Best skills/abilities/equipment for Aloth as a Battlemage

Here is the way I built him:

(1) Focus on self-buff wizard spells: level 1 (fleet feet, spirit shield), level 2 (infuse with vital essence, maybe arcane veil from grimoire but that doesn't stack with the next spell), level 3 (llengrath's displaced image), level 4 (ironskin), level 7 (citzal's martial power). Set AI to auto-cast those (if you want more directions about how exactly to set the AI, let me know; I have some ideas).

(2) Fighter priorities: disciplined barrage/strikes, fighter stances (upgrade one -- I use mob stance), weapon style, charge, weapon specialization, rapid recovery, penetrating strike

(3) You can use either two weapons or two-handed weapons. I use two-handed weapons, Whispers of the Endless Paths early, Citzal's Spirit Lance (level 5 spell) later, to combo nicely with cleaving/mob stance. I think this build would work well with the spinning polleaxe too.

In my experience, he does a little less damage than my fighter/rogue Eder, but he is quite a lot tougher with all those defensive buffs. The Whispers of the Endless Paths greatsword upgrade that ripostes on a miss works well with this build, since you can buff up deflection really high with Arcane Veil or Llengrath's Displaced Image. But I wonder if having two weapons would boost the damage compared to two-handed weapons -- I'll bet it would.

Since he's a fighter with disciplined strikes, anything that triggers on a crit is good on him (like the gatecrasher gauntlets or those lighting gauntlets that do a lighting attack when you crit). Otherwise, I mainly just go with gear that helps his defenses or damage; I don't have a systematic philosophy for itemization. (If you think of one, let me know!)

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 2

My batllemage Aloth on PotD dualwielded the Wael scepter and the whale of a wand and shot things while using Disciplined Strikes in between casting spells. Once I got the Grimoire with the freezing fireball that paralyzes I pretty much just stuck with that. Had swords on switch that I could bang out a few charges if I wanted to. I see no reason to keep him as a single class mage, just Disciplined Strikes and Armored Grace are enough reasons to give up power level eight and nine spells, which you can just pump Arcana to 15 and make scrolls if you really want meteor swarm.

PotD in general was pretty easy once I leveled up to ten or so.

I had Eder as a fighter/rogue with dual pistols and dual daggers who stayed drunk and mean. Most of the time he just stayed and shot things while my Shattered Pillar killed everything (that power level nine teleporting whirlwind ability is stupidly OP)

• Like 3

I went with Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage with a focus on disengagement attacks, and buffs.

Strange. Disengagements attacks don't work for me vs terrified enemies. They simply remove engagement from my dudes.

• 1 month later...

My batllemage Aloth on PotD dualwielded the Wael scepter and the whale of a wand and shot things while using Disciplined Strikes in between casting spells. Once I got the Grimoire with the freezing fireball that paralyzes I pretty much just stuck with that. Had swords on switch that I could bang out a few charges if I wanted to. I see no reason to keep him as a single class mage, just Disciplined Strikes and Armored Grace are enough reasons to give up power level eight and nine spells, which you can just pump Arcana to 15 and make scrolls if you really want meteor swarm.

PotD in general was pretty easy once I leveled up to ten or so.

I had Eder as a fighter/rogue with dual pistols and dual daggers who stayed drunk and mean. Most of the time he just stayed and shot things while my Shattered Pillar killed everything (that power level nine teleporting whirlwind ability is stupidly OP)

Dude this aloth build is great!!!

I'll focus on self buffs and applying Mule Kick in an AoE. I usually use the Bracers that give you more Discipline (basically two additional Mule Kicks or one additional Clear Out later on) and two Rings of Overseeing as well as Aloth's original armor. Once I get Spirit Lance I will use it with Mule Kick, else WotEP. Later, once you get Clear Out, you can deal massive AoE damage on cramped mobs (Pull of Eora or Arkemyr's Dazzling Light used like Spark Crackers) because Clear Out will do a Primary Attack on every enemy in range - and the Primary Attack of the Spirit Lance includes the crush AoE. So if you hit 5 enemies with a huge Lance circle and Clear Out cone they will each get hit by 1 pierce attack and 4 crush attacks. This also leads to Cleave very often. This does not work with WotEP though. It will not proc its cone AoE with Clear Out. I believe Wahaī Pōraga works.

• Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods