1. Whispers of the endless path, you can get it forged right after leaving port manja.

2. Talking sword modwyr, u can get it with stealth, and upgrade it to max version instantly.

3. You can steal two top gear from the merchant in Crookspur at night.

4. You can steal a top quarterstaff in dark cupboard.

There are many many similar gears u can get without fight. And I know someone will argue it requires pre-knowledge of the game, but I ask u to think about this, who will do this kind of things are mostly min-max power gamer. A casual player will not use these tricks in his playthrough. Therefore it is very non-sense to argue a min maxer using pre knowledge to get advantage of the game. The real thing is the advantages is so big it makes the game boring.

Another issue of this gear distribution comes to my mind is, I never feel excited when I get new gears. Honestly after I got Whisper of endless, any other magical 2h sword feels so dull to me. For example I finally discovered how to find that sanguine 2h sword, it should be very exciting. But the real thing is it is very boring because it is very inferior to Whisper. Being able to access to top gear in early game kills the fun of looting.

I think it’s better to reduce the enchantment level of these early accessible gears, and make the upgrade material rarer.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 3

I heard you can also steal Dragon's Dowry from the gunsmith.

Upgrade materials don't need to become rarer, money is the constricting factor early game. I think it's on purpose that Neketaka has multiple legendary gears for sale for 30-40k gold and upgrades to superior cost 15k and legendary double that. Do you buy one of these new op things? Do you enchant your gear? Or do you buy a ship? How you decide to use your money early is an important decision.

What needs to happen is to make stealing legendary loot a lot harder. Put everything in a locked chest, make that lock high level, put a guard next to the chest. It's kinda silly you can just steal a legendary sabre and plate armor from an open container in Crookspur, even though you have the navigate the slaver ships to get there and out.

1. Whispers of the endless path, you can get it forged right after leaving port manja.

2. Talking sword modwyr, u can get it with stealth, and upgrade it to max version instantly.

3. You can steal two top gear from the merchant in Crookspur at night.

4. You can steal a top quarterstaff in dark cupboard.

There are many many similar gears u can get without fight. And I know someone will argue it requires pre-knowledge of the game, but I ask u to think about this, who will do this kind of things are mostly min-max power gamer. A casual player will not use these tricks in his playthrough. Therefore it is very non-sense to argue a min maxer using pre knowledge to get advantage of the game. The real thing is the advantages is so big it makes the game boring.

Another issue of this gear distribution comes to my mind is, I never feel excited when I get new gears. Honestly after I got Whisper of endless, any other magical 2h sword feels so dull to me. For example I finally discovered how to find that sanguine 2h sword, it should be very exciting. But the real thing is it is very boring because it is very inferior to Whisper. Being able to access to top gear in early game kills the fun of looting.

I think it’s better to reduce the enchantment level of these early accessible gears, and make the upgrade material rarer.

I like how you can get OP in Dark Souls 1 and 2 in a couple of hours. But they removed that in DS3, so it was kinda more struggling the whole game. But i think it's good as it is in Deadfire.

To get the whispers of the endless paths you have to start with both shards

To get the most powerful items you need foreknowledge, where they are and how to get them

To upgrade most items to the highest enchantment you needs tons of money, legendary enchant costs around 30k

So you are essentially complaining that the game doesn't stop you from being an ubermunchkin?

Let's talk about limitations that can be implemented

1) Random Loot drop....or go play Diablo.  Random tables that allow you to farm your gear.  I personally don't want to play Grindy the pirate

2) Level limitations on gear.  That sweet awesome weapon you just got...so sorry you can't use it until level 15

3) level limitation on enchantments.  See PoE 1

4) Randomizing where the uberloot is with a random seed at the start of the game so you don't know where it is.  Problem, you can find he uberloot in the first chest you open.

5) Keep things like they are and ignore the happy few that can't help cheesing the game. Alternative: teach them self discipline so they don't cheese the game.  I know how to get infinite money but I chose not to because it ruins the game.

Edited by Razorchain
  • Like 1

The merchants chests in Neketaka have a lvl 14 lock, I think they could do with a lvl 16 instead.

The open crate in Crookspur is ridiculous and needs the same locking treatment.

The rest is fine. Sure you can get  some stuff early, but it requires to know exactly what you are looking for and how. The game has to be balanced for the first playthrough, not for the players that know everything about it.

Modwyr is a good example. Sure, you can sneak there, but why would you sneak there if you don't have the knowledge of Modwyr being there ?

And even if you are blindly sneaking into overlevelled areas, then that's some time consuming playstyle that deserves reward.

Move some of the uniques in chests to Sleight of Hand targets with good stealth detection. The loot from named NPCs that I got with SoH was pathetic. Think the most valuable thing was a spyglass.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I like being able to steal stuff. However, you really shouldn't be able to offload high level equipment easily for cash. In particular still the staff from the Dark Cupboard and immediately selling it back should trigger something.

Perhaps tie fine/exceptional/legendary to captain level. The higher level captain you are the more likely merchants are to believe you obtained these items legally. Elsewise they either refuse to buy or greatly dents what they are willing to pay. It could even impact what gear they are willing to sell. If you buy Dragon's Dowry at captain level 1 maybe the gunsmith doubts that your gold was legally obtained and thus won't sell it until you either have a good reputation with them or have a solid reputation as a captain. This would make the captain upgrade in blessings a bit more valuable.

