The gods, godlikes and speculation on the nature thereof

Do Godlike taste like the regular members of their specific kith race, or does being a Godlike spoil - or perhaps enhance - the meat?

Roll a corpse eater and sample the dudes from Pallegina's quest. Or romance Tekehu.  :biggrin:

Also, great fanart, although I prefer decaying anglefishhead original Ondra.

The decaying anglerfish Ondra is more Ondra-as-Ngati, so her purely marine aspect as seen on Tekehu. The fanart depicts Ondra as we knew her from PoE 1: a goddess of the moon first and foremost, which is why she looks like a moon godlike.

It's a bit like the whole Eothas-Gaun distinction.

Edited by Skazz

While moon godlike is generally associated with Ondra, there's the quest with the druids that seems to asscoiate them with winter/Rymyrgand.

As for Wael, I feel like its godlikes would look like anyone else, cos secrets xD

Edited by Slotharingia

nvAeseu.png

I think Marine godlike is a mistake in term of design. Two godlike subtypes for Ondra ? btw is tekehu the only marine godlike we meet in poe2 ? If so, it is quite strange...

Why shouldn't there be two types of godlike?

A godlike of Gaun would likely not look like a godlike of Eothas - and yet it's the same entity in two different aspects.

It's the same with marine/moon goodlike. One is Ngati, the other is Ondra.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that these types (death/fire/moon etc) of godlike are more or less artificial labels given for mechanical reasons. As far as I remember, nobody in-universe ever refers to Pallegina as being one of "the avian godlike". They're always referred to as belonging to certain gods, and that's it. It's not too much of a stretch to think that gods can choose to visually express different parts of their domains for different godlike.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

I do believe we got a rather generic set of godlikes in PoE because they were introduced in the crowndfunding campaign very early, probably even before all the gods were written, or at least fully fleshed out. That's why the playable ones do not feel very connected to the pillars pantheon.

• Like 1

^ This is a good point, too. Since PoE 1 was all about hitting all the nostalgia checkboxes, the godlike were designed to be PoE's counterparts to aasimar, tiefling, and genasi races of D&D. The idea to make them something more than homages must have come a bit later in the development process.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

I do kinda wish they would just have said from the beginning which godlike is associated with which god. It seems common knowledge to everyone in Eora world but we only get to find out if someone specifically mentions it. It's interesting that Ondra has two types of godlike, I wonder if Tekehu is the only Marine godlike.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that these types (death/fire/moon etc) of godlike are more or less artificial labels given for mechanical reasons. As far as I remember, nobody in-universe ever refers to Pallegina as being one of "the avian godlike". They're always referred to as belonging to certain gods, and that's it. It's not too much of a stretch to think that gods can choose to visually express different parts of their domains for different godlike.

And their belonging to certain gods is generally not information supplied by the most reliable of sources. What we know is that tradition has it that certain types come of certain deities, but tradition in Eora is frequently full of duds.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's interesting that Ondra has two types of godlike, I wonder if Tekehu is the only Marine godlike.

He isn't, there is another one described in the guidebook (a girl who looked way more fish-like than Tekehu, with a large fin and round eyes on the sides of her head). It's also mentioned that there multiple Ngati's chosen in the Deadfire, but since both moon and marine godlike get this label, it's hard to tell how many of them are marine.

Tekehu can tell you a story of his, ahem, haphazardous coupling with an avian godlike from Neketaka (not Pallegina, no), and he calls her exactly that: an avian godlike. The Watcher can also refer to Tekehu himself as "marine godlike" in some dialogue.

So yeah, there are "types" of godlike in lore, strange is it might be, and they do have names. But I think it was also stated in the guidebook vol. 1 that each godlike is unique in how their god's nature manifests in their appearance. Ondra is a goddess of moon and sea both, so it's not a surprise that her godlike can represent different aspects of her divine portfolio.

• Like 1

Do Godlike taste like the regular members of their specific kith race, or does being a Godlike spoil - or perhaps enhance - the meat?

These are the questions that prevent me from getting a full rest and recovering all of my spell slots.

Meanwhile, your avatar will probably stop me from getting the full rest. Yeegh. :p

I'm pretty sure The godlikes taste as follow:

Fire Godlike: Well done, extra crispy.

Nature Godlike: veggieburger with extra shrooms

Death Godlike: Stale

Moon Godlike: Moon... Moon... MOOOOOOON! Moonmoon. Yeah I got nothing. Pixie-stix?

Marine Godlike: Seafood.

Avian Godlike: Chicken.

Scratch that, they all taste like chicken, probably.

I really liked the fact that the fire giants at Ashen Maw treated me like an estranged cousin on my Fire Godike run. I wish there were more playable godikes, I'd love to play one from Rymrgand or Skaen.

Agreed, though from the short bits that I played as a godlike I was kinda disappointed with reactions from people in the first game. I figured the conversation about godlike with Pallegina at least would be kinda different (just like I expected more from conversations with Edér as an Eothas priest). But I'd also like more playable paladin orders or priesthoods, mostly so I can finally know what their favored/disfavored reputations are. But that is a different topic.

These are the questions that prevent me from getting a full rest and recovering all of my spell slots.

Meanwhile, your avatar will probably stop me from getting the full rest. Yeegh. :p

I'm pretty sure The godlikes taste as follow:

Fire Godlike: Well done, extra crispy.

Nature Godlike: veggieburger with extra shrooms

Death Godlike: Stale

Moon Godlike: Moon... Moon... MOOOOOOON! Moonmoon. Yeah I got nothing. Pixie-stix?

Marine Godlike: Seafood.

Avian Godlike: Chicken.

Scratch that, they all taste like chicken, probably.

I really liked the fact that the fire giants at Ashen Maw treated me like an estranged cousin on my Fire Godike run. I wish there were more playable godikes, I'd love to play one from Rymrgand or Skaen.

Agreed, though from the short bits that I played as a godlike I was kinda disappointed with reactions from people in the first game. I figured the conversation about godlike with Pallegina at least would be kinda different (just like I expected more from conversations with Edér as an Eothas priest). But I'd also like more playable paladin orders or priesthoods, mostly so I can finally know what their favored/disfavored reputations are. But that is a different topic.

Naw, all kith taste like pork.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

McDonalds.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man