Let me start off by saying I'm very excited for Patch 1.1; Like many people, I've found PotD to be a challenge in the beginning, but once you get access to certain pieces of gear fairly early on in the game it gets trivial. As someone who beat Tyranny on PotD, I really want to try to give Deadfire a fair shot on the hardest difficulty. That said, with any sort of balance patch, I definitely have a few concerns - and I'd like to address them now. Please feel free to respond to them - I might just be overreacting.

My biggest concern is overnerfing, honestly. While I definitely understand not wanting immortal characters that remove all sense of challenge from the game, I'd much rather see underappreciated classes/multiclasses get some love than seeing things that are overpowered if used in a certain way get nerfed for everyone else. 

For example, I want to run a Fighter/Monk for my next playthrough because I think it could be a lot of fun - Monk gives Fighter some nice augments to damage, and Fighter has solid defenses. Plus, playing a drug Monk would provide a lot of really neat roleplay opportunities. But I've talked about all of that before. 

Fighter and Monk are, unfortunately, two of the classes that are used in a lot of the "Become a functionally immortal god" builds. And while I agree that some skills need tuning (Changing a lot of Full Attacks to Primary Attacks to encourage Dual Wielding, for instance) I hope they don't put too many desirable abilities behind PL8 and 9 (I'd be okay having Unbending go down to, say PL7 and then the enhancements go down to 8 or 9, for example - but I'd hate to lose it altogether. Similarly, while I think that the 25% chance on Crit to trigger an extra attack hardly qualifies as "small", I'd rather that be reduced to 10% or even 5% (So it's more of a reward) than have it go up to 8 or 9. Same thing with Turning Wheel - for a multiclass, that comes at level 16. 

The Chanter Invocation that renews class resources could be moved to 8 or 9, because that seems like sort of a capstone Chanter ability. 

By the same token, some skills at higher levels really don't make sense at those levels, and could stand to be made a little bit stronger. I know a lot of people have complained about Cipher and Priest, for instance. Cipher has some super powerful skills like Time Parasite or Defensive Mindweb, but then there are spells like Haunting Chains. Oooh, Terrified AND Hobbled. It's not like there's a lower level Cipher spell that causes Paral- Oh, wait. 

Basically what I'm trying to say is, there has to be a way to pick apart the builds that allow people to be completely invulnerable, while still keeping character creation robust and enjoyable. At the same time, I hope the balance changes and tweaks focus just as much on uplifting certain classes as on adjusting nigh immortal builds. 

TL;DR: What are your thoughts on the changes coming in 1.1 from a class balance perspective? What changes can you see coming to each class (Be as specific as you like). 

• Like 1

Fix broken/bugged abillities. Like infinite procs, easy inmoratality.

Fix things like Fury storm form (this does not scale with levels).

Fix things like totem curses not wearing off after fight.

Generally fix things to the state they ware intended for.

Fix spell power level scaling.

Fix dialogues, thirsty companions, and barter spawning.

Fix retraining and losing abilities like one given by backer npcs

Fix stealth/unstealth and spells, powers. Like dots breaking stealth.

Fix Managing mercs, like kick old merc from ship, or show total companion limit.

Cap skill scaling items to max 10.

Buff:

For starter Spells casting time, duration, effect to be proper for tier, and worth casting. Especially Priest

Buff Enemies HP on vet and potd. Just becouse player dump con, does not mean monsters should too.

Do not:

Nerf random things, and everythig which aparently works. 

Nerf class in general when very specific ability is op (like swift furry + Heartbeat Drumming, or st egida shieldbearer LoH variant)

Nerf class in general since it can use Frostseeker.

Push everything to level 20, so you cant see it play.

Try to "fix" resting system, or stuff which is not broken.

Harder things, i have no hope it will be done soon, but at some point they should:

Balance specific weapons and specific abillities of specific class. Mostly weapons with aoe potencial and proc potencial.

Subclasses: Beguiler, Corpse Eater, Mage Slayer, Wizardy Schools outside Evoker.

