Plague of Insects scales with Alchemy

Fuoriclasse

Question

Just as the title implies.

The druid ability "Plague of Insects" scales with alchemy and adds it to the druid power level scaling.

Giving my level 14 druid with 17 points allocated in alchemy and a druid power level of 7 a total of 190% druid power level scaling.

This has probably something to do with the fact that you can counter the spell with antidotes, so you should check all spells affected by antidotes or other forms of skills.

Here a screenshot displaying the bug.

https://ibb.co/dMk8t8

13 answers to this question

This is in my thread already and the devs are aware of it.

This also happens with Malignant Cloud (Wizard), Noxious Burst (Wizard) and Death Ring (Wizard).

Any skill that has "Counters: Antidote" listed in its description is affected by Alchemy. Gaining one Power Level per rank of Alchemy.

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

lol yeah it does..

Alchemy improves not only the damage per tick (3 seconds) of a used poison, but also extends the duration.

I can post a few screenshots if you'd like, showing the difference between 0 Alchemy, 10 Alchemy, 20 Alchemy and 500 Alchemy (used for testing purposes). There is a very notable difference.

You're probably only looking at poisons with one character (probably the Watcher). Try switching to a different character and just mousing over the same poison. The damage values and duration will be different.

Cheers, mate!

On the crafting menu, yes, it only shows the "base value" of a poison (or potion, or drug). After you have one crafted, or purchased, in your inventory the values will be adjusted to reflect whatever character who's inventory you currently have active.

You forgot something...

You also get a "Party Bonus" to all skills, up to +10.

You generally only see this on level up.

Say for example your party is only Eder and the Watcher. Lets say the Watcher has 10 Athletics, and Eder has 2 Athletics. When you click the + icon to level up Eder, if you highlight Athletics it will say "2 self + 10 party bonus". Again, this only applies up to +10.

As a result of this, your entire party effectively has "6 Alchemy" as a result of Maia having 6 Alchemy.

The only time this doesn't specifically apply is with Athletics, actually. Since characters will not actually receive the Second Wind skill until they personally have at least one rank in Athletics.

Formula:

Party1 - 0 Alchemy

Party2 - 3 Alchemy

Party3 - 9 Alchemy

Party4 - 15 Alchemy

Party1 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 10 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

Party2 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 13 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

Party3 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 19 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

And

Party4 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 24 thanks to Party3's Party bonus.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Edited by ClockworkPenguin

You forgot something...

You also get a "Party Bonus" to all skills, up to +10.

You generally only see this on level up.

Say for example your party is only Eder and the Watcher. Lets say the Watcher has 10 Athletics, and Eder has 2 Athletics. When you click the + icon to level up Eder, if you highlight Athletics it will say "2 self + 10 party bonus". Again, this only applies up to +10.

As a result of this, your entire party effectively has "6 Alchemy" as a result of Maia having 6 Alchemy.

The only time this doesn't specifically apply is with Athletics, actually. Since characters will not actually receive the Second Wind skill until they personally have at least one rank in Athletics.

Formula:

Party1 - 0 Alchemy

Party2 - 3 Alchemy

Party3 - 9 Alchemy

Party4 - 15 Alchemy

Party1 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 10 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

Party2 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 13 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

Party3 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 19 thanks to Party4's Party Bonus.

And

Party4 would have an effective Alchemy rank of 24 thanks to Party3's Party bonus.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

That's not how any of those things work. The 'party assist' system is only in effect during skill checks, and it has no effect during combat. Furthermore, that's not the formula used for 'party assist' calculations. (https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_skills)... it's very easy to test

The values shown in my screenshots reflect the poison values for 'Alchemy = 0' (which you can easily test with only a single character with zero Alchemy). Besides, it's only an UI issue (that doesn't affect bombs/potions etc.), as the Alchemy skill does improve the potency of poisons when used in combat.

I still can't believe you thought the 'party assist' mechanic worked that way...  and you assumed you were 'clearing things up' for me. Such arrogance.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of alchemy, it doesn't improve the potency of poisons at all.

Then you've stuck your foot in your own mouth, as you've already demonstrated that Alchemy does indeed boost poison effects.

Just because the UI does not reflect it, doesn't mean that the effect itself is not affected. I believe it was you who even commented about items/weapons working properly despite incorrect UI displays.

I really shouldn't have to say this, but you can keep the snide comments about your personal opinion of me to yourself. This part of the forum is for bug reporting and game related issues, not proposed flame wars.

Cheers!

While we're on the subject of alchemy, it doesn't improve the potency of poisons at all.

Then you've stuck your foot in your own mouth, as you've already demonstrated that Alchemy does indeed boost poison effects.

Just because the UI does not reflect it, doesn't mean that the effect itself is not affected. I believe it was you who even commented about items/weapons working properly despite incorrect UI displays.

I really shouldn't have to say this, but you can keep the snide comments about your personal opinion of me to yourself. This part of the forum is for bug reporting and game related issues, not proposed flame wars.

Cheers!

I immediately rectified my position after testing the effect of Alchemy in combat (by clearly stating that it was simply a UI issue). I incorrectly assumed that it wasn't the case because the tooltips accurately reflect the effect of Alchemy on potions (and the effect of Explosives on bombs). It's nice to see how you completely failed to address your ludicrous 'party assist' explanation. Crippling narcissism is a helluva thing.

• Like 1