Poll on campanion interactions  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should your party members have a lot more to say even if there was no voice acting for their new lines?

I liked the game overall but feel that the companions ran out of things to say too early. Would the game be improved by adding more companion dialog? If you think it would, would that still be the case if the interactions were not voiced?

Edit: The reason I am asking is that we may have gotten fewer companion interactions because the voice acting makes each of them more expensive. Some people have also pointed out that we may not be seeing all of them due to bugs. That's possible too.

Edited by Yonjuro
  • Like 1

I liked the game overall but feel that the companions ran out of things to say too early. Would the game be improved by adding more companion dialog? If you think it would, would that still be the case if the interactions were not voiced?

Wow, it sure is quiet in here. Wait, are those crickets?

yup...*ribbit*....

:lol:

Anyway , the companions are BUGGED . Some stuff are firing too soon , some are missing completely . 

So I say wait for the patch and then come back for it . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Took me some time to process the question, but yes, more interactions would be great. Voice overs are more like a bonus in this game IMO.

The reason for the question is that we may have gotten fewer companion interactions because the voice acting makes each one more expensive. Maybe there is a way to make this clearer.

Took me some time to process the question, but yes, more interactions would be great. Voice overs are more like a bonus in this game IMO.

The reason for the question is that we may have gotten fewer companion interactions because the voice acting makes each one more expensive. Maybe there is a way to make this clearer.

There is, and you fixed it :p

I was thrown off when I saw the two "if"s lol, but yea I get what you mean.

yup...*ribbit*....

Anyway , the companions are BUGGED . Some stuff are firing too soon , some are missing completely . 

Do you know (approximately) what fraction of the lines are triggering in the game? In my playthrough, most of the companions had no new questions I could ask them after the first set. I did get a few more interactions at different points, but it was a small number.

I really would like there to be more companion interactions, particularly I would like it if some new dialogue options opened up as the game progressed through key moments or especially as companions approval rises or falls. All this hype for the companion relationship system and I barely even noticed it was there at all, yet to me this would be the most meaningful way of making it relevant.

• Like 5

yup...*ribbit*....

Do you know (approximately) what fraction of the lines are triggering in the game? In my playthrough, most of the companions had no new questions I could ask them after the first set. I did get a few more interactions at different points, but it was a small number.

well..I know somewhere on the spoiler section , someone posted a Vid of all missing dialogues with companions. I didn't watch it..since I didn't wanna spoil myself . But sorry..I wouldn't know how much is missing . 

can see some in here (beware spoilers) : https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100041-official-characters-and-romance-thread-spoiler-version-part-two/page-14

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

yup...*ribbit*....

well..I know somewhere on the spoiler section , someone posted a Vid of all missing dialogues with companions. I didn't watch it..since I didn't wanna spoil myself . But sorry..I wouldn't know how much is missing . 

can see some in here (beware spoilers) : https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100041-official-characters-and-romance-thread-spoiler-version-part-two/page-14

Thanks. I'm not not going to watch it either - for the same reason. It sounds like we aren't seeing everything though.

This is a problem that I first encountered when Dragon Age: Origins was released and modders began doing what they do. No matter how brilliant your additional dialogue or added companion is, it immediately sticks out like a sore thumb because, unlike the rest of the game, it's not voiced. There are ways to write around that, but they're limited.

However, in spite of this immersion-breaking limitation, the mods were insanely popular. Which leads me to believe that a significant portion of the audience believes having new, interesting content trumps having perfectly integrated content. Dunno what Obsidian believes, though (or what their financial projections say).

Edited by Tarlonniel

Yeah, definitely.  I think companions being more talkative is part of why BG2 is often seen as a high-water mark for old-school CRPGs while BG1 (which had pretty few interactions) is less regarded.

I particularly like that companions in Deadfire appear to basically choose a dialogue option FOR you, and would like to see DLC or patches explore this concept more.  Party choice should involve not just who you like the most or who has the most crunch value for your party, but also who makes the most sense to bring with you to town and who you should maybe leave back on the boat.  Like, if you had an NPC that had a tendency to make jokes about short people and doesn't have the Wisdom Perception to realize when it's REALLY not a good idea to make such jokes... maybe don't bring him along when you go visit the local dwarf or orlan population.

Edited by PizzaSHARK
  • Like 1

Like, if you had an NPC that had a tendency to make jokes about short people and doesn't have the Wisdom Perception to realize when it's REALLY not a good idea to make such jokes... maybe don't bring him along when you go visit the local dwarf or orlan population.