Variety of Grimoires (or specialization of each one)

Avaibility of named weapons of type

2 weapon vs 2hands styles vs fast weapons

End animal cruelty (Eder smirks with aproval) and give means to keep ranger pet alive.

Create or move more choices as level 1 picks for classes with like 2-3 talents there (fighter, rogue)

Create some talents for Casters or more neutrals. Other than spells.

But more spells of schools or levels which are empty is also cool.

Give more class options or combos for companions. Like 6 (instead of 3).

Improve AI syste,. especially with stuff like "is max focus" or "is immune to dmg type". Also option "perform basic attack".

Do something about class resource economy. You end with 11-14 resource. Your ability cost 2-3 (most of them). So you go dry after 6 casts.

Speed up loading screens if possible.

Use that telemetry data, to alter companions  builds a little, and give lv1 talents players tend to use.

Fix skulls showing up or not, when pick scaling only up. Or call it a feeature.

Rething disappearing gear when wildshape or polymorphing, sum of gear could be more powerful than final form, which is problem especially on Druid.

Make shipcombat enemy deaths to canonballs translate to less enemies to fight or autowin. Add upgrade to ship which allows fast forward to deck combat with less hull dmg "Adra Ram".

Total Dream:

Make Sidekicks more worthy party slot from RP reasons. Let them say something, give input to quest dialogues, or chat with full companions.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 15

I'd be happy with nerfs and buffs for potd. Buff the enemy and nerf the player, a lot of the martial classes are to strong.

I think it is a complete missed opportunity to introduce the companion specific subclasses and not have them un lockable for the player when I complete someone's person quest they should have it unlock for the player

• Like 2

I'd be happy with nerfs and buffs for potd. Buff the enemy and nerf the player, a lot of the martial classes are to strong.

I think it is a complete missed opportunity to introduce the companion specific subclasses and not have them un lockable for the player when I complete someone's person quest they should have it unlock for the player

Yeah I like the idea so if we finished one companion's personal quest, we shall be able to use his/her subclasses next playthrough, or maybe with the help of Berath's Blessing. I also hope we can choose Steel Garrote paladin and Wodica priest in the incoming DLCs.

Yeah I like the idea so if we finished one companion's personal quest, we shall be able to use his/her subclasses next playthrough, or maybe with the help of Berath's Blessing. I also hope we can choose Steel Garrote paladin and Wodica priest in the incoming DLCs.

You can do that already with mods, and mod support is part of the game's features. So I would say this should be a low priority. More (sub)classes would be nice as part of a DLC, however.

@evilcat I like your list, I can agree with almost everything you wrote. However about Ranger animal companions, I found that the issue is less their durability and more their damage/utility. My main is a Ranger/Chanter with a bear companion and he is very tanky and rarely goes down (despite low defenses). I also regularly use Maia and Ishiza doesn't really die much either. They both have Resilient Companion (+2 armor).

Their damage is pitiful though, mainly due to their long recovery time. This also means Takedown can't really be used reactively, as it takes too long to activate. Their base damage and attack speed are so low, it's a waste to invest in any damage talents, as literally any pet talent besides Resilient Companion and Protective Companion (a prerequisite for Stalker's Link) is better spent on the Ranger him/herself.

(Sorry for going a bit off topic)

• Like 1

rogue: 
--even low level rogue abilities deplete guile very quickly, meaning few abilities can be used per encounter. make a few more abilities cost only 1 guile --say blinding strike and successors
-- give rogue passive ability to gain guile by killing at power level 7 or 8. running out of guile makes single-class rogue rigid and boring class.
--at least one ring, bracer, or neckpiece should add guile in addition to other skills. If it isn't already in the game (?) there is a precedent: the fighter has bracers that add discipline. 

priest
-priest ought to get 2 free deity spells per PL, not one, so their overall pool is less extensive than Wizard (no grimoire switching on priest) but not excessively limited. this is probably ok for multiclass balance --how many people are now even rolling priest multiclass? Precedent: multiclass mage is receiving 2 free spells per PL solely from their grimoire.
-remove Holy Meditation (initially terrible and even more obsolete after Champion's boon).
--make consecrated ground a lvl 2 spell (rationale--priest has too many of its actually decent spells at level three, creates too much conflict). 
--add fear immunity spell from POE1 at level 3.
--holy power should give both resolute inspiration and strong inspiration (precedent: POE1). 
-grant priest +1 spellcasts for Powers Level 1-5  (space this out over levels 10, 12, 14, 16, 18). Could be going too far but drastic action is needed to make priest an actually decent class. Rationale: thematically priest should have more spell uses per encounter but a less extensive spell pool than wizard. (if not, at least give more +1 spell per encounter items). 

wizard
--revisit grimoires. weaken Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry (+1 spell at each level is too strong) but make other unique grimoires add +1 to spell casts of a range of levels, or add +1 free cast of various spells (Ningauth's Spellbook would grant +1 cast of each spell named after Ningauth, etc.)
--give wizard deep pockets passive option

paladin
--Shieldbearer of St. Elega passive should only add 25% Damage Reduction rather than rendering invulnerable. is currently too overpowered. 

fighter
--nerf unbending abilities. you have given fighter like multiple abilities that either revive him on death or greatly enhance defenses --it's just OP. 

Edited by lpro
  • Like 5

What? No! THe huge selection of classes and sub-classes is one of THE BEST THINGS about Deadfire. THis would just screw those of us over who don't have time for multiple playthroughs.

• Like 2

I would maybe like to see one step taken before one pushes things too far in the other direction. I would maybe like to see patch 1.1 focus more on tweaking the enemies and encounters first, and then look into rebalancing classes and builds for the next patch, instead of doing everything at once. Because, and obviously this is a personal point that I don't necessarily think everyone will agree with, to me I feel that the feeling of personal power is enjoyable and likewise an overtuned challenge can lead to a potentially more frustrating and unenjoyable experience than one that is on the easy side. To feel that everything is a challenge because you're too weak is not as rewarding as feeling everything's a challenge because the enemy is exceptionally strong.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Nerfing martial classes will nerf not only players but also enemies. Nerfing players can be done with nerfing stuff that is player exclusive like:

- watcher skills abilities

- Maia's animal companion

- shark form

Vancian =/= per rest.

The only things I'm really hoping to see nerfed are the proc items, skill scaling items, certain empowered Wizard spells, Inner death+empowered strikes, and full attacks.

For example, concussive missiles.  This may be more of a bug in need of fixing I guess, but they only check accuracy for the targeted enemy, then automatically hit everything else, so if you're picky with your target you can OHKO enemies you have a 5% chance to hit when you empower concussive missiles.

When I say full attacks, I mostly mean I think charge and flagellant's path ought to be primary attacks at best.  I also happen to believe making a lot of other attacks into primary attacks would help balance dual wielding against 2 handing and 1 handing, but that can wait till later.

After those few things, I hope more attention is put into bringing up trash tier abilities, like a lot of cipher and priest spells.  

Then once things shake out a bit they can consider more nerfing if necessary.

Edited by Climhazzard

Ok, pet dying could be something on my side, like friendly fire, or too high level encounters.

However, if Xoti dies to often i could do something. Give her bigger shield, better armour, some regeneration item, or protective jewelry.

With pet nothing could be done.

Could pick bear, but only at creation. And armour plating, but that is only 1 passive. There is aoe defense, but that is more for stalkers.

Comparing Lay of Hand with Heal Pet

- LoH works everyone, HealPet only on... pet

- both heal 2 ticks for 20hp

- HealPet upgrades is hardly useful, but LoH gives Robust, which is better hardy

- HealPet cost 2 bond, LoH only 1 zeal, this is super important, since martials could burn resources like no tommorow.

So at least HealPet could be buffed to be slighlty better from LoH to ofset limited target (pet only)

There could also be more passives to improve defenses of pet, if we want tanking pet, there could be passives for that.

Maybe fighter healing factor.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

rogue: 

--even low level rogue abilities deplete guile very quickly, meaning few abilities can be used per encounter. make a few more abilities cost only 1 guile --say blinding strike and successors

-- give rogue passive ability to gain guile by killing at power level 7 or 8. running out of guile makes single-class rogue rigid and boring class.

--at least one ring, bracer, or neckpiece should add guile in addition to other skills. If it isn't already in the game (?) there is a precedent: the fighter has bracers that add discipline. 

priest

-priest ought to get 2 free deity spells per PL, not one, so their overall pool is less extensive than Wizard (no grimoire switching on priest) but not excessively limited. this is probably ok for multiclass balance --how many people are now even rolling priest multiclass? Precedent: multiclass mage is receiving 2 free spells per PL solely from their grimoire.

-remove Holy Meditation (initially terrible and even more obsolete after Champion's boon).

--make consecrated ground a lvl 2 spell (rationale--priest has too many of its actually decent spells at level three, creates too much conflict). 

--holy power should give both resolute inspiration and strong inspiration (precedent: POE1). 

-grant priest +1 spellcasts for Powers Level 1-5  (space this out over levels 10, 12, 14, 16, 18). Could be going too far but drastic action is needed to make priest an actually decent class. Rationale: thematically priest should have more spell uses per encounter but a less extensive spell pool than wizard. (if not, at least give more +1 spell per encounter items). 

wizard

--revisit grimoires. weaken Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry (+1 spell at each level is too strong) but make other unique grimoires add +1 to spell casts of a range of levels, or add +1 free cast of various spells (Ningauth's Spellbook would grant +1 cast of each spell named after Ningauth, etc.)

paladin

--Shieldbearer of St. Elega passive should only add 25% Damage Reduction rather than rendering invulnerable. is currently too overpowered. 

fighter

--nerf unbending abilities. you have given fighter like multiple abilities that either revive him on death or greatly enhance defenses --it's just OP. 

Good post! Some thoughts on rogues and priests.

Rogue:

Agreed pretty much entirely. A high PL ability that gives back Guile on kills is a fantastic idea! Right now there is very little incentive to be a pure Rogue IMO, and getting Guile from killing enemies sounds great both mechanically and thematically.

As much as I like my multiclass rogues right now, I think it should be a PL8 or 9 ability though, not 7. Something only a single-class rogue can take (they're likely the only ones who would take enough active abilities to make good use of it anyway).

Priest:

Agreed.

Especially about PL3 having too many useful spells while other tiers have too few. Also a Resolve (fear) immunity around PL3 (although it would add to the problem of too many good PL3 spells) seems like a good idea, Chanter has the heal beams that give Resolve immunity at PL3 as well (I think), so it seems like a reasonable place for it.

Edited by Answermancer
  • Like 2

Comparing Lay of Hand with Heal Pet

- LoH works everyone, HealPet only on... pet

- both heal 2 ticks for 20hp

- HealPet upgrades is hardly useful, but LoH gives Robust, which is better hardy

- HealPet cost 2 bond, LoH only 1 zeal, this is super important, since martials could burn resources like no tommorow.

So at least HealPet could be buffed to be slighlty better from LoH to ofset limited target (pet only

Good points, especially the last line.

Why is an ability that only works on pets equal or worse in every way to one that works on everyone? Does it have better range at least? I don't remember.

Dude, the game is a cakewalk on the hardest difficulty. I don’t give a crap about over- nerfing. Better thAt than the current state where the game is largely without challenge.

Yeah? Well, I do. And so, it seems, do plenty of others. 

This isn't an MMO and doesn't need to be balanced like one. A few of the ways to make the game essentially trivial wind up gimping characters in other ways. 

For example, let's look at the skill-scaling items. If there's an item that scales based on History, and you decide to build fully around that, you're left either constantly retraining for history whenever you decide to go tackle some combat encounters, or you've effectively gimped your character when it comes to any other sort of passive skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, etc. Congratulations, all of the History knowledge in the world isn't going to help you against the group of bandits who'd be much more scared by you pulling a weapon on them. 

In fact, that's honestly something that could be limited on PotD - make it so you can't retrain off of some random street peddler or tavernkeeper, or limit the amount of times you can do so. If you want to start another playthrough with the knowledge of how to get that item that scales off of History or Metaphysics or whatever, go ahead and buff those scores through the roof - but don't expect to be able to negotiate properly with anyone else. If that's too much for PotD, it'd make a good Magran's Fires challenge.

I definitely agree that the level scaling needs work, and that it'd be nice if enemies actually utilized more abilities that they should have, as long as they're held to the same standard that we the players are. For instance, I've recently started a playthrough of PoE1 while I wait for this patch - Wolves can use knockdown. That's cool, that adds a new layer of challenge, and it's utilizing tools that players should reasonably expect to see. A Fighter should be able to use Knockdown, as well as Disciplined Strikes, or whatever other skills are reasonable for them to have at that level - and a Wizard should be able to use more than Spirit Shield and Minoletta's Missiles. 

So, yes, adjust the way enemies behave, give them immunities where appropriate, fix level scaling, maybe even add more. But be gentle with classes. Yes, some skills need to be brought down 'slightly' but it's a careful balancing act between bringing something down from 'OP' to 'Fun to use' and bringing something down to 'Trash tier.' Too much, and we're left with a bunch of relatively samey, boring classes that struggle against the various threats that await them in PotD. I hope Obsidian understands that some of us WANT the power trip. We just want to feel like the enemies have a chance of fighting back.

For those who absolutely want the most brutal, punishing experience possible - the true test of their real time, pause-based combat, isometric gaming cajones? Wait for more mod support. I'm sure there will be plenty of mods coming out that will make the game an absolutely brutal slogfest. There might even be some that restore the Endurance/Health system. For games like these, it's often the mod communities that are the only way the difficulty junkies can get the fix they need. 

Closing thoughts. By all means, if PotD isn't at a point where the DEVS want it to be, they should definitely take steps to address those problems. But please keep in mind that this isn't a game with a meta, or with "World Firsts" or DPS meters. It's a single player RPG. 

• Like 10

rogue: 

priest

wizard

paladin

fighter

Good post! Some thoughts on rogues and priests.

Rogue:

Agreed pretty much entirely. A high PL ability that gives back Guile on kills is a fantastic idea! Right now there is very little incentive to be a pure Rogue IMO, and getting Guile from killing enemies sounds great both mechanically and thematically.

As much as I like my multiclass rogues right now, I think it should be a PL8 or 9 ability though, not 7. Something only a single-class rogue can take (they're likely the only ones who would take enough active abilities to make good use of it anyway).

Priest:

Agreed.

Especially about PL3 having too many useful spells while other tiers have too few. Also a Resolve (fear) immunity around PL3 (although it would add to the problem of too many good PL3 spells) seems like a good idea, Chanter has the heal beams that give Resolve immunity at PL3 as well (I think), so it seems like a reasonable place for it.

@Answermancer 

So, I looked it up, and Paladin has the option of taking virtuous triumph (zeal on kill) at PL6, so it definitely available to multiclasses. I hedged on when Rogue should have a guile on kill passive because I could see the appeal of making it for single class only. PL 8 or 9 seems though like it might come just too late in the game. I could see an argument for PL 6 even because multiclass wouldn't receive the ability to take that passive until fairly late in level progression anyway whereas single-class rogue would have the ability for some time. Similarly, there are very few great rogue skills at PL 6. So I would adopt that on the basis that the benefits to having the ability for some time as a single-class rogue outweigh the benefits of denying it to a multiclass.  

• Like 1

I want to see Form of the Fearsome Brute (both Transmuter unique ability and the potion) get a rework.  As a concept it's ****ing awesome, but in practice it's absolutely awful.  For those not aware of what it does, it does the following:

- Gives you +4 Might, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -4 Int

- Replaces equipped weapons with ogre fists, which have very high base damage and deal pierce/crush damage but attack very slow; these fists benefit from Two Weapon Style (as you're effectively 'dual wielding' your fists) but do not benefit from Transcendent Suffering or Monastic Unarmed Training.  They also do not benefit from any sort of special effects or benefits from equipped weapons.  Damage and penetration scale with level, and they receive an accuracy bonus as well (so basically really big, really slow monk fists.)  Ogre fists do not have the Haymaker modal.

- Replaces equipped armor with special armor with base 7 Armor Rating and... +100% Recovery.  Armor rating scales with level... slowly.

- Disables all forms of spellcasting, including Priest, Druid, Cipher, and Wizard spells and Chanter Invocations.  Ciphers still continue to generate Focus and Chanters continue to generate Phrases.

- Replaces and is replaced by Druid spiritshifting.

So there are clearly conceptual issues here.  Notably, +100% Recovery on the equipped armor is ****ing insane considering it's about equivalent to medium armor and the Armor Rating scaling is such that you'll get +8 armor well after you've had Fine armor for a while, +9 long after you got Exceptional, etc.  Because it replaces your armor, it also means you don't gain any special benefits from it; if you were borrowing Eder's armor, you wouldn't get the auto-revive property, for example.  This is a pretty ****ing big deal, not just because it discourages a Transmuter from seeking out increasingly shiny and interesting armor.

Similarly, ogre fists don't scale at the rate you're likely to find new equipment and you lose any special effects associated with that equipment.  Even more notably, a Transmuter is practically forced to build to dual wield since single weapon style, sword and board style, 2H weapon, etc are all effectively useless while transformed... and you probably wouldn't pick Transmuter if not because you wanted to become a brown Hulk.

In short, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to use a Transmuter right now because their special benefit spell is more often a hindrance than a benefit, especially since it effectively forces you to take a martial class if you want to multiclass (which is fine, ultimately, I don't mind it locking out all spells and not just Wizard spells, it's exactly like spiritshifting for Shifter druids.)  I don't know why you can't just use your equipped weapons and armor - if I can transform my body into an ogre's, surely I can adjust my armor and weapons to fit my new size.  Enemies don't lose their weapons and armor when I turn them into a pig, after all!

Edited by PizzaSHARK
  • Like 1

Please take a look at Corpse Eater subclass. Firstly the flesh commune ability casting time of 3 secs is absurd for a 50hp heal. Then after mid-game all corpses explode somehow(crit?) and my barb can't eat anything. 

Dude, the game is a cakewalk on the hardest difficulty. I don’t give a crap about over- nerfing. Better thAt than the current state where the game is largely without challenge.

Well we're trusting them to make it more difficult. It'd be nice if it didn't take the form of over-nerfing. Everyone wants to feel powerful, not weak, but it's also better when you are fighting worthy opponents.

I believe Obsidian has said in the past that they tend to make things overpowered on purpose, at least a little so they can weed things out easier. If you just throw stuff to the wall you get a whole bunch of stuff that's useless and that no one will ever give feedback on.

Stuff will be nerfed into the ground. Believe me. You're going to rage through the tears.

Yes! We have no bananas.

Please take a look at Corpse Eater subclass. Firstly the flesh commune ability casting time of 3 secs is absurd for a 50hp heal. Then after mid-game all corpses explode somehow(crit?) and my barb can't eat anything. 

You can turn off gibs in the game options and people will stop exploding. :p

With restoring guile they could always make it a small % chance to gain guile on any sneak attack that's also bleeding or bloodied, the chance scales with level.

This would also make fast and dual weapons a better choice for rogue. Rather than the current heavy 2h system.

Also I still think they're going to have trouble balancing with the current Armour system. The slightly more staggered 30% 50% 70%100% 130% idea could be good, but the binary pen, no pen is just far too brutal.

Edited by Erik Dirk
  • Like 1