So do we have any idea what do the storms near Rauatai have to do with Ukaizo? Is that just a geographical coincidence because they are near it (I have no idea about that part of the map)?

Rauatai not particularly nearby, not near enough to be affected by the storms at Ukaizo anyhow.

Their interest in Ukaizo, when playing for Royal Deadfire Company,is that their may be a possible link to the storms that regularly thrash their homeland. The idea is that they could come across some knowledge would could help.

Consider that the Rauataians are descended from Huana who fled the archipelago in the wake of Ondra's... Erasure of Engwith, so it makes sense the device would also try to target them. Or the descendants fled with a bit of tech they tried to use, only it went sideways and once the storms started, it did the same to Rauatai.

• Like 1

It could be a plot hook for a potential sequel, similar to how the existence of Engwithan ruins in the Deadfire was mentioned in the first game. Tagaziel has a point in that it may be a side effect of the device trying to fulfill its purpose, but I think the Mortar's purpose was to specifically prevent Kith from discovering the Wheel, not simply stop discovery of Engwithan knowledge, or there'd have been a storm covering key parts of the Eastern Reach as well.

It's definitely going to have some connection to the Engwithans, what exactly remains to be seen. Keeping the development of a warlike, imperialist culture in check? Control the development of engineering among Kith, since Rauatai is supposed to have the most advanced engineers and Engwithan ruins may have helped with that? Is the landmass actually the largest remaining piece of Ondra's moon, which was settled by Kith, and she never quite came to terms with it not being forgotten? All we know for certain, is that Wael will be very angry if we ever find out.

It seems likely that the Rauatai storms were also deliberately hiding some Wheel related mechanism the Engwithans didn't want found.

It could even be why the Rauatai split off from the Aumauans in the first place. Perhaps they were originally sent there to protect whatever is hidden, as the Aumauans were tasked with protecting the secrets of the Deadfire. Perhaps this task is the true meaning behind the Tanvii ora Toha, the Rauatain sacred text which originated from the Engwithans.

According to the guidebook vol 1, the Aumaua split over 15 000 years ago, that's a good 13 000 years before the gods were created.

Did they? Rauatai was founded two thousand years ago and their flight is part of the core myths of the Huana. I'll have to re-read the sources the way I do stuff for the Fallout wiki.

Speaking of which, both the Huana and Rauataian aumaua seem to be like 99% island aumaua, right?

With that in mind, how and where the heck did the coastal aumaua come into being? Has that ever been addressed beyond "they're very rare in Dyrwood"?

Speaking of which, both the Huana and Rauataian aumaua seem to be like 99% island aumaua, right?

With that in mind, how and where the heck did the coastal aumaua come into being? Has that ever been addressed beyond "they're very rare in Dyrwood"?

Rauatai is coastal, Huana are island. Might be the same mechanism that differentiated wild and hearth orlans.

Rauatai is coastal, Huana are island. Might be the same mechanism that differentiated wild and hearth orlans.

But they're not, that's the thing. From what we see in Deadfire, Rauataians seem to be mostly island auamua, too.

But they're not, that's the thing. From what we see in Deadfire, Rauataians seem to be mostly island auamua, too.

They're predominantly blue, not brown, Skazz. Blue is coastal and pretty much every RDC soldier is coastal. Maia is the notable exception, but everyone at the Brass Citadel is a coastal aumaua, for instance.

• Like 3

They're predominantly blue, not brown, Skazz. Blue is coastal and pretty much every RDC soldier is coastal. Maia is the notable exception, but everyone at the Brass Citadel is a coastal aumaua, for instance.

Oh, huh. I stand corrected.

I was under the impression that Hazanui Karu was island, so I double checked after your post, and you're absolutely right: Brass Citadel personnel is coastal.

Not sure why I thought they were island, really. My bad!

Edited by Skazz

According to the guidebook vol 1, the Aumaua split over 15 000 years ago, that's a good 13 000 years before the gods were created.

Did they? Rauatai was founded two thousand years ago and their flight is part of the core myths of the Huana. I'll have to re-read the sources the way I do stuff for the Fallout wiki.

From the guidebook: Aumaua have two widely divergent ethnicities that are geographically separated by thousands of miles, likely dude to a huge migration that took place over 15,000 years ago.

Rauatai, as an unified country, seems pretty young though.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Most likely there is some adra machinery in Rauatai that is connected to Ukaizo machinery. Question is what was it for? If it was to hide something there too then it's broken, because storms there are not as deadly as near Ukaizo. If it's not broken then perhaps it's a branch of the Wheel system, gathering souls in that part of the world, and transferring them to Ukaizo machinery.  Or it could be a retribution from the gods on those aumaua who left Deadfire after the cataclysm, not sure why they'd be mad at them though.

Edited by Aramintai