Build Concept/Starting Set Up: The bleeding Corsair (Zealot; Veteran difficultly); asking for input

Let me say beforehand that I only just got deadfire a few days ago; and I’ve spend all my time trying around with lvl 1-2 characters to figure out what suits me. I therefore have not yet experienced the game to an extent where I can actually judge wether this is a viable build.

Still, I feel this is a promising build. And because of this, and because of my noobiness in this game, I am presenting it as a concept; in hopes of receiving some helpful comments. I know I may asking for a bit of a lot; but if possible, please try to avoid (story-related) spoilers. ;)

So; what’s the deal?

Race: Death Godlike

Class: Priest of Wael/Streetfighter Zealot

Origin: Old Vailia

Attributes:

M 11

C 10

D 16

P 11

I 20

R 10

What did I seek to archive? Deadfire’s death godlikes gain, thanks to their “Pallid Fate” passive, 3 extra powerlevels if below 25% health. Streetfighters deal +50% damage if below 50% health. Additionally, death godlike rogues deal +30% damage using sneak attack (+45% below 25% health, for example) and +20% against enemies with low health thanks to deaths usher. All in all, a streetfighting death godlike stacks quite a few damage boosts when killing while below 25% health.

Here we come to why the multi class. Ideally, the character should drop below 25% health relatively quickly and then remain there, as long and as stable as possible. A priest of Wael seemed ideal for this, as they gain several defence boosting spells from the wizard class; starting with Arcane Veil at lvl 1. With the high Int, these spells should last quite a while (+50% duration). Additionally, the priest class provides further defense boosts; as well as boosts to damage, accuracy, etc; as well as the occasional debuff to make sneak attack trigger. Also features the “withdraw” spell, making the character invisible and regenerating him.... the ultimate panic button.

To further boost this build, I took inspiration from the duelling corsair build. Credit where credit is due:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99676-class-build-the-duelling-corsair/

Using the same rapier/dagger modals allows to gain another 10 deflection when the time comes, as well as +20 accuracy for more crits.

In essence, my goal is to drop below 25% health at the start of combat and then, while quickly buffing up deflection, remain there and make use of the damage boosts that come with it.

So; any thoughts? Any comment would be welcome :)

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Getting below 25% quickly and then staying there seems risky and unreliable, one hit and you might be down. If you want to go with this I'd recommend going Paladin (Shieldbearer of St Elcga subclass) instead of Priest of Wael, Lay on Hands prevents you from dying for a little bit, downside might be that you'd heal yourself out of Near Death region. Priests do have Barring Death's Door admittedly, so you could still go that route, you do just get it quite a bit later and the recovery time is long as hell. Either way, you might want to invest in Constitution a little bit so you 1-25% health range is larger, to avoid surprise deaths.

Getting below 25% quickly and then staying there seems risky and unreliable, one hit and you might be down. If you want to go with this I'd recommend going Paladin (Shieldbearer of St Elcga subclass) instead of Priest of Wael, Lay on Hands prevents you from dying for a little bit, downside might be that you'd heal yourself out of Near Death region. Priests do have Barring Death's Door admittedly, so you could still go that route, you do just get it quite a bit later and the recovery time is long as hell. Either way, you might want to invest in Constitution a little bit so you 1-25% health range is larger, to avoid surprise deaths.

I wouldn't discount priest that quickly since Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time can prevent death more easily and increases time of other buffs in effect. St Elcga's buff has to be reapplied every so often (w/ a recovery time too) which further limits its usability. The main problem is, as you said, being pretty high level for multiclass. Paladin offers a lot more than priest right now too in general.

That being said it's still quite risky (at least on POTD) since immune to dying doesn't mean being immune to CC and Wael's quick buffs only boost Deflection and Reflex. There's really not that much benefit dropping down below 50% HP either since you could easily just take Nature Godlike and get +2 PL with a much easier activation (+20% against enemies near death is extremely negligible). If you're not going solo then having yourself be the priest is pretty redundant too since pure rogue or muticlassing with another martial class would offer a lot more if you want to stick with the melee off-tank-ish role.

Thanks for the responses!

In my PoE (one) experience, having two priests was quite a game changer. Used to be tremendously powerful... is that still a thing? If not, i might actually switch to pure martial.

Switching to nature godlike also seems like a good idea. I’ll have to think wether i can “justify” that RP-wise ;)

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows