I like the idea of nimble and all the seemingly strong passives. Upon a first google / forum search people seem to trash them significantly but

a) I think I want to experience pure melee that doesn't have positioning issues (wild sprint looks good for this as does leap)

b) I toyed with the idea of marauder for some rogue abilities but I think I wanna see top tier abilities

c) I don't want to be super squish and some of these passives and all that hp looks great

d) seems to be a good class for an even stat spread 16/12/12/14/14/8 (cheating a bit with Berath's blessing for 20, 14, 14, 16, 16, 10

e) a Grog lookalike and voice makes me giddy

1 frenzy
2 blooded(p)
3 barbaric blow and 2 weapon(p)
4 thick skinned (p)
5 wild sprint and bloody slaughter (p)
6 bloodlust(p)
7 blood frenzy and savage defense
8 one stands alone(p) 
9 barbaric smash and leap
10 unflinching (p)
11 lion sprint and brute force (p)
12 improved critical  (p)
13 blood storm stalwart defense
14 blood thirst(p)
15 interrupting blows(p)
16 heart of fury and panthers leap
17 vengeful defeat

Warhammers or battleaxes depending on what the fight needs. Pure, no subclass, Vanilla barb (funny enough the more I look at no subclass rogues and barbs the more interested I am. If smoke veil wasn't broken id be halfway done the game with a dagger rogue right now)
Edited by QuiteGoneJin

At first, I was also for lowering INT, however, Confuse for Berserker lowers INT by 5 shortening durations, Bloodlust for example. It all depends on your playstyle, party composition and gear. DEX at 10 and dumped RES are from my experience of less concern than INT. Besides carnage works. Just wait for few levels and see effects, Staggered from Spirit Frenzy, for example, to proc on carnage hits.

At first, I was also for lowering INT, however, Confuse for Berserker lowers INT by 5 shortening durations, Bloodlust for example. It all depends on your playstyle, party composition and gear. DEX at 10 and dumped RES are from my experience of less concern than INT. Besides carnage works. Just wait for few levels and see effects, Staggered from Spirit Frenzy, for example, to proc on carnage hits.

Makes sense, going non zerker though and not relying on carnage. So Ill try hearth orlan spiked perception/dex medium con and might. 

Edited by QuiteGoneJin

Eh, the bonus from Zerker Frenzy is so potent I can't see myself ever not picking the Zerker subclass. An all in one package: More attack speed, more damage, more penetration (=even more damage), more Crit rate, more health, more armor (=more damage soak).

And out of those actually the Zerker upgrades are among the most important ones (alongside attack speed). I'd gladly trade regular 5 Con for +2 Armor Rating. Probably would also trade 5 Might for 2 extra Penetration. And I just love crits (and effects they can proc).

Edited by Haplok

Yeah not to mention Modwyr can be had fairly early to negate Confused. And until then Xoti can autocast Suppress Affliction on your barb every battle. Berserkers are busted.

Edited by GuyNice

Barbarians are like most martials...  you get way too much from multiclassing so it's hard to justify a pure unless you're doing it for RP reasons.  Go Berserker/Devoted, retrain as needed to switch your proficiency to the latest and greatest weapons, go nuts.  Berserker/Kind Wayfarer or Berserker/Bleak Walker gets spammable Full Attacks and Paladins can pick up a passive feat to give them Intelligence resistance, negating the downside of Berserker without needing specific equipment to do it.

Realistically, it doesn't even matter if you don't get Intelligence resistance because the -5 Int will already make your Carnage AOE tiny or literally nonexistent depending on if you put any points into Int to begin with.  I'd just go Berserker with 10-12 Int and then rely on Fighter or Monk multiclass for your AOE needs.

Note that you can get a soulbound poleaxe pretty much immediately after getting your boat, and while it's probably not the best weapon in the game for a Barbarian mix, it's going to carry you through most everything for the first half at least.  Just head south of Maje Island, then sail east and look for a storm hovering over an island.  Save before entering the storm and just keep doing it until you get an outcome you're comfortable with (losing 1-2 crew to failed skill checks is expected, but who cares?  Ship **** doesn't matter to begin with) then go get your slash/shock split damage "I win" stick.

Typical stat distribution for PotD applies.  Max Perception, heavy investment into Dexterity.  You can justify putting points into Might since Barbarians don't get a ton of damage amps like Rogues and some other classes do.

There is a bug with retraining any character, multi or single. You will loose some abilities. I'd advise against retraining until the bug is sorted. Though it is possible that the bug is not consistent. Either way save before and count your stats and abilities after to confirm you didn't lose anything.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Absolutely Berserker subclass. The -5int from confusion is easily dealt with by chewing svef or using Mordryn sword.

Thanks, didn't think about Svef, tbh I love taking high alchemy the drug bonuses are insane. I'm not sure I want to start again, but damn those zerker bonuses are nice.... Aaaaand of course now I'm thinking a zerker/nalzpacwhatever monk with high alchemy would be a monster. 

Edited by QuiteGoneJin

Absolutely Berserker subclass. The -5int from confusion is easily dealt with by chewing svef or using Mordryn sword.

Thanks, didn't think about Svef, tbh I love taking high alchemy the drub bonuses are insane. I'm not sure I want to start again, but damn those zerker bonuses are nice.... Aaaaand of course now I'm tihnking a zerker/nalzpacwhatever monk with high alchemy would be a monster. 

Yeah i have a Zerker/Junkiemonk and he is indeed a monster :)

• Like 1