E3 2018 Thread

Wait, what's going on this thread?

We all hate Taylor Swift apparently.

Nope, SonicMage117 loves Taylor Swift.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I mostly just replay games I like. Gave up on giving overhyped games a shot since I don't have an OCD to play every game that gets released.

What you mean is that you're too lazy to find ones that you'll enjoy, therefore it's easy to say "They don't exist".

Imma stick with Swift, looks like people are gonna try to continue to crucify me for it lmao

some info on this, not sure how accurate it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

It's on youtube so therefore it is true, but at least Taylor Swift can sing live, without all the effects and writes her own vocals.

We all hate Taylor Swift apparently.
Nope, SonicMage117 loves Taylor Swift.
She makes her millions from me and me alone ;) Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Wait, what's going on in this thread?

EDIT: I ate "in".

Usual greenhorn vs grognard type crap, as always.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My analogy using Taylor Swift to represent developers of today was spot on, in hindsight, we can now see that the affect was very telling, indeed. She writes good songs, executes them but you will love to hate her regardless, but moreover even though she can perform live by herself with an acoustic unplugged greatly, people will still say she is a bad artist. This is nothing new or relevant but perfectly examples that of which I was saying.

Same with a developer putting out good games and being honest but it's "cool" to hate. Multiple people seeking to validate their opinion on the matter by grouping their opinion doesn't make a legitimate argument, you just have to remember that there is only a small amount of members generally active here.

With that, I give you all my blessing.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

There are billions of people who can sing, it does not make them great artists

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

There are billions of people who can sing, it does not make them great artists

As other members here, you've missed it.

Upon further research, you will find thatTaylor Swift doesn't just sing. If she was like a million, she wouldn't possess true talents (other than singing).

yeah she got boobs we got it

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I mean, what's there not to like? 150 guys in battle? Great naval skirmishes? Yapping with Sokrates?

150 guys on EACH side of the battle :dancing:

That makes 300 :biggrin:

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

My analogy using Taylor Swift to represent developers of today was spot on, in hindsight, we can now see that the affect was very telling, indeed. She writes good songs, executes them but you will love to hate her regardless

Or they could be like me and utterly indifferent because they don't like the genre.

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 2

My analogy using Taylor Swift to represent developers of today was spot on, in hindsight, we can now see that the affect was very telling, indeed. She writes good songs, executes them but you will love to hate her regardless

Or they could be like me and utterly indifferent because they don't like the genre.

There's an utterly and of course completely objective way to test pop songs.

Find a metal cover and listen to it, like Shake It Off from the aforementioned Taylor Swift:

Or some older pop like Toto's Africa:

Obviously the latter one is objectively so much better. Pop songs that work as metal are good! Why? Well, because, that's why. That should be easily to understand for you all. I know I'm right. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yep, and that is exactly why I'm in no place to make judgements as to her skill as an artist.

Yep, and that is exactly why I'm in no place to make judgements as to her skill as an artist.

Is Taylor Swift going to be in AC, what is she? Templar or Assassin?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

They are retro games but made today, this doesn't somehow make them 80's or 90's games lol Just because a game is highly inspired by 80's or 90's theme, or somebody says "But they wouldn't exist if it wasn't for xxxx" doesn't mean that we discredit the dev, especially if their game surpassed the game it was inspired by.

I couldn't tell you how many games from the 90's were based off something before it (whether that would be books, music, other games) but the answer is... too many. As far as storytelling skills, of course they are better now, because ober the years we've gotten only more original and writers start thinking out the box more and more. The way storytelling in games is done in games is varily differed from novels and movies since you are the character and even more deep, the character is you. So the Bach of video games isn't as relevant and some people, should they not accept it, will never admot that the Taylor Swift of games is more relevant and redeemable but it's a happy truth, we should celebrate this.

Eh, I was arguing that games like Hollow Knight don't count in an argument that modern day games are better by default. If anything, the fact that Hollow Knight is highly regarded and thought of as better than many other games theses days is, quite frankly, a point for the argument that older games were more memorable (or better, whatever you prefer).

As for storytelling, huh, you haven't made a single argument. You're just stating as a matter of course that storytelling skills have magically improved. There are more writers and people making video games than ever before, that's true. The great narratives are still far and in between just as much as they were in the past.

Oh, sure, they look different, but that doesn't make them better. You're confusing high production value and polish with quality. For whatever reason.

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Fair enough,

Evolution in storytelling has gone a long way. As nostalgic players we seem to hold on to what we have seen ir heard when we were young - it was easier to make an impression on us, our imaginations and willingness to accept something fake as real is far easier to a child than an adult.

But in an evaluation respect, it's perhaps far more certain that relatability and emotion inclusion is the result of today's stories being more carefully and meticulously crafted. We have games that are no longer designed to give players a false sense of proportional freedoms but to poke at their heart.

Developers are now injecting their personal stories as a whole into their games. This is proven as non-existent in games from 70's/80's/90's as they were far more cashgrabs then than there are now. Projects like Hyper Light Drifter or That Dragon Cancer are the proof along with hindreds of others.

Edited by SonicMage117

your dog is why games suck today. it's all graphics over gameplay and narrative

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 6

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Since this thread is already derailed

I'm probably going to be blamed for it even though technically I'm not the one responsible. Not only did I do everything thing in my power to keep the thread on topic, but the members on this thread seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Taylor Swift, who knew.

I mostly just replay games I like. Gave up on giving overhyped games a shot since I don't have an OCD to play every game that gets released.

What you mean is that you're too lazy to find ones that you'll enjoy, therefore it's easy to say "They don't exist".

Nah, I meant exactly what was said, but am thankful for another words-in-mouth post.