How do I start the Nemnok the Devourer quest?

You can just go to the village. But therer's a bounty set by someone in the dock of dunnage that leads to it - you kill all the bounties and they all have peices of a map to the island. It's quite a fun one, once you get there. There's an "upstairs" through the eyes that I recommend checking out first, gives a bit of flavour. 

• Like 2

Junvik village. Northeast on the map. 

NorthWEST ;)

Also is it a bug you have to kill the death wards at range? Because on the wiki it says you can kill an eotan for a ward that will let you pass but I went over every inch of that cave and could not find one. 

There's a named eoten to the... northwest, on the mouth level, who carries a wardstone. But it's just a regular wardstone for a regular set of wards, that you can indeed destroy. I don't know if this is supposed to be a serious quest element or just a hint for players who have no means at all of destroying them.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Also is it a bug you have to kill the death wards at range? Because on the wiki it says you can kill an eotan for a ward that will let you pass but I went over every inch of that cave and could not find one. 

Those things are freaking *HARSH*. I had no idea that was a thing and just walked into the room trying to take out the traps, and holy **** am I glad I saved just out side the room.

• Like 2