I still haven't tested if Blood Thirst works with spells - but even with Frenzy & Bloodlust you can cast a lot faster than a "normal" wizard. Blood Thirst would take away recovery completely after a kill.

So I'd say it's totally viable. Tenacious (from Berserker's Frenzy) even works with spells - and since a lot of spells have friendly fire anyways... nfuse with Vital Essence should remove Confusion if you don't like the -4 INT that it comes with. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Carnage i don't believe works with ranged, Frenzy works as it is just action speed. My Warlock seems like they cast faster than normal, however that could just be the sped up recovery.

I currently play mine solo using wizard buffs for defence and DW, drop Chill fog and combusting wounds then hit and trigger the CW. My plan for the char was to test the snakeskin grimoire summoed weapon to see if it acts as a melee DW weapon and if the poison procs from carnage hits.

• Like 1

Carnage doesn't proc weapons' special effects anymore.

It's also doing much less damage than in PoE 1 so it's not such a big loss if you don't use it (for example if you want to concentrate on spells rather than melee).

Frenzy and Bloodlust do indeed speed up casting time and also recovery for spells since both are universal speed buffs.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the last few days I tried to decide my next character's class and the last two in the lot were the barbarian/wizard and the rogue/wizard. The rogue is definitely nice, has multiple escape/stealth abilities, various ways to increase it's damage output, but the streetfighter for an example has -50% recovery time when bloodied, while the barbarian has +25% action speed (Frenzy) and another +20% action speed after a kill for 10 secs thanks to Bloodlust along with many damage and crit improving bonuses. Action speed bonus means both casting and recovery so it's way better. 

My only concern was the accuracy on potd level. The fighter>paladin>rogue have accuracy buffs and/or attacks with bonus accuracy while the barbarian only has bonus penetration. 

Anyway I started my own warlock last night and it feels great so far. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