Uniques should be hard to offload. News of the item going missing should spread and make even the smugglers wary. "A lot of heat with this piece, it will cost me extra to offload it" meaning that merchants in the same area either won't buy at all, charge you the cost of smuggling it elsewhere(for the ones a bit more shady), or maybe even call the guards to question you if they are the law abiding sort :D. That could have some fun bluff checks. Try and convince them that you got it from someone in the Gullet for a major negative Gullet rep hit for example. Thus with truly unique items you would have to sail to another port to offload your goods and in those areas it would be your captain level that convinces them of your legitimacy and what they are willing to pay if at all. Obviously more shady merchants would be more willing to deal in questionable goods. This would be kinda of annoying from a gameplay perspective since you would have to constantly travel all over to sell your ill-begotten gains, but heck if that isn't piratey.

This wouldn't much affect getting said items, but it would make it harder to use them as gold generation for other uniques. Also dealing in such should give you shady reputation. Really enough items going missing after you show up should give you shady points anyways. Yeah they can't prove it, but doesn't mean people won't start viewing you with suspicion since everything not nailed down and some stuff that was vanishes after you show up.

• Like 1

I think there are too many unique items in shops... For me, they should be obtained almost exclusively from quests or enemies (with the difficulty adapted to the power of the item).

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 3

If my go-to gear can only be had when the game is over, then I never have fun at all playing the game. I waste 90% of it waiting for the good gear to come; then it comes and there's no content left to use it on.

Personally, I'm glad I can have WotEP so early.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 6

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

To gear is not so top when you first acquire it. And with heavy spending (which is not cheap by any means) it could be ascendent.

You could use Berath Blessing we can start with some cash, since we are forking Lady/Lord of Cuad Nua and we do not travel bare bottom.

Getting top gear/level just before end level, which you could mostly talk over is not fun.

You could play with two way level scaling, which makes all weapon "easy to get".

Not sure what is intended but not try to "fix it".

Edited by evilcat

fine ->excellent-> supreme -> legendary should be tied to player level I think. Stealing gear as is now is fine but don't let us sell it then if it is stolen. But make sure anything over excellent is not easily obtainable by stealing. 

I like being able to steal stuff. However, you really shouldn't be able to offload high level equipment easily for cash. In particular still the staff from the Dark Cupboard and immediately selling it back should trigger something.

Perhaps tie fine/exceptional/legendary to captain level. The higher level captain you are the more likely merchants are to believe you obtained these items legally. Elsewise they either refuse to buy or greatly dents what they are willing to pay. It could even impact what gear they are willing to sell. If you buy Dragon's Dowry at captain level 1 maybe the gunsmith doubts that your gold was legally obtained and thus won't sell it until you either have a good reputation with them or have a solid reputation as a captain. This would make the captain upgrade in blessings a bit more valuable.

Uniques should be hard to offload. News of the item going missing should spread and make even the smugglers wary. "A lot of heat with this piece, it will cost me extra to offload it" meaning that merchants in the same area either won't buy at all, charge you the cost of smuggling it elsewhere(for the ones a bit more shady), or maybe even call the guards to question you if they are the law abiding sort :D. That could have some fun bluff checks. Try and convince them that you got it from someone in the Gullet for a major negative Gullet rep hit for example. Thus with truly unique items you would have to sail to another port to offload your goods and in those areas it would be your captain level that convinces them of your legitimacy and what they are willing to pay if at all. Obviously more shady merchants would be more willing to deal in questionable goods. This would be kinda of annoying from a gameplay perspective since you would have to constantly travel all over to sell your ill-begotten gains, but heck if that isn't piratey.

This wouldn't much affect getting said items, but it would make it harder to use them as gold generation for other uniques. Also dealing in such should give you shady reputation. Really enough items going missing after you show up should give you shady points anyways. Yeah they can't prove it, but doesn't mean people won't start viewing you with suspicion since everything not nailed down and some stuff that was vanishes after you show up.

I like your idea, so each captain level unlocking some unique items sounds reasonable, and is a good way to avoid getting top gear too early.

Edited by dunehunter

I heard you can also steal Dragon's Dowry from the gunsmith.

Upgrade materials don't need to become rarer, money is the constricting factor early game. I think it's on purpose that Neketaka has multiple legendary gears for sale for 30-40k gold and upgrades to superior cost 15k and legendary double that. Do you buy one of these new op things? Do you enchant your gear? Or do you buy a ship? How you decide to use your money early is an important decision.

What needs to happen is to make stealing legendary loot a lot harder. Put everything in a locked chest, make that lock high level, put a guard next to the chest. It's kinda silly you can just steal a legendary sabre and plate armor from an open container in Crookspur, even though you have the navigate the slaver ships to get there and out.

i dont think so but you can steel scordeo's trophy, you can steal a top belt form a cloth merchant and you can steal devil of carog and the monk buckler there as well...i basically stole most of the top items even when not needing them...but i always thought this was kinda nice to be honest...rp wise, you dont have to but you can

If my go-to gear can only be had when the game is over, then I never have fun at all playing the game. I waste 90% of it waiting for the good gear to come; then it comes and there's no content left to use it on.

Personally, I'm glad I can have WotEP so early.

I didn't say good items should be obtainable only at the end, but there should be always a challenge. You could get them at lower level but then it will be a reward for smart playing.

Yeah , make hard , like in Baldur's Gate 2 where you could steal the entire Adventurer's Mart with one Potion of master thievery 2 seconds after leaving Irenicus dungeon , and no one cares , but today all you see is , nerf the gear , nerf the class , nerf this skill , yeah let's all play naked chars with a wooden sword and no skills .... And im sure people will come here and say : The game is to easy , i solo with the wooden sword , that sword need a nerf ......

Edited by Whitewolfsp
  • Like 1