Hey guys,

So, I'm considering a drug monk/Paladin as my main for PotD, but it honestly seems like Monk has way too many good abilities at PL8 and 9 to lose them multiclassing. I'm looking to play a solid bruiser, so would I be better off just going plain monk and sticking to the dispositions I was going to do anyway for role play?

I don't really see how the teleporting ability could be significantly stronger than charge or flagellant's path.  The Death palm ? ability is OP for sure, but the game is basically over by the time you get it.  Resonant touch is also pretty strong, but only for bosses really, and not so strong that multi classing isn't beneficial. 

Transcendent suffering scales a lot better if you single class, but you can just use weapons if you multi class.  Plus multi classing gives you a lot of other benefits.  In the case of Paladin you'll gain a lot of survivability and utility.  Monk by itself isn't the toughest, the talents are more suited to damage, but multi class with a fighter or paladin and you have someone who can take a licking as well as dish it back out.

It's a bit harder to spec for multi class though, you need to understand the abilities a bit better to know which you need and don't.  SIngle class monk can just take everything basically.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

A single class monk gets so many monk abilities though while a multi has to make some hard choices of what to take and what to skip in both classes. Plus faster access to the good powers is really strong.  The final  "teleport across the screen and kill everything while generating enough wounds to do it again (thank you Shattered Pillar :) )" is just pure power fantasy. You are a Jedi slaughtering mooks wholesale. You have become death, the destroyer of worlds.

The problem is everything is so good and the enemies are so easy that the entire game becomes trivial. You are the Herald of Berath, the 'Angel of Death' but come on we want some challenge :) 

If single class is strong then MC is also strong, unless you go in opposite direction (spells vs autoattacks).

Could be single, could be /barbarian /fighter /rogue /paladin /cipher.

You always get something.

But if you prefer pure, just go with it, have fun.

There is not as intendend issue with procing attacks from Monk. If abillity is broken discussion about power or balance is pointless.

Edited by evilcat

It's too strong and it's a reason why I don't bother to solo anymore with Monks and Fighters (Paladin's are still imo ok). 

You see problem with Monk is that from the start the have access to most damaging weapon till you start finding best unique enchant melee= fists which scales crazy on monk (too crazy), have low recovery, crush dmg (best melee dmg overall in game imo) and -20% Action and Quick from start, making it superb for picking Nature Godlike and having perma +2 Power Levels from start of the game without really any cost as you want to use Swift Strikes in any fight anyway. They also 

Then there is their crazy synergy with a lot of range weapons and melee weapons because of only LEVEL III (!) Swift Flurry, which you get pretty much after couple of easy quests in Neketaka (you can easly get lvl 8 fast in Neketaka, gear up and go for Deadlight, Old City etc.) which synergyze crazy with everything. If it was just melee I could understand but it can also proc on range weapons too. Now add to that how early in game you can get best 2h sword in game, pair it with Fighter Cleave stance and you can go home.

After that Level III it's just more crazy for monk. He has huge power spike too early in game. Also Helwalker for example is squishy on paper, but pair him with fighter, paladin or wizard and you can offset his increased damage taken by crazy defenses + couple of easy gear. 

Pure Shattered Pillar is even less fun.

Edited by Voltron

ATM I play a assassin/shattered pillar. Pretty fun so far.

Is Swift Flurry more worth than Lightning Strike?

I learned today that instruments of pain allows Shattered Pillar to generate wounds and use abilities from range, the range is pretty short and you don't get as much out of rooting pain, but it's still pretty cool.

Mhm..Is "The Long Pain" not usable while wearing weapons or does it work but weapons simply doesn't count?

ATM I play a assassin/shattered pillar. Pretty fun so far.

Is Swift Flurry more worth than Lightning Strike?

I learned today that instruments of pain allows Shattered Pillar to generate wounds and use abilities from range, the range is pretty short and you don't get as much out of rooting pain, but it's still pretty cool.

Mhm..Is "The Long Pain" not usable while wearing weapons or does it work but weapons simply doesn't count?

You don't generate wounds while attacking with the long pain, which makes it sort of useless for shattered pillar, but you do generate wounds with instruments of pain, which just uses your normal weapons but has a shorter range.

Idk. I'm running Shattered Pillar/Devoted and it's pretty good. I never felt like I needed the monk skills early. Having the fighter side supplement the monk class with dps and accuracy, even as early as level 1, was a big boost.

At level 20 I can do 70-100 crits with fists that also prone very often and have high attack speed with it.

I'm only running with Xoti right now. A priest is all I need tbh.

Edited by Vaneglorious

I have played a pure shattered pillar and a helwalker/wayfarer multiclass.

In regards of utility group healing and lots of resources to spend the multiclass combo is very strong but hands donw PL 8 and 9 Abilities of monk are the strongest in the game.

Sure the game is pretty much over by the time you get them but at the same time the game is over once you have pl 6/7 abilities as a multiclass. That being said

Nothing beats Whisper of the Wind espeically as shattered pillar.

1. You are invincible during the attacks

2. The range is huge and can bounce multiple times between 2 enemies causing insane damage

3. After the animation you can use it immediately again because shattered pillar generates wounds with the 6 hits

4. Whisper of the Wind is basically as close to godmode as it gets

Oh and Inner Death Oneshot ability No#1 in the game combined with 100+ Accuracy / 100+ Penetration passive for empowered skills 1k crits are no rarity but can be min/maxed for more. You decide what you like more.

Edited by Bugged Wolf Companion
  • Like 1