Should Pillars add in beauty or renown stats for dialogue options or events?

Like if my party member is a very beautiful women she can make some merchants give her discount or have more favorable options with males or lesbians in general. Likewise with the Watcher. Maybe ugly has bad options in dialogue and some interactions, but it repulses combatants making them aim worse or you smell bad etc. You can be ugly or beautiful depending on culture or race of people you talk to. 

Beauty can also just be female trait as it matter a lot more for them in most cultures, but with that you can also make them have less athletics, HP, or attack power etc to balance it out. 

Renown can work like how people know who you are. High renown will make you unable to lie very well as people know you, but low renown allows you to bluff and lie better. We already have reputation so renown can't really do much to change interaction with factions, but it can allow you to gain favor or disfavor with random people. Like if you are known murderer etc people will not talk to you and police will try to capture or kill you. 

There might be better ways to implement these ideas, or do you guys think it is bad to add this? Since I am about 5 hours into the game this system might already been added and I just do not know. If so, please tell me. 

Beauty can also just be female trait as it matter a lot more for them in most cultures, but with that you can also make them have less athletics, HP, or attack power etc to balance it out.

You started with a good approach and then ruined it all with that one silly sentence.

• Like 19

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Lets just assume that beauty is mix of bluff, diplmacy and alchemy, and move on.

It would matter too few times to be worth implementacion.

It is safer to asume that the Watcher hasnt decay to much when staying Beyond, and with with helmet on could be preatty for dialogue options.

Not sure how many thirsty NPC (no companions) are there, having some could be fun as a joke, but it is more for future writing. (dlc stories).

However that kind of joke could get old if overused.

Teheku is handsome fish, and it is visible in dialogues, Watcher is not, and we just need to accept that.

Also the fact that no developer even tries to fallow Bloodlines is disturbing, and signal of fall of industry.

Edited by evilcat

I used to play The Dark Eye (Pen & Paper) for a long time and the 4th version has something called advantages and disadvantages. Advantages cost you some "character building" points as well as disadvantages will grant you some.

There were things like "Strong" or something like "Crippled" and so on. There also wa stuff like "Good Looking" and "Beautiful" which was not equal to Charisma (which was one of 8 stats) but helped when dealing with people who are attracted to your sex or just appreciated beauty. There was also something called "Euphony" (like - being the equivalent of Barry White or so) which was helpful in conversations with humans in general. Sometimes it would lead to the opposite because of envy - whatever the game master could come up with.

Once I played a very tall, very muscular, dark skinned gladiator who had stunning beauty and euphony - and was very, very arrogant, ignorant and self-centered - basically a jerk towards everybody although he had a good heart if you looked closer (it was just a role). We as a group had lots of fun with this mixture (sometimes also eyerolls of course), I can totally see how this can add fun to a video game as well - so I'm very open for feats like this in a game per se. If it's worth implementing... it's the designer's call I'd say. If PoE and Deadfire would be more reactive to stats/skills/profession (other than adding an alternative line of dialogue) it would be worth it I guess.

But the initial post is so awkward and sails under "false flag" (as Yosharian already said) that I can't do anything else than shake my head in pity.

Of course only women can be beautiful and profit from that. Beware that handsome men ever got anything just because they were handsome... Men profit from strength and chesthair, women from being beautiful - crystal clear. :getlost:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It seems to me that OP just wanted to share some ideas and you guys immediately shamed him/her, thinking about those other threads on the forum. I don't see something particularly awkward with this post. Or am I not sufficiently sophisticated?

It seems to me that OP just wanted to share some ideas and you guys immediately shamed him/her, thinking about those other threads on the forum. I don't see something particularly awkward with this post. Or am I not sufficiently sophisticated?

Has nothing to do with being sophisticated. Just...read the post.

This idea can be boiled down thusly: "Women are pretty but weak and **** at combat. Beauty does not matter for men; they physically achieve the things they want instead of relying on being pretty."

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 5

You started with a good approach and then ruined it all with that one silly sentence.

Yet another dumb false flag post

But the initial post is so awkward and sails under "false flag" (as Yosharian already said) that I can't do anything else than shake my head in pity.

I fail to see how these are appropriate responses for something like this. OP just shared an idea, maybe not very well thought out. Since when is that to be shamed and discouraged? What happened with the notion that there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers?

Edited by wih

It's a fantasy game, so we can pretend there are no differences between genders.

It does show the weird incoherent position of our generation's belief system that it's verboten to suggest a difference between the two genders, but having significant attribute differences between the races is no problem.

I can't tell if future generations are going to laugh at us for wilfully denying reality and pretending males and females are the same, or be outraged that we implied a difference between the races.

• Like 1

I fail to see how these are appropriate responses for something like this. OP just shared an idea, maybe not very well thought out. Since when is that to be shamed and discouraged? What happened with the notion that there are not dumb questions, only dumb answers?

We don't live in an era of free ideas. We live in an era of think exactly what you are supposed to think or you will be hounded into submission.

• Like 2

I fail to see how these are appropriate responses for something like this. OP just shared an idea, maybe not very well thought out. Since when is that to be shamed and discouraged? What happened with the notion that there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers?

He asked a question and then stated a bunch of ideas. Nobody called out the question, because as you said, there are no dumb questions.

But there sure as **** is such a thing as a dumb idea.

There might be better ways to implement these ideas, or do you guys think it is bad to add this? Since I am about 5 hours into the game this system might already been added and I just do not know. If so, please tell me. 

The whole post was basically a question. Nothing in the post is aggressive. Nothing in it deserves such a response. Just tell them that you do not like this particular idea.

• Like 1

The whole post was basically a question. Nothing in the post is aggressive. Nothing in it deserves such a response. Just tell them that you do not like this particular idea.

Tell who?  The troll that posted once and then never reappeared in the thread?  Give me a break.

Tell who?  The troll that posted once and then never reappeared in the thread?  Give me a break.

I would never reappear in a thread after such a response.

I would never reappear in a thread after such a response.

Aww diddums!

No, for the same reason that it's far better to have an abstracted combat system than thirty different combat stats governing grappling.

There are definitely dumb questions.

Oh Yosharian, Yosharian, sweet summer child. Just because they didn't reappear in the thread under the same name doesn't mean they didn't reappear in the thread.

I mean I can't be the only one noticing that whenever one thread whining about women in PoE gets closed down, a "new poster" starts another one using slightly different tactics.

It's a fantasy game, so we can pretend there are no differences between genders.

It does show the weird incoherent position of our generation's belief system that it's verboten to suggest a difference between the two genders, but having significant attribute differences between the races is no problem.

I can't tell if future generations are going to laugh at us for wilfully denying reality and pretending males and females are the same, or be outraged that we implied a difference between the races.

Honestly I think it's a lot weirder that we use the same word to indicate the differences between people with different skin colors and facial constructions as we do to indicate the difference between humans, dwarves, elves, catgirls-hobbits, and shark-people.

Like I know why (it's a linguistic callback to times when we thought the differences between skin colors and facial constructions were a lot more significant than they actually are), but it's still weird.

I guess when I'm saying is that "race" in PoE is not really "race" IRL and the use of the word is sort of a living fossil/genre trope. There's a reason sci-fi prefers "species" or "sophont clade."

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's a natural and legitim idea. In many RPG (and real life of course) beauty, charisma, social abilities and style are very usefull and the way for special opportunies. IMO it's because beauty is evidence while intelligence must be demonstrated.

More social interactions can be a good add for any RPG because it’s new ways to solve a situation. But it’s not only available for women. In Cthulhu RPG the APP (Appearance) stat is only for social interactions.

Your suggestion for fighting penalties isn’t mad, to maintain its beauty and its style takes time, lifestyle and ressources. It’s more difficult for a barbarian woman to be pretty after 15 years of battlefield, many scars and punch in her face.

In the same way a beautiful woman will use the social game to urge others to do the dirty work for her, like Lahmian vampire in Warhammer for exemple.

Even if it’s a realistic way, it’s difficult to do in a CRPG with so many fight situations. It’s a concession of gameplay and it’s fine.

I think add only new dialogu option without penalties is sufficient.

But I think the real trouble, and some answers here demonstrate it, is an ideological point of view which makes complicated any subject in touch with the physical appearance where the social role of the men and the women.

Apparently it is not fashionable at all and the guild of troll's Hunters are hungry.

Edited by DaKatarn
  • Like 1

Oh Yosharian, Yosharian, sweet summer child. Just because they didn't reappear in the thread under the same name doesn't mean they didn't reappear in the thread.

I mean I can't be the only one noticing that whenever one thread whining about women in PoE gets closed down, a "new poster" starts another one using slightly different tactics.

Oh believe me, I had the same thought =)