And miss out on the comedic opportunity? For shame.

• Like 1

Like, if you had an NPC that had a tendency to make jokes about short people and doesn't have the Wisdom Perception to realize when it's REALLY not a good idea to make such jokes... maybe don't bring him along when you go visit the local dwarf or orlan population.

And miss out on the comedic opportunity? For shame.

I was really disappointed at the total lack of Eder's obsession with petting things getting the party into a jam.

• Like 1

Honestly whole point of companions for me is the interactions,

I like having companions that are varied and interesting, want them to interact.

How do my morals, points view compare and seeing how my actions/conversations affect my companions and they also affect me.

Interesting see how your character is viewed as even with a character we create often we choose see what we want so yes more interactions better.

Having companions equals feed back and more feed back your getting more you drawn into that world and companions.

Considering how games is made, suddenly having bunch of unvoiced lines would stick out. Design was made, and I am afraid it can’t be undone just like that.

Companions have quite a lot of content, just little meaningful one. I was surprised to find on YouTube how elaborate companion conflicts can be, alas high diplomacy skill and they are over really quickly, never to be heard of again.

I don’t think adding more would fix an issue I have with companions, though I wish I could talk to them more at times.

Considering how games is made, suddenly having bunch of unvoiced lines would stick out. Design was made, and I am afraid it can’t be undone just like that.

Companions have quite a lot of content, just little meaningful one. I was surprised to find on YouTube how elaborate companion conflicts can be, alas high diplomacy skill and they are over really quickly, never to be heard of again.

I don’t think adding more would fix an issue I have with companions, though I wish I could talk to them more at times.

Pretty much this.

Besides, there are already enough voiced lines as it is. Seriously, Obsidian really outdid themselves with this game. I really love the conversations between the companions. Like I said before, unvoiced lines would feel unauthentic.

Yeah I prefer more meaningful content, do like banter and want but want meaningful interactions.

Yes I dislike how fast some companions can go from like to hate and leaving. Don't get me wrong if you constantly do something companion dislikes then yes I expect person to leave. As for conflict with in companion yeah understand that but, don't think most would just walk out. Should really start conversation about the issue which depending on that conversation should define if person leaves or stays. 

I not going say more as I know there some issues with it that obsidian are fixing, we will see soon.

Also think important stop the cliché companions. Want companions that are varied and not all similar and set clichés.

As its spoiler free I use kotor 2 companion as example Kreia was great as she disliked force both dark and the light side, which was very different in star wars world. Because of way she was, it made you look at star wars world in a different way. Therefore an interesting character.

Fav companions from pillars 1 

Devil of Caroc

Grieving Mother

Zahua

Durance (normally religious zealot wouldn't be my thing but by end of game he different person if you lead him that way)

Yeah I prefer more meaningful content, do like banter and want but want meaningful interactions.

Yes I dislike how fast some companions can go from like to hate and leaving. Don't get me wrong if you constantly do something companion dislikes then yes I expect person to leave. As for conflict with in companion yeah understand that but, don't think most would just walk out. Should really start conversation about the issue which depending on that conversation should define if person leaves or stays. 

I not going say more as I know there some issues with it that obsidian are fixing, we will see soon.

Also think important stop the cliché companions. Want companions that are varied and not all similar and set clichés.

As its spoiler free I use kotor 2 companion as example Kreia was great as she disliked force both dark and the light side, which was very different in star wars world. Because of way she was, it made you look at star wars world in a different way. Therefore an interesting character.

Fav companions from pillars 1 

Devil of Caroc

Grieving Mother

Zahua

Durance (normally religious zealot wouldn't be my thing but by end of game he different person if you lead him that way)

I don't mind religious zealots in fiction, even if I don't like them in real life. Durance was actually my favorite companion in PoE 1 because he was written like any other person. Sure, he's got extreme views, but that's why he's a zealot. Still, he had feelings and doubts. He also played his part in fighting Eothas. I really liked his backstory.

I'd prefer to have companion interactions to those really long-winded main story interactions with the gods that end up being a pain in the ass, cos you are trying to do something else when they barge in and all the interactions with them don't seem to go anywhere anyway. I'd also prefer my companions to judge me for things that matter or things I actually say to them, than because I picked some convo line of no consequence they randomly decide to object to, or at least have the opportunity to discuss their views. So long story short: yes lol.

nvAeseu.png