General Tank/RP Question: How Important Are Con and Resolve?

Hey guys,

So in PoE1 I played a glass cannon Striker type character that was a lot of fun, but I really want to experiment with a Paladin multiclass in Pillars 2 (You can see my build here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101021-looking-for-help-with-a-crusader-bleak-walkerdevoted-build-for-potd/).I'm hoping to be a tank, engaging lots of enemies and not dying due to superior defenses while shelling out decent damage in response. I just had a few questions about stats for such a character...

1. So far, most tanking/solo builds I've seen have dumped Resolve - either to as low as 3 or at least 8 or so. I get why, because Paladins provide so much Will/Deflection in their own right, the small bonuses you get are just peanuts, but then I start to worry about dialogue checks involving Resolve. In Pillars 1, Resolve was EVERYWHERE - it essentially served as your Charisma score, and was checked quite a bit when it came to force of will type conversation options. In fact, I think there was one potential game over you could get for not having a high enough Resolve to resist a particular effect. How necessary is having a high Resolve for getting the best out of the story of Deadfire? 

2. People have ALSO discussed that tank builds have little need for Constitution. This I'm a tad more willing to accept, it's certainly worth having in the beginning, but not so much in the middle/end of the game where your defenses should be high enough to comfortably graze/no-pen most attacks. Is just leaving it at a 10 base good enough to start? 

Also, I'm considering a Paladin/Fighter, so using the stats I have freed up by not investing in Resolve or Con, what should I focus on next? The latest build I've theorycrafted on the thread there has Intellect as a tertiary stat after Might and Precision, for AoE range and skill duration. Would that be worth going for? 

1 - Not nearly as important as it was in POE 1, it's used largely to resist assaults on the mind or to impress your will upon someone else

2 - 10 is sufficient though 12 might be a better starting point depending on your difficulty setting

3 - Yes.

So I just finished the game with a Bleak Walker paladin, 19 Resolve and 10 Constitution base and honestly I feel like I could have dumped Constitution to minimum because by about halfway through the game my armor rating and defenses were so high that literally the only damage I ever took was from Voidwheel and Sacred Immolation. 

So I just finished the game with a Bleak Walker paladin, 19 Resolve and 10 Constitution base and honestly I feel like I could have dumped Constitution to minimum because by about halfway through the game my armor rating and defenses were so high that literally the only damage I ever took was from Voidwheel and Sacred Immolation. 

Seriously? Yeesh. How much HP did you have at the end? 

Edit: Or rather, that'd be -35% health I think, so we'd have to do the math. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

1 - Not nearly as important as it was in POE 1, it's used largely to resist assaults on the mind or to impress your will upon someone else

2 - 10 is sufficient though 12 might be a better starting point depending on your difficulty setting

3 - Yes.

Alright. How many of those 'assaults on the mind' are there? I'm assuming Serafen's whole Cipher Wild Magic thing is one of them? 

Fampyr's are the worst for 'save' encounters, but even if you tank your resists, you can get by with a gaze immunity shield.  The only problem with dumping your stats, the beginning of the game can be painful.  Even generally speaking, with a normal, or good build even; the beginning is the hardest part.  Once you have more talents, and gear, you can blow past most the content in a non focussed build.

Fampyr's are the worst for 'save' encounters, but even if you tank your resists, you can get by with a gaze immunity shield.  The only problem with dumping your stats, the beginning of the game can be painful.  Even generally speaking, with a normal, or good build even; the beginning is the hardest part.  Once you have more talents, and gear, you can blow past most the content in a non focussed build.

Plus Modwyr (AKA, sword waifu) gives immunity to Intellect afflictions anyway, which I think includes Charmed and Dominated. I was moreso asking if there were any scripted interactions or dialogue checks where someone was trying to dominate you that Resolve would help with. 

Hi, i made a Arcane Knight. With high res and low cons. I think it was around 8. The idea was that i could buf my con with "Infuse With Vital Essence" if i needed extra health. In practice i only did use that on low levels. Later on you don't need the medium cons. ( BTW low cons is easy to repair with +3 an +2 cons on belts)

Overall i must admit that a Arcane Knight is a excellent tank from the beginning of the game until end. Early game you buff urself for survivability but from mid game till end i focussed on AOE damage with spells like "Torrent of Flame" and "Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst". The paladins "The Shieldbearers of St Elca" are great tanks on its own. I find out that the Enchantment Wizard is very complementary to that class. It also gives you nice utility. Because i had a low Con and low Perception build and therefore hight Might/ Resolve/ Intellect) the AOE damage was great. Mid game i stated to solo engagements with this Arcane Knight and was impressed with its performance as a tank first and AOE DPS. Overall a fun / strong class for Tankadins.

PS:  I also had to repair my low Perception with the spell "Eldritch Aim" and later repaired it with gear.