Hey guys!

Im looking for a guide on how to build my companions

And also AI sheets for beginners.

My issue is the following:

Its my first time playing game with management of a full party and from what i was testing so far

The built in AI for the companion just suck.

Example:

Xoti doesnt heal... If i copy her sheet and put 75% instead of 50... She doeant heal at all ...

All my party members doesn't use skills. Just few basic attacks and thats it.

And its really hard for me so far to manage each members attack... Every battle and every attack turn i have to pause to tell all 5 members what to use. Even small battles end after 20 minutes this way.

Please help me out

I checked the default priest script and I think I don't like it either. In my custom script I have placed the heal actions on top, so that they get highest priority.

I think it is best to create a blank script and then fill it little by little while you level up. This way you will end up with a script that you understand fully and is custom tailored for your character and party.

Also make sure all members have their AI activated and that they have AI behavior selected.

By the way, did you try to play battles on one of the slower speed settings? This way you won't be overwhelmed and won't need to pause as much. Probably won't make the battle finish any faster, though :)

Edited by wih

I tried my own script

Changed the healing to first

Instead of 50% i put 75... So 75% and below she must heal. Instead shes running like an ass of fire dps to hit everything she finds. Leaving my whole party to die.

I have ai on on every member but myself.

Also this elf mage that already got spells and best book in game... Doesn't use his spells at all... Like why does he need spells if all he does is shooting his want feom afar o.O

Im hoping someone will find the will and time to post AI sheets for newbies like me with at least basic stuff.

Before POE2 i used to play dragon age - AI there was good and the creation of new sheet was easy and well explained - ofc some people posted guides as well with the class build.

Poe2 is still new and maybe it will happen in the future, but so far - the AI system is very disappointing comparing to the complexity of the game itself.

Strange. My scripts work much more reliably than what you experience.

Can you do this: delete everyting in Xoti's script and then place the following:

Condition: Target: Health Below 50% (Bloodied)

Action: Restore

Target Type: Ally or Self

Prioritize By: Lowest health

Also give her a bow.

Edited by wih
  • Like 1

I am more or less happy with custom AI working.

I miss "if max focus" or "allies in range of spell". 

I miss "move condition to top of list".

Export AI setup to string, that would be great.

Use only one list made custom by you.

Set it by order, not random.

Put second wind self top.

Put healing spells self or allies 2nd, low health priority. 

Put your nukes high with "there is enemy ally in range," and "no there enemys enemy in melee range" and priority by number of enemies.

(we want to catch bunch of enemies but nor our folks in friendly fire)

Gauns Harvest ENEMY if engaded by this character, and if in melee range.

Generally syntax "Enemy has ally in range"+"Enemy has no enemies in range" works quite good.

Order on the list matters, so put your favorite spells on top.

Also "is engaded by this character" for powerful attacks like FoD is good.

Some spells are not useful, so just delete them from list.

Some spells have duration so set wait time for them.

You can have same ability be used in different conditions.

Casters may not use spells if they run out cast.

Generally it is easier to AIset martial, and micro casters.

Edited by evilcat

A bow? O.o

This flashlight and toothpick don't do well?

I was to trying to eliminate some variables.

The point of the bow was to force her to stay on the backline so that we can see whether she would heal reliably with the script I posted. So what happened? Did she start to heal the wounded party members?

Scripting for dummies:

1st and most important, scripts are sequential.  every few fractions of a second the AI reads the script from top to bottom

2nd, a player inputted command disables AI until that command is finished - If you tell Xoti to walk 1/2 way across the battlefield, she will do nothing else until that walk is finished or prevented by enemy action

1:  is this box on cooldown - this refers to the customizable cooldown in the behavior settings, if yes: skip to next box  if no:  proceed

2:  if necessary, define "target" - the word "target" in conditionals depends on the target set for the ability, this is especially important when referencing allies or enemies of the "target."  the condition "Target: allies in melee range > 0" on an enemy only ability (a nuke)  means:  are there 2 enemies of the caster within melee range of each other(are there 2 enemies standing together)

The actual target will be chosen based on the target preference chosen(highest Will, lowest deflection, marked, etc), then nearest to farthest away(unless the preference chosen was "farthest")

3:  conditional - target(self or ally): health below 50%,  are there any allies or myself who are below half health?  if yes: continue, if no: skip to next box

4:  additional conditionals - ALL conditionals must be true for an ability to fire(useful for keeping a caster from using a huge nuke on just one peon enemy)

5:  availability*- can the ability be cast/used(are you out of zeal/guile/focus/phrases/etc)? if yes: continue, if no:  skip to next Ability, if no more abilities listed, skip to next box

6:  range - is the target in range(non-factor for self target).  if yes:  cast ability, if no:  check engagement status.

If not engaged:  walk towards target(shortest path possible) until target is in range, cast ability. 

If engaged:  check engagement flag

if "allow disengage" checked:  walk towards target(shortest path possible, taking the disengagement hit) until target is in range, cast ability.

if not:  Skip to next Ability, if no more abilities listed, skip to next box***

The sequential nature is what screws up a lot of people, if you have a buff or attack listed above your heals, she'll never get around to casting a heal until she has no viable targets for her attacks(this is bad).  Second wind should be the first conditional for every AI behavior for any character that can use it (self: health below 50% - second wind on self, no target preference)

USE YOUR COOLDOWNS - they default to 0 and should almost never be left that way unless you're building very specific conditionals or you'll just burn through your resources in seconds on useless actions(casting mirror image 4 times in 10 seconds)

be careful with conals - its probably a bug, but a conal ability(originates from caster acts in a triangle) doesn't check distance, if the target is 20m away, but your cone only reaches 5m in front of you, the AI will still fire the ability hitting nothing and wasting resources. 

Generally speaking, and assuming not playing a beguiler-cipher or a rogue, most attacks shouldn't be set to AI until you reach a point where you have more resources than you really know what to do with.  AI attacks increase DPS(the computer is faster than you) but greatly hurt flexibility - The "Self: has at least # resource" conditional can help here.  Rogues and beguilers should keep some on AI to ensure sneak attacks stay active, but be very careful with rogues, guile doesn't regenerate.

All told the behavior editor is by far the most fleshed out one of those I've seen in quite some time, I'm actually very impressed.  but, you gotta be careful with it, using it poorly can easily lead to a party wipe as characters stop filling their role because you "told" them to do other things

*This is why the pre-made AI's suck, they mix too many abilities under one condition and in the wrong order meaning some higher level/stronger abilities won't be used just the weaker ones that are listed first

***This is checked repeatedly during the walk, if an enemy engages you mid-way and you aren't flagged for allow disengage, that can easily prevent a needed heal from going off since Xoti won't walk any farther(it would require her to break an engagement) but the target is still out of range, step 6 fails... skip to next box

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Scripting for dummies:

1st and most important, scripts are sequential.  every few fractions of a second the AI reads the script from top to bottom

2nd, a player inputted command disables AI until that command is finished - If you tell Xoti to walk 1/2 way across the battlefield, she will do nothing else until that walk is finished or prevented by enemy action

1:  is this box on cooldown - this refers to the customizable cooldown in the behavior settings, if yes: skip to next box  if no:  proceed

2:  if necessary, define "target" - the word "target" in conditionals depends on the target set for the ability, this is especially important when referencing allies or enemies of the "target."  the condition "Target: allies in melee range > 0" on an enemy only ability (a nuke)  means:  are there 2 enemies of the caster within melee range of each other(are there 2 enemies standing together)

The actual target will be chosen based on the target preference chosen(highest Will, lowest deflection, marked, etc), then nearest to farthest away(unless the preference chosen was "farthest")

3:  conditional - target(self or ally): health below 50%,  are there any allies or myself who are below half health?  if yes: continue, if no: skip to next box

4:  additional conditionals - ALL conditionals must be true for an ability to fire(useful for keeping a caster from using a huge nuke on just one peon enemy)

5:  availability*- can the ability be cast/used(are you out of zeal/guile/focus/phrases/etc)? if yes: continue, if no:  skip to next Ability, if no more abilities listed, skip to next box

6:  range - is the target in range(non-factor for self target).  if yes:  cast ability, if no:  check engagement status.

If not engaged:  walk towards target(shortest path possible) until target is in range, cast ability. 

If engaged:  check engagement flag

if "allow disengage" checked:  walk towards target(shortest path possible, taking the disengagement hit) until target is in range, cast ability.

if not:  Skip to next Ability, if no more abilities listed, skip to next box***

The sequential nature is what screws up a lot of people, if you have a buff or attack listed above your heals, she'll never get around to casting a heal until she has no viable targets for her attacks(this is bad).  Second wind should be the first conditional for every AI behavior for any character that can use it (self: health below 50% - second wind on self, no target preference)

USE YOUR COOLDOWNS - they default to 0 and should almost never be left that way unless you're building very specific conditionals or you'll just burn through your resources in seconds on useless actions(casting mirror image 4 times in 10 seconds)

be careful with conals - its probably a bug, but a conal ability(originates from caster acts in a triangle) doesn't check distance, if the target is 20m away, but your cone only reaches 5m in front of you, the AI will still fire the ability hitting nothing and wasting resources. 

Generally speaking, and assuming not playing a beguiler-cipher or a rogue, most attacks shouldn't be set to AI until you reach a point where you have more resources than you really know what to do with.  AI attacks increase DPS(the computer is faster than you) but greatly hurt flexibility - The "Self: has at least # resource" conditional can help here.  Rogues and beguilers should keep some on AI to ensure sneak attacks stay active, but be very careful with rogues, guile doesn't regenerate.

All told the behavior editor is by far the most fleshed out one of those I've seen in quite some time, I'm actually very impressed.  but, you gotta be careful with it, using it poorly can easily lead to a party wipe as characters stop filling their role because you "told" them to do other things

*This is why the pre-made AI's suck, they mix too many abilities under one condition and in the wrong order meaning some higher level/stronger abilities won't be used just the weaker ones that are listed first

***This is checked repeatedly during the walk, if an enemy engages you mid-way and you aren't flagged for allow disengage, that can easily prevent a needed heal from going off since Xoti won't walk any farther(it would require her to break an engagement) but the target is still out of range, step 6 fails... skip to next box

Thanks; it's very helpful to know that heals should be the first script. So I assume purging negative buffs - at least for support - should be next?

Also, if you write a custom script, will the AI ever use abilities you didn't write in?

• 3 months later...