So I'm enjoying my current POTD solo game, but now getting to the point where I'm accumulating uniques and having some trouble deciding between them. At least for the early portions of the game, are there are real stand out unique one handed weapons? I've used the console to kind of cheat and give myself extra proficiencies, so the 'type' of one hander isn't a concern.

Right now I'm sitting on Mordyr, Tarns Respite, Ranning Wrath, Min's Fortune, and can go grab a few others it seems at this point in the game. Is there a preferred group of weapons for dual wield/crit builds? Mordyr's seems to add a ton of lash damage, and has scaling attack speed (seems useful since its just me attacking and POTD). Tarns Respite seems to be an easy heavy hitter but doesnt offer a whole lot. Ranning Wrath attacks *REALLY* fast and has the option for bonus damage while flanking (which I can get due to Rogue's distracting passive), while Min's fortune gives crit damage, though the bonus crit chance per hit seems kind of meh since it resets every crit.

For this kind of build (where im generally surrounded, relying on fast attacks and crits) is there a clear winner or other weapons I should be targeting?

Might want to consider Stalker's Patience.  Spear modal add +1 engagement, and if you have Persistent Distraction it will add give you one more distraction target.  Since you won't have +1 engagement from shields this will help.  Also, it does great damage if you spec into some Stealth.  Since distraction lowers perception it helps reduce the times you will get hit, and help maintain bloodied.  However, all the weapons you listed are also good.  Also, the longer recovery on Spear Modal to get the +1 engagement isn't really too noticeable on SF when bloodied/flanked, or at least when I needed it with my SF it was a worth while trade. 

When bloodied, flanked, and the target has afflictions... The spear hits like a truck. 

Where is Stalker's Patience from? How fast does the flank damage bonus scale with stealth skill? I was contemplating dual spears for a little while, but was under the impression spears were somehow inferior weapons to swords cause piercing is so often resisted (not sure if this is true). 

Also I recall seeing a weapon that had a proc that reduced recovery down to 0 for a few seconds on hit, but can't find it. Seemed from what I recall that procing it applied to your character and not just the weapon which was super good. 

Edited by Faytte

You buy Stalker's Patience in Sayuka off a vendor. $30,000. My build was Spear and Shield, and outside of the odd fight where immunities or piercing AR made me swap I had little trouble with spears.

Dot from Ring the Bell + Stalker's patience DoT + deep wounds DoT + bloodied/flanked street fighter sneak attack + death blows = bananas. That is what I can say.

I remember that weapon that procced 0 recovery on crit being discussed, but not which one it was. So I cant be much help there.

Regarding Stalker's Patience

How does it compare to something like https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kapana_Taga

On face value:

Kapanga and Stalker's both do 10% raw, but Kapanga does it up front.

Kapanga gives +1 engagement, so no need to use module. 

Stalkers gives 10% flank target and I imagine, gets +1% per stealth. In that case with 15 ish stealth thats +25% to flanked targets

Kapanga has a chance to daze on hit (nice defensively, and can help proc Death Blows) and with 3 engagements is adding 9% damage, which is far from what Stalkers gives vs flanked targets. Stalkers clearly wins here.

But then I glanced at Spears and, the module doesnt increase recovery, but stride. As a devoted/street fighter, stride is basically pointless, which kind of means the spear module can be left on forever for +1 engagement. Spears also have 1 more penetration than swords and +5 accuracy over swords. 

Thats actually really great. It seems like going spear/spear (if the game lets you?) would be super viable. 

Might be a spear/spear weapon set would be ideal vs groups for engagements and accuracy/damage, but vs single targets, moving to Battle Axes would probably yield the most damage, but there arnt really many good options to do double battle axe unfortunately. 

Daggers are interesting. Pukestabber has an incredible passive for drinking (20% speed and damage), and there is a soul bound dagger with a lash and stacking attack speed, though im not sure how much of this is negated by daggers lower base damage.

Update: not sure what Stalkers enchants are, but Kapanaga has some goodies

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kapana_Taga

Engagement bonus increases to +5% per engagement and +2 engagements, +4 accuracy per engaged target. With 4 enemies at melee, Kagana is gonna stack favorably vs Stalker, but I don't know about Stalker's unique enhancements. 

Ah, thank you. So any flanking damage bonuses are basically always active.

Wish I could get a confirmation on how the spears flanking damage scales with stealth. Some other weapons give a straight 20% to flanking damage. 

Ah, thank you. So any flanking damage bonuses are basically always active.

Wish I could get a confirmation on how the spears flanking damage scales with stealth. Some other weapons give a straight 20% to flanking damage.

Unfortunately, I am at work, and won't have time to log on to check Stalker's patience scaling until sometime tomorrow.

I forgot the modal decreased stride. I must have confused it's tradeoff with something else. My apologies.

Never mind, looks like its an enhancement on Scordeos. With this in mind...I think Scordeo's edge main hand and either Stalkers (+1 engage and some damage) or Kapana (+2 engage and some stuff) would be the best weapons vs a group. Not sure about single target. 

A big question i have, are things like 'bonus flank damage' from the spear, or Min's fortune bonus crit damage applied to both weapons, or only locally to that weapon? 

dUVR8II.png

Edit: Actually, in retrospect, while Scordeo's is kind of insane, I'm actually unsure about it. On one hand, procing blade cascade should be easy when you are using charge on groups. On the other hand, when surrounded Street Fighter already has an insane recovery speed, so I'm not sure if this is actually going to be better than a damage lash in its place. In single target situations, getting it to proc reliably is not that easy at 10%, which sure, you might get chain procs, but you might not. If you could get chain procs, then Street Fighter is kind of a unneeded sub class. You could go devoted/monk or devoted/chanter and be in a better position. 

Edited by Faytte

Here's Stalker's link fully upgraded...

+ 10 % damage to Flanked targets (Increases with Stealth skill)

Hits cause 20 % damage as raw over time

33 % chance to recover immediately on Crit

(edit: I can't upload an image because)

Edited by peolone

^

Min's Fortune's crit damage is local - it affects only that weapon, not both. I've tested it.

Scordeo, on the other hand, is completely insane and probably the best weapon in the game.

I'm almost tempted to think that Scordeo might make Street Fighter somewhat unnecessary. The 50% damage while flanked is nice for certain, but rogue actives arn't all that spectacular. 

Street Fighter: 50% recovery time (kind of sorta of negated), 50% damage against flanked, 100% crit when bloodied. 30% damage from sneak attack. 50% damage with deathblows. Dirty fighting for 10% hit to crit. There is also the 20% bleed but, i dont believe that stacks on the target, and if we are attacking super fast, it's not an amazing damage source unless it did stack. 

HellWalker Monk: +1 might per wound. If your on average sitting around 4 unspent wounds, thats 12% damage. 20% action speed on strikes. Ignoring cheese swift flurry and going lightnign strikes is a 30% lash (which is better than other damage mods, since its a multiplier). Turning Wheel at 4 wounds is another 20% lash. Monk doesnt really have a good full attack spam like Rogue does.

Berserker: 5 might (15% damage) and 2 pen (which as I understand, is effectively a 20% lash unless they have no armor left after pen), 30% hit to crit, 25% action speed, 25% bonus while bloodied, 20% damage from one stands alone, 20% attack speed from blood lust, bloody slaughter comes out to 5% damage/10% crit damage overall, blood thirst auto recover is like a mini scordeo's proc (or a major, last 10 seconds).

Looking at it this way, its hard for me to judge. For spammable powers, Barbaric Smash looks very good compared to eliminating blow. Both cost two resources and are full attacks. 50% damage, +10 accuracy (so +10 crit cahnce) and 200% damage by percent lost means finishing blow will probably do more single target damage, but barbaric smash 2 penetration ends up being 20% more damage, and while it has much less raw bonus damage (25%), the whopping 30% of hits to crits and 50% crit damage ontop of the expanded carnage area and berserk extra hit to crit means we should get reliable crits and refundability, so you can semi spam this ability after using up your warrior resources on charging. 

It *feels* to me that, against many enemies that barbarian/devoted is going to be better once you have scordeos edge proccing, because of its inherit aoe. Against single targets, Monk seems better? Rogue can get 50% recovery going while blooded, but Monk has 20% action speed, and rogue has a lot of built in additive damage bonus vs the monks much better lashes. The only issue with monk is there isn't a good resource spender other than maintaining your buffs it feels like. Their full attacks largely seem to be CC based.  Rogues street fighter generally doesnt come online in single target fights until you hit bloodied, leaving you with sneak attack and death blows. In group fights is fine but, the aoe of the barbarian probably wins out there. 

Edit: Thinking about this more, if attacks from Carnage have a chance to proc Scordeos (either of its affects actually) then that puts Barbarian way ahead of Street Fighter on aoe situations (more so in fact). In single target a Street Fighter does not really come online until they are bloodied either, which is a big down side over barb or monk. 

Edited by Faytte

Sorry it took so long.  It looks like Ambushing on Stalker's Patience scales at 1% per point of Stealth.   So, it scales incredibly well depending on your Skill loadout. 

I'm not sure I would agree with that. I mean, its not bad. But at 15 stealth thats +25 damage vs flanked, but an increase in damage is additive. Modwyr is giving you a 20% elemental damage lash which ends up being far more damage since its multiplicative. 

True, but you also get the Enchantment Mortal Wounds which gives "Hits with this weapon cause 20% damage as Raw damage over time" on top of Ambush.  So, you get added damage up front plus DoTs, and this all goes on with whatever your Street Fighter is doing too.  Deep Wounds, Ring the Bell, etc.  It just isn't quite as front loaded as Modwyr.  Also, almost everyone you fight with a rogue will have flanked from Persistent Distraction, but in cases where you don't get that switching to another weapon definitely makes sense.  I'm not saying the spear is the end all be all, but it is a great spear that does great damage, and has that modal capability which helps SF a lot. 

EDIT:  Also, another Enchantment upgrade is called Mercy Strike.  "33% chance to recover immediately on Crit"  I forgot about that. 

Edited by Ganrich

True, but you also get the Enchantment Mortal Wounds which gives "Hits with this weapon cause 20% damage as Raw damage over time" on top of Ambush.  So, you get added damage up front plus DoTs, and this all goes on with whatever your Street Fighter is doing too.  Deep Wounds, Ring the Bell, etc.  It just isn't quite as front loaded as Modwyr.  Also, almost everyone you fight with a rogue will have flanked from Persistent Distraction, but in cases where you don't get that switching to another weapon definitely makes sense.  I'm not saying the spear is the end all be all, but it is a great spear that does great damage, and has that modal capability which helps SF a lot. 

EDIT:  Also, another Enchantment upgrade is called Mercy Strike.  "33% chance to recover immediately on Crit"  I forgot about that. 

Sure, I'm not saying its a bad weapon, but trying to ascertain what is the very best. Here is a question for you; does applying that DOT while its still up stack the dot, or extend the duration? If it stacks (i.e you can have multiple instances of it up on the same foe) then thats very good. If it merely resets the duration, not so much. 

In that case, I think Scoderos + Kapana Taga is a better combination. Kapana is going to give you +2 engagements when enchanted, and it does its extra raw damage immediately, so there is no issue of overlap. It also gains 5% damage per engaged enemy, which with 3-4 dudes is about what your flanking bonus is getting you from the spear. It should also just do more damage on average cause it does best of slash or crush (the later of which enemies seem to not have alot of DR in). Kapana effective will make you engagement neutral if you were using a spear(+1 with modal) and a shield (+1) and you will get the benefit of the crazy full attacks of charge, cleaving stance, etc.