Enemies who do damage (casters, gunners, melee w/blink) never clump next to each other... you kill one of those enemies and your cleaving stance will hit 1 guy if you're lucky, 0 most of the time.

I you're the only one who gets presented to them in the first seconds of combat then they def. do. You should also run to the ranged enemies and then let the melees "clump" around you.

The one with Cleaving Stance doesn't even need to be the one the enemies gather around.  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's better the less people are in your party and the less melee characters there are in your party.

In some combats it does nothing. In some combats it does more damage than the rest of your attacks together. It's a very powerful ability.

This thread reminds me of the "chanters are underwhelming" thread.

To get the full potential of cleave stance you could pull the enemies to a chokepoint, that way you can get ranged/magic characters clustered together with melee.

This however is not necessary most times, I just run/charge up to a ranged target and the melees will follow.

(ofc this is slightly harder to pull off with a party than solo, since the enemies don't necessarily go after your fighter)

You need Wahai Poraga or whispers of the endless paths greatsword to use it's fully potential.

You neither need an AOE 2h for the AOE effect of cleave or for killing a single enemy (which triggers cleave).

And to get the full potential of the full attacks of cleave you need to dualwield, since you trigger two instant attacks on everyone around you that way.

Most times you kill another enemy (at least) with it, which starts the same cycle again.

Most times when cleaving stance triggers I just plain one shot everything around me, except higher hp targets like fampyrs. (though charge cleave stance odes quite a lot for those too. :))

Edited by Raven Darkholme

Don't forget the Harpoon / Pull Talents and Items, and positon swapping Talents... if they don't want to close with you, pull them to you.  There are enough skills / gear to do it that most fights you should be able to cluster everyone into one pile.

This thread reminds me of the "chanters are underwhelming" thread.

To get the full potential of cleave stance you could pull the enemies to a chokepoint, that way you can get ranged/magic characters clustered together with melee.

This however is not necessary most times, I just run/charge up to a ranged target and the melees will follow.

(ofc this is slightly harder to pull off with a party than solo, since the enemies don't necessarily go after your fighter)

You need Wahai Poraga or whispers of the endless paths greatsword to use it's fully potential.

You neither need an AOE 2h for the AOE effect of cleave or for killing a single enemy (which triggers cleave).

And to get the full potential of the full attacks of cleave you need to dualwield, since you trigger two instant attacks on everyone around you that way.

Most times you kill another enemy (at least) with it, which starts the same cycle again.

Most times when cleaving stance triggers I just plain one shot everything around me, except higher hp targets like fampyrs. (though charge cleave stance odes quite a lot for those too. :))

But with the AoE weapons it's so that their AoE also gets triggered by every cleaving attack - which is very impressive. You also can reach targets that way (with the AoE) that are too far away for a "normal" cleave.

One of the best things for HoF, Cleaving/Mob Stance, Blast, Hand mortars and all those smaller AoE thingies is Pull of Eora in my opinion. It works a lot more reliably and less "buggy" than in PoE (where it was pretty great already).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods