having trouble rping as a priest of magran

so, basically in poe1 i had no issues playing as a "proper" priest of magran, the dialogue allowed for the proper roleplaying through dialogue options.

in deadfire, at least up to port maje in many cases my only dialogue options seemed to be either diplomacy, or attack for no apparent reason. there wasn't enough cleverness, or intimation, perception checks etc.  

now, you can play a priest of magran who is aggressive without cause (though as far as i can tell it's not the proper execution of magranite doctrine as i understand it)

as it stands my choices mainly seem to be murderous rampage, or diplomacy, in many cases with nothing else in between them, at least in this playthrough.

following magrans path isn't about picking pointless fights, simply for the sake of picking fights. *sigh*

or am i completely missing something here?

Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I haven't done a Magranite playthrough yet - waiting for patches - but I've done several different paladin variants, and there were times when I had to "eat" a response in a disfavored disposition because there was no other option. But normally there was at least one choice open to me in a neutral disposition if my favored ones weren't there.

One of the things i noted is that there are various occasions on which you only a few dialogue options yet all come with a disposition, essentially forcing you to pick a disposition from a small group.

I agree that aggressive seems to be less developed here than in PoE1: there, my blunt, assertive and brutally honest ranger didn't look for fights wherever she went, but her love for hunting challenges (read: attacking dragons, ogres and any notably strong non-Kith the moment she could), disdain for politics, posturing and being manipulated, and tendency to strike first when someone/-thing threatens her, gave her a well-deserved aggressive reputation.

In Deadfire, especially at the beginning, it seems to boil down to being a hot-headed blood knight who got sad when he didn't manage to antagonize at least 10 people last week. It gets better over time, but it's still less refined than in PoE1. And while Magran is shown to be... untempered in her anger, she's still not going an idiot picking fights everywhere, so having to take those options for your dispositions, even if it doesn't correctly represent Magran's or your character's beliefs anymore, can't be enjoyable or the writers' intention. The intimidate passive does help open up less bloodthirsty options with aggressive, though.

Clever seems to be better worked out though, as my only finished playthrough thus far was as Beckoner-Wael priest: PoE1 mainly had it as sarcasm and/or irreverentness, with some resourcefulness; Deadfire adds opportunism, resolving quests/problems through improbable means, and overall wit. It's not that present at start, but it definitely gets better. Passives involving reading, knowing and manipulating people like insight and bluff definitely helped open up more options in that disposition as well.

Edited by Taevyr

well..

I'm planning a priestess of Magran . And mine gonna be : Fire godlike , short temper , throwing Tantrum , passionate , bold and witty .

So..pretty much : Passionate and Witty . now that's a weird combinaison  :w00t:

Soooo..how that help you ?  :facepalm:

keep in mind that she is the goddess of war and Fire . IF I were to put them as emotions , then War would be seriouse or Witty (which also mean cunning which also could be startegy ) . You could in this instance , use reply that Barter , ask more questions and such , or point out stuff (will require the adequate stat of course) . Fire would be the other side of the coin , where you can role play and use your character go 'burn the idiot' like . Fire could be the Bold (or Passionate , say passion burn like fire) . 

A good exemple , (or bad one lol) is that Huata lady in Port Maje . If I were to go for exemple all Bold and Passionate , then I will tell the chieftin daughter that the idiot she beat up wasn't a warrior . In a way , you stand toe to toe to her (and more when you are an orlan lol) . The War side , would be I skip her and just convince her mother to tell her to hand herself over . Or FIRE , Intimidate the idiot back to tell the truth , or WAR Solve it for the Govern cookies . 

See what I mean ? sorry..if I'm blabbering XD hope that help..even if a little . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm planning a priestess of Magran . And mine gonna be : Fire godlike , short temper , throwing Tantrum , passionate , bold and witty .

Be aware that you'll be purposefully gimping yourself - passionate is a disfavored disposition for priests of Magran.

Be aware that you'll be purposefully gimping yourself - passionate is a disfavored disposition for priests of Magran.

really? dammmmmn....

Truth is..since I haven't made one , don't know the disposition . Do you know which dispo she like ? 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

favored would be, clever, aggressive -- dis = diplomatic, passionate.

magran favors bold action tempered with cleverness. 

so picking fights for no reason, is usually viewed as a misinterpretation of magran's teaching. 

Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

so picking fights for no reason, is usually a misinterpretation of magran's teaching. 

So ? unless you want to play evil ? 

if she favor diplomacie...that should work well for you right? 

Elderly Hive Dweller

so picking fights for no reason, is usually a misinterpretation of magran's teaching. 

if she did, however, diplomacy is currently disfavored by her.

Urgh..my bad...

Well agressive doesn't automaticly mean Kill! kill! 

ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

So..you can play someone who is in your face , but with a leash on . And only kill those who either don't back down , or deserve it in your own opinion . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Urgh..my bad...

Well agressive doesn't automaticly mean Kill! kill! 

ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

So..you can play someone who is in your face , but with a leash on . And only kill those who either don't back down , or deserve it in your own opinion . 

from my vantage point at least in the beginning, aggressive did basically seem to boil down to stick my rapier through your throat. as far as i could tell.

from my vantage point at least in the beginning, aggressive did basically seem to boil down to stick my rapier through your throat. as far as i could tell.

well..you could add Intimidate to the list of agressive...and you can avoid killing lol 

Elderly Hive Dweller

well..you could add Intimidate to the list of agressive...and you can avoid killing lol 

yep, but those responses were fairly rare, iirc. at least till after port maje 

---edit

might as well explain my character a bit while i'm at it.

she was a devout follower and priestess of magran in poe1, as well as an elf sized moon godlike, and a drifter from the deadfire archipelago.

she preferred chainmail, a medium shield, and a rapier. i called her a close support character, and she worked really well as a front-line healer, buffer/debuffer.

now, during poe's main quest and in her conversations with durance, followed by interacting with the gods at twin elms, and then everything that transpired at sun in shadow... she became completely disillusioned with the gods, including magran. she doesn't care that they're engwithan constructs. she was appalled by the fact that they were all acting like spoiled children, wielding power they don't really understand (as my character saw it), and lack the wisdom, temperament and patience to use their stolen powers responsibly. and was getting fed up with their dangerous temper-tantrums.

however, she still goes through the motions of her faith, as she doesn't know any other way to be or act. which annoys her a bit too. 

Edited by Casper

yep, but those responses were fairly rare, iirc. at least till after port maje 

---edit

might as well explain my character a bit while i'm at it.

she was a devout follower and priestess of magran in poe1, as well as an elf sized moon godlike, and a drifter from the deadfire archipelago.

she preferred chainmail, a medium shield, and a rapier. i called her a close support character, and she worked really well as a front-line healer, buffer/debuffer.

now, during poe's main quest and in her conversations with durance, followed by interacting with the gods at twin elms, and then everything that transpired at sun in shadow... she became completely disillusioned with the gods, including magran. she doesn't care that they're engwithan constructs. she was appalled by the fact that they were all acting like spoiled children, wielding power they don't really understand (as my character saw it), and lack the wisdom, temperament and patience to use their stolen powers responsibly. and was getting fed up with their dangerous temper-tantrums.

however, she still goes through the motions of her faith, as she doesn't know any other way to be or act. which annoys her a bit too. 

So pallegina like ? lol 

well...the only advice I can give you at this point (it's 5am  >_< ) , is you gotta outsmart the dialogue in your own way . Think of peoples who role played so MANY shepard in a game that gave them 3 lousy reply to choose from ! 

1- I'm paragon 

2- I don't care

3- I'm an ass

Meaning , in my case . with Limitations like say in ME , I won't find the dialogue that fit this shepard I'm running . There is just no way , the game won't pop a 4th reply and a 5th out of nowhere..just cose I'm on my 13th shepard . In this case , you have to use the limitation and outsmart it . As in you create the different reasoning behind the same choice another character made .

And in POE2 , at least you do have a bit more to play with in comparaison . You got background , you got the homeland , you got your class and sub class , you dispositions ..etc . 

So in the case your priestess , you could change her disposition from what Magran like . You can role play that she is still hurt from POE1 . Oh you can still go for her disposition (magran) like witty and such...but she could  gradually..you could find reason for her to either reconnect or get worse in her annoyance . 

if she reconnect then..you have to find Joy in the disposition . If she doesn't...then aim for disposition that will show how angry or annoyed she feel . 

Some of the factions could remind her of the gods (I know they did for me ) , and from there...it can change one emotional state . 

Elderly Hive Dweller