We really need an easier way to swap party members and inventory

This game does not have fast travel so it's really boring when you want to switch a party member that you have to go the ship or find a tavern. I find it an unnecessary overhead and sometime I just stick with a combination that I don't really like just because I don't want to spend time traveling 2-3 screens JUST to swap party members. It's really annoying and I really think we should have an easier way to swap party members. Sometime you just want to do it because you are doing a quest were you need a high streetwise char or a char with a specific bg for that storyline or maybe just to crack a lock that requires that char that has higher mechanics but it's currently on your party. There are a lot of examples..

Also when you swap party member they automatically take their equip in their limbo, which is really insanely annoying as you have to strip them every time which adds more overhead to the already boring swapping experience. I think characters inventory should _always_ be available regardless of whether they are in your party or not so you can easily swap their gear.

This was brought up many times in PoE 1 and I'm frankly surprised we see these very same problems here.. Would that be that hard to implement or do you just like the fact that players should not be allowed more freedom?

• Like 9

+1 for swapping anywhere in friendly areas. It'd be quite handy.

+1 for making their inventory availible in friendly areas as well, altho that'd mean new UI bits which can be tricky to implement and frankly, as I don't tend to have a lot of overlap in party equipment, it's not that important (to me anyway)

Would that be that hard to implement or do you just like the fact that players should not be allowed more freedom?

Do you like swapping party members or do you just hate fun!?

yeah I'm with swapping companions faster . for now , I have been using the console codes : manageparty 

and I can switch them back and forth on the spot . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I think it is not intended that players strip the gear of their companions every time they are not used.

Passive companions do still fight during ship battles...

Imo there are really enough items in the game, so this isn't something I want to see implemented. I reached the limit of companions in my team and I enjoy equipping them with stuff I find along the way.

This kind of metagaming also breaks the immersion a bit too much imo if they would implement game features like auto strip or shared inventory.

I do agree with the overall party managment issues though.

Inventory filters could need an improvement (no item-type filter atm) aswell as the character swap mechanic.

Edited by Rulin
  • Like 1

I think it is not intended that players strip the gear of their companions every time they are not used.

It's not about stripping companions of their gear. Quite the opposite, it's about optimally distributing new-found gear across all companions and not just the ones in your current party.

It's not about stripping companions of their gear. Quite the opposite, it's about optimally distributing new-found gear across all companions and not just the ones in your current party.

I agree with that.

Yesterday I bought a new helmet and it was transfered to a personal inventory (once again). And I didn't noticed it at first.

Then I had to spend several minuts swapping all my companions to find the item after I noticed it wasn't in my stash and I haven't sold it by accident to some vendor.

This game does not have fast travel so it's really boring when you want to switch a party member that you have to go the ship or find a tavern. I find it an unnecessary overhead and sometime I just stick with a combination that I don't really like just because I don't want to spend time traveling 2-3 screens JUST to swap party members. It's really annoying and I really think we should have an easier way to swap party members. Sometime you just want to do it because you are doing a quest were you need a high streetwise char or a char with a specific bg for that storyline or maybe just to crack a lock that requires that char that has higher mechanics but it's currently on your party. There are a lot of examples..

Also when you swap party member they automatically take their equip in their limbo, which is really insanely annoying as you have to strip them every time which adds more overhead to the already boring swapping experience. I think characters inventory should _always_ be available regardless of whether they are in your party or not so you can easily swap their gear.

This was brought up many times in PoE 1 and I'm frankly surprised we see these very same problems here.. Would that be that hard to implement or do you just like the fact that players should not be allowed more freedom?

I have to disagree completely with this.  You SHOULD have to go back to your ship to manage your party.  Heck, I don't even think you should be able to do it at an inn.  You SHOULD have to go back to where your entire party and its reserves are.  (Oh, I suppose one can make an argument that if you're in port, your reserves would be at the nearby inn on shore leave, and thus accessible.)

I'm honestly quite tired of reading all these arguments in favor of laziness.   Boo-frickin'-hoo.  You have to travel back to your ship (or inn) to get to where your party's reserves are hanging out.  Too frickin' bad!    This is a role playing game.  And part of the role playing is doing some of the grunt work, like going back to where your reserves are hanging out to change the party's lineup!!!

I don't see this as a problem at all.  If there is a problem, it's that the devs aren't telling the players to stop being lazy and deal with the role playing aspect of having reserves!!!  You're lucky that when you remove someone from a roster that they don't just head back to their personal home base, like say, Pallegina heading back to the VTC HQ, or possibly having all removed party members just hanging out at the Wild Mare, either way forcing you to head back to Nekataka to find them. 

• Like 1

I have to disagree completely with this.  You SHOULD have to go back to your ship to manage your party.  Heck, I don't even think you should be able to do it at an inn.  You SHOULD have to go back to where your entire party and its reserves are.  (Oh, I suppose one can make an argument that if you're in port, your reserves would be at the nearby inn on shore leave, and thus accessible.)

I'm honestly quite tired of reading all these arguments in favor of laziness.   Boo-frickin'-hoo.  You have to travel back to your ship (or inn) to get to where your party's reserves are hanging out.  Too frickin' bad!    This is a role playing game.  And part of the role playing is doing some of the grunt work, like going back to where your reserves are hanging out to change the party's lineup!!!

I don't see this as a problem at all.  If there is a problem, it's that the devs aren't telling the players to stop being lazy and deal with the role playing aspect of having reserves!!!  You're lucky that when you remove someone from a roster that they don't just head back to their personal home base, like say, Pallegina heading back to the VTC HQ, or possibly having all removed party members just hanging out at the Wild Mare, either way forcing you to head back to Nekataka to find them. 

No reason to be a jerk about it, man. This is a game, people want games to be fun. That's what games are here for.

With the smaller party size, I find myself swapping out TONS because there are four faction-specific party members. It would be nice if it was easier, so I didn't have to go "crap, the Vailians are involved here, I probably want Pallegina along" and then run across the world to pick her up.

• Like 1

What does that accomplish? Is there some test of skill involved in walking to a given town? Do you expect players to find difficulty in that? Or do you just insist on wasting players time with trivial content that they have no chance of failing at and just pads time for no reason at all? Why can't you, if it's that important to you, only change your party in a given location? Why does it have to be forced upon you by Obsidian and they have to make sure that nobody else has badwrongfun either without resorting to modding? I don't agree with your position or really understand your arguments from a design perspective. You can restrict yourself if that helps you enjoy the game more. And good for you if it does. Why do you want others to have those constraints if they feel they don't make sense?

• Like 2

What does that accomplish? Is there some test of skill involved in walking to a given town? Do you expect players to find difficulty in that? Or do you just insist on wasting players time with trivial content that they have no chance of failing at and just pads time for no reason at all? Why can't you, if it's that important to you, only change your party in a given location? Why does it have to be forced upon you by Obsidian and they have to make sure that nobody else has badwrongfun either without resorting to modding? I don't agree with your position or really understand your arguments from a design perspective. You can restrict yourself if that helps you enjoy the game more. And good for you if it does. Why do you want others to have those constraints if they feel they don't make sense?

The thing is that those constraints DO makes sense.  All the sense in the world!!!  All I see is you defending laziness.

No reason to be a jerk about it, man. This is a game, people want games to be fun. That's what games are here for.

With the smaller party size, I find myself swapping out TONS because there are four faction-specific party members. It would be nice if it was easier, so I didn't have to go "crap, the Vailians are involved here, I probably want Pallegina along" and then run across the world to pick her up.

I'm not being a jerk.  I find the people defending laziness to be the jerks with the offensive, me me me, self-entitled attitudes.

There is fast travel to previously discovered locations on the city maps -- see the list of locations at the top left corner of the map.

Edit: Also, I can't verify this right now, but when you click the Supply button on the city maps, isnt there a party editor in that interface, too?

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

There is fast travel to previously discovered locations on the city maps -- see the list of locations at the top left corner of the map.

Edit: Also, I can't verify this right now, but when you click the Supply button on the city maps, isnt there a party editor in that interface, too?

No, there isn't.  I just checked.  And just to be safe, I checked while heading between districts in Nekataka, as well as when getting on the ship in Nekataka.  So, no, the Supply button "store" does not have access to party management.  It would seem OK if you had access to it if you were boarding the ship (since that's where your party reserves are), when you wanted to hit the "Supply" button, but that would probably have required additional programming that may not have felt necessary (as well as a waste of time and resources).

I'm not being a jerk.  I find the people defending laziness to be the jerks with the offensive, me me me, self-entitled attitudes.

it's not laziness . 

You want to walk all the way to the port everytime , cose it's role play ? then do so . 

But if someone want to click a button and switch companions , they should have that option . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

All I see here is only one person having self-entitled me me me attitude and it's you.

Sorry, even if you do think your way of playing the game is only way proper, it's still just your oppinion. And you don't have the position to tell other people their way of gaming is worse, lazy or stupid, because when you do, you sound like on old man ranting about kids these days and "playing games instead of reading is lazy!!!1111".

Sure, you can do it, but don't expect that somebody would care.

• Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.

But none of this gets to the real problem, which is simultaneous access to the inventories and paperdolls of all companions. This is currently not possible anywhere, even when on your ship. You have to keep swapping companions in and out of your party, which is extremely tedious and annoying.

I'm not asking for this access everywhere. But when I'm on the ship, and every companion is physically right there, why can't I access everyone jointly?

• Like 1

The thing is that those constraints DO makes sense.  All the sense in the world!!!  All I see is you defending laziness.

Dude... seriously, relax. You're not my mother trying to instill in me a good work ethic. You're a guy playing video games. I'm a person playing video games. It's a video game. Why are you invested in how "lazy" someone may be?

There is literally nothing to be gained by forcing people to take a long, featureless walk just to change their party. There is nothing to be lost by cutting out that walk. It's not in any way important, other than having it there is slightly annoying. This doesn't affect you in any way. You can still walk all the way back and change it if you like and if they made this change.

It's okay not to want to do something boring and tedious in a video game. Honest. It is not a moral failing on anybody's part.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 5/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, Ghilteras said:

This game does not have fast travel so it's really boring when you want to switch a party member that you have to go the ship or find a tavern.

I'm new to PoE, but played BG, Dragon Age, ME, IWDale, all ElderScrolls, the latest Kingsmaker (decent, PoE is better developed, bigger $$ budget.).

I find it perfect. I was like, "How do I change party!?" Oh on my ship? Well just leave this city (yea maybe 2 screens) but your ship is rarely far... much less a tavern, I have no complaints. I'm fine as-is.,

To appease all parties, maybe make it able to 'camp' and 'reassign party' anywhere unless in-combat or in-dungeon?