Thank you so much for making Aloth romance-able! <3

Two female - Xoti and Maia. All the LIs are available to both genders, though (and you are aware that "female audience" includes non-straight females?).

I'm not sure what you mean by goes "nowhere." It's a full romance, like all others but Serafen's.

So there are three male romancible characters and one female right? So I suppose this is generally for the female audience by that reasoning?

Xoti is kind of a strange one. She flirts with you incessantly, but it goes nowhere. 

Two males, two females, all four are available to everyone. So there is no audience that this cast doesn't satisfy, as well as no skewness towards someone.

Xoti is a full romance, and comparing to other options she actually has MORE dialogue.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Two female - Xoti and Maia. All the LIs are available to both genders, though (and you are aware that "female audience" includes non-straight females?).

I'm not sure what you mean by goes "nowhere." It's a full romance, like all others but Serafen's.

That's weird. Must be a bug in my game - I had a good rep with her, followed all the conversation threads, and it amounted to nothing more than aggressive flirting, no romance. 

I was merely making the observation, that IF there are three male romance options, and one female (which is how it appeared in my game), demographically/commercially that would make it seem like something tailored for female audiences - being that the majority of people are straight. I'm certainly aware that gay people exist, lol. 

Actually I thought my last post could use some clarity. I've played through twice with two different play styles. One I played pirate.

I romanced Miai. I explored all her dialogue options, and did her side quest. There wasa  clear start, middle, begining and ending. I felt like my character was in a relationship. The story arc had a conclusion. If asked, my character would have said they were dating, lovers or courting at various points. 

I did the same with Xoti on my other play through - the one where I earned level 20, did all the quests I could, explored all the map, and played benevolent and passionate. 

Did her quest, earned rep with her, explored all her dialogue options. Where it ended and still can be found, in my endgame saves, is "warm appreciation". Not something I'd call definate dating, or lovers, or even courting. more like a sort of "maybe state" where it seems like she might be crushing on me. I've had closer encounters with serafan, to romantic or sexual intimacy, as warm and appreciative as she is, it just never seems to "become" anything.

And this is what I mean by "it goes nowhere". Now maybe I've got a bug, or it's broken or many you need 5 reputation to get anywhere with this plot, but in my experience xoti is not a romancable character, she's a highly flirty character that never makes her intentions clear. Sort of if anything, a frustrating dialogue hole that doesn't feel conclusive. Feels like it never really ends. 

Drinks at the bar with Miai, feels like - cool, that ended somewhere, even if everyone sails off into the sunset. Xoti, nothing really, just a lot of oh you are special and thank you. 

• Like 1

Actually I thought my last post could use some clarity. I've played through twice with two different play styles. One I played pirate.

I romanced Miai. I explored all her dialogue options, and did her side quest. There wasa  clear start, middle, begining and ending. I felt like my character was in a relationship. The story arc had a conclusion. If asked, my character would have said they were dating, lovers or courting at various points. 

I did the same with Xoti on my other play through - the one where I earned level 20, did all the quests I could, explored all the map, and played benevolent and passionate. 

Did her quest, earned rep with her, explored all her dialogue options. Where it ended and still can be found, in my endgame saves, is "warm appreciation". Not something I'd call definate dating, or lovers, or even courting. more like a sort of "maybe state" where it seems like she might be crushing on me. I've had closer encounters with serafan, to romantic or sexual intimacy, as warm and appreciative as she is, it just never seems to "become" anything.

And this is what I mean by "it goes nowhere". Now maybe I've got a bug, or it's broken or many you need 5 reputation to get anywhere with this plot, but in my experience xoti is not a romancable character, she's a highly flirty character that never makes her intentions clear. Sort of if anything, a frustrating dialogue hole that doesn't feel conclusive. Feels like it never really ends. 

Drinks at the bar with Miai, feels like - cool, that ended somewhere, even if everyone sails off into the sunset. Xoti, nothing really, just a lot of oh you are special and thank you. 

I have no idea if you had a bug or not as I never romanced her, but maybe you missed a trigger. For Tekehu, you have to go to a specific place and initiate dialogue with him in order to finish the romance.

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

I have no idea if you had a bug or not as I never romanced her, but maybe you missed a trigger. For Tekehu, you have to go to a specific place and initiate dialogue with him in order to finish the romance.

I don't think there is a quest trigger, from what I've seen, but perhaps there's something in the dialogue that has to happen with other companions first (maybe you need eder or miai in the party IDK). It's definately not as easy to trigger as miai for me, and despite her flirtations with basically everyone that exists lol, her character makes her the most relatable/likeable female IMO. It's weird because she gets this point where everything she says seems …"fond", and then nothing.

I guess relationships aren't exactly the focus of the game, but was a slight disappointment for me. I might start another thread and ask what starts it for others.....

• Like 1

I don't think there is a quest trigger, from what I've seen, but perhaps there's something in the dialogue that has to happen with other companions first (maybe you need eder or miai in the party IDK). It's definately not as easy to trigger as miai for me, and despite her flirtations with basically everyone that exists lol, her character makes her the most relatable/likeable female IMO. It's weird because she gets this point where everything she says seems …"fond", and then nothing.

I guess relationships aren't exactly the focus of the game, but was a slight disappointment for me. I might start another thread and ask what starts it for others.....

If it makes you feel and better, I wasted my canon Watcher trying to romance Aloth and am closer to -1 than to +1 with hardly any of the game left, and in spite of warping his personality to please Aloth and reloading almost every time Mister Rolleye sighed through his nose, etc ;) So now my fav Watcher is still single, just like he was in POE1 and never even got to shag a prostitute  xD

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

If it makes you feel and better, I wasted my canon Watcher trying to romance Aloth and am closer to -1 than to +1 with hardly any of the game left, and in spite of warping his personality to please Aloth and reloading almost every time Mister Rolleye sighed through his nose, etc ;) So now my fav Watcher is still single, just like he was in POE1 and never even got to shag a prostitute  xD

lol, that is disappointing. Some of the npc's just huff about everything don't they? It's kind of realistic though, I mean aloth is sort of a pickle of a personality - introverted, judgemental. 

Miai is an easy romance.  Her and serafen together make great companions for an evil-lish watcher, lots of jokes and ribbing. I quite enjoyed that, but it's not my style of watcher. I'm so sentimental I can't help but want to play the good guy. 

You know who I miss? That crazy drug monk from white march. He was cool. He did all sorts of stupid things. I wouldn't want to romance him, but he was really amusing. 

• Like 2

lol, that is disappointing. Some of the npc's just huff about everything don't they? It's kind of realistic though, I mean aloth is sort of a pickle of a personality - introverted, judgemental. 

Miai is an easy romance.  Her and serafen together make great companions for an evil-lish watcher, lots of jokes and ribbing. I quite enjoyed that, but it's not my style of watcher. I'm so sentimental I can't help but want to play the good guy. 

You know who I miss? That crazy drug monk from white march. He was cool. He did all sorts of stupid things. I wouldn't want to romance him, but he was really amusing. 

Zahua was my favourite character from POE1, really loved the guy, but indeed not as a romance option. My watcher isn't evil at all. He even tries his utmost to avoid fights. The only "bad" thing he does is lie/trick/steal to do this where applicable.
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I think a lot of people who enjoy the game and content don't post here, but rather play and create their fan arts and fan fictions and share them with the world.

Speaking of which, if anyone has links to good Aloth fanart, do share them. :thumbsup:

You only have to go on tumblr and search for Aloth, there is plenty of stuff there. But beware, because you know... Tumblr is a cesspool of corruption

A quick Deviant Art search produces some really nice results too :)

Obsidian has already confirmed in a stream that Aloth is bugged. Though it may not fix your problem if you are playing a character contrary to his personality, a patch should make it easier to get Aloth to +2 or -2, both routes which result in romance.

At the moment it is difficult to push Aloth beyond +1/0/-1 because of conflicting dispositions.

I do hope they fix it. It's not only the conflicts that bug him out, but also because he keeps disapproving of completely random stuff, like what some npc says, or the fact you helped someone cos that means you are a show off (and the alternative is to walk off and leave them to it) and unless you don't see a lot of the disapproval, he seems to blame stuff companions say on the Watcher. As I mentioned above, I've reloaded every time he disapproved *of my Watcher* visibly in my current pt, except once, and he was stuck at 0 until I used the console. I have come across the other companions approving of some completely random stuff, but it's way less than Aloth (Tekehu approved when I chanted NEMNOK, for instance o.O ).

I also do not think my character is in some massive conflict with Aloth. He's super nice. Avoids killing whenever he can in some way, helps everyone, never says stuck up stuff, tries to avoid all those comments Aloth has a fit about cos tradition or whatever, so w/e. In fact, he's nicer than my last character by a lot and that one even got to +1 *shrug*

Characters who hit negative dispositions do not hate one another. Almost all of them that I have encountered resolved their conflicts amicably or developed a better understanding of one another because of the conflict between them. By the end of the game I was actually hoping characters would disapprove more often, because those conversations had a lot more character development.

Really? I haven't seen this at all.

nvAeseu.png

The game gave me a really nice nod today in terms of acknowledging the romance between my Watcher and Aloth.

I restarted the game after the first major patch where they 'fixed' Maia (to such an extend that I suspect she only gets very minor approval or disapproval points at any given time now, and so her bars barely move at all ;) ), so my Watcher had already started the romance with Aloth when Maia reached her +1 dialogue where she usually makes a move on the Watcher.

This time, though, she mentioned that she thought it was a bit of a shame that the Watcher was already taken and then moved on to a different topic. It was a short but sweet dialogue, and I wonder how many more of those are buried in the code that I might have missed?

Did you find similar comments during the game regarding the romances?

• Like 1

From what I can tell, when characters begin an argument it follows this pattern, so long as it is not broken:

- Characters have automatic lines that spark an argument.

- The argument results in a dialogue-box conversation. [Where typically the Watcher has some input on the fight.]

- More dialogue plays between the two characters.

- There is a dialogue-box resolution. [it is not always automatic, sometimes you need to talk to one of the pair and note that they "look like they have something to say."]

So for example: After some conversations, Tekehu places a small carved goddess charm in Pallegina's pack. Pallegina is outraged, and the two argue. After this fight Tekehu and Pallegina have a few more dialogue pieces. Then Tekehu crafts a small Vailian ship out of water, and presents it to Pallegina as a gift. Pallegina realizes that Tekehu is just trying to be friendly, and forgives him. She keeps the sculpture and there's no more dialogue between them. It is a very sweet scene.

I have not been able to get every companion combination to go through this arc, but at least half of the major arguments did. Some friendship paths also take the same pattern, such as Maia/Xoti. I did a lot of running back and forth between maps to trigger the automatic dialogue.

Tekehu will also comment on your current relationship if you have locked one in before he approaches you. I think his dialogue towards Aloth was something like, "Really, the academic?" He seemed surprised but not upset. Later on he talked to Aloth and said he was surprised Aloth did not run around telling everyone. Its very cute!

Edited by Mimia
  • Like 3

Yeah, Maia says it's a pity the PC and fishboy are chummy, or else...and trails away. Also, keep Gina and Maia in for Tekehu's Tales of Torrid Tumblings, they have some funny reactions. 

Also2, on the subject on conflicts and character development - Maia and Tekehu butted heads when he hit -2  with her. And then made up and hugged and it was kind of sweet.  :cat:

• Like 2

Yeah, Maia says it's a pity the PC and fishboy are chummy, or else...and trails away. Also, keep Gina and Maia in for Tekehu's Tales of Torrid Tumblings, they have some funny reactions. 

Also2, on the subject on conflicts and character development - Maia and Tekehu butted heads when he hit -2  with her. And then made up and hugged and it was kind of sweet.  :cat:

Did they stay @ -2?

nvAeseu.png

Tekehu hated Maia (well, perhaps not hated... -2) for a very long time on my playtrough, from us finishing her quest with him in the group and right till the end. But no arguments triggered. The only ones who did fight were Pallegina and Xoti, and that was due to a bug. Why is my game so broken  :getlost:

Although it would have been rather weird if Tekehu suddenly decided to forgive Maia for killing that one person in her quest. He was very, very mad at her after that. 

• Like 2

Tekehu hated Maia (well, perhaps not hated... -2) for a very long time on my playtrough, from us finishing her quest with him in the group and right till the end. But no arguments triggered. The only ones who did fight were Pallegina and Xoti, and that was due to a bug. Why is my game so broken  :getlost:

Although it would have been rather weird if Tekehu suddenly decided to forgive Maia for killing that one person in her quest. He was very, very mad at her after that. 

Same for me in both my playthroughs ;)

nvAeseu.png

I'll be testing out the negative approval romance once the next wave of patches come out, so I'll let you know. ;)

Poking around in the files, it looks like taking the romance option at -2 puts you in the same state as kissing him at +2 but deciding not to pursue the relationship. I think this state does result in the "he loves you" slide at the end, which is... interesting. One kiss and the elf is yours! ;)

Edited by Tarlonniel

Poking around in the files, it looks like taking the romance option at -2 puts you in the same state as kissing him at +2 but deciding not to pursue the relationship. I think this state does result in the "he loves you" slide at the end, which is... interesting. One kiss and the elf is yours! ;)

Sounds like a bug to be honest.

If he tells the Watcher they are like Iselