspy inaccurate or unreliable? If anything, that would make it more accurate and reliable...

If you're talking about it mistaking family sharers and leech/idling accounts as actual owners, it doesn't. Otherwise I'd like to see appropriative proof of this "Steampy being inaccurate or unreliable".

Anyhoot,

I imagine the sales have drastically slowed by now compared to launch. We are nearing the end of the month and unlike D:OS2 which is still selling well and being talked about, I think people will forget about Deadfire (sadly). Plus we got alot of big tittles popping out in June.

Steamspy never used hard data and has always been unreliable "by design", it worked with a combination of data and esteems.

Not really that recently, a couple of months ago, steam changed the default profile settings of users from public to private, so steamspy cannot see peoples games anymore making steamspy almost completely useless.

And while steam is the biggest store/platform I don't think that the sum of all the copies sold from other stores should be overlooked (especially from gog).

Edited by Daled
  • Like 4

Anyhoot,

Can’t wait for those big tittles to pop out!

• Like 1

I don't think there's really much basis to imagine that. I've been watching the "top sellers" rankings on Steam and it's been doing well, the metacritic score is very good (the critical score especially), it's moved *up* in the SteamSpy rankings since a week ago, etc.

I think some folks are trying to push a narrative that the game is failing but there doesn't seem to be any support for it. Last I saw it was beating DOS 1 in terms of max simultaneous players and DOS 1 was a perfectly successful game.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 7

Originally I thought Dradfire would have a harder time because there were big titles coming out in May but those titles got pushed back so there wasn't much competition to begin with (I'm not tlaking about Crpg's but just big games in general). So seeing how less of competition that Deadfire had compared to D:OS1 and 2, the variables are quite different. I think that's what separates that success and trophy factor. Since this year has some huge games coming out (from June to November), I'm curious to see if the longevity of full price sales will hold a candlestick to D:OS1 or 2 sales. We shall see, do you agree? Yes, yes, I know you all do :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Plus we got alot of big tittles popping out in June.

Damn, I misread "tittles" as  :brows:  . Too early in the morning. I need to go back to sleep... -_-

• Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I think some folks are trying to push a narrative that the game is failing but there doesn't seem to be any support for it. Last I saw it was beating DOS 1 in terms of max simultaneous players and DOS 1 was a perfectly successful game.

POE1 high concurrent peak is probably the results of the amount of backers starting the game on release day. DOS1 peak happened ~2 months after the game was released and it was a peak, not a steady increase (there was probably a sale).

POE2 had a lot less backers than POE1 (~34k vs ~77k) which would affect release peak.

Looking at achievement is interesting. Early last week, when I checked on GOG not even 40% of owners had left tutorial island. Today that amount is 61.7%. The stats is similar on Steam (63.7%). Looks like ~25% of owners waited for the first patch.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Steamspy is still the most accurate way to tell things at the moment, I mean, it's different now but still alot more accurate than listening to someone on a forum say "Well we don't really know what the sales are so no." Vs someone saying "We have at least some information on where abouts." Some info is better than none, we're are looking at it as false or inaccurate when it's now partial information. Let's stay in a season of reason.

Being a top seller this month on Steam, GoG or anywhere els is not a victory or an accomplishment. Look at what's slightly behind and in front if it. Do you see it now? Do you? Now go fetch me a 7up, I'm feeling kinda down. Deep down, I think most of us knew it would go this way - Even with th pirate ship looking cover being used as a marketing tool.

Even more interesting though, Divinity: Original Sin 1 was a HUGE seller on consoles. While PoE1 is one of te worst selling console games of this generation. How are we to excuse that? It's not like one catered to console games more than the other or like one had better marketing than the other. In fact, PoE1 had slightly better marketing on console....So...Something to think about..If you like to think, that is.

And that concludes the thread. For I, SonicMage have spoken and my words are not a joke but to be heeded with majestic purpose! If not, then you shall feel the wrath of my magic missile ;) ;)

Edited by SonicMage117

I think it did well. It was at the top of best sellers on release day and has maintained a nice place in the list since on Steam. Comparing it to DoS2 is a bit unfair because that's an outlier. Normally these games don't reach such a wide audience. It's the exception rather than the rule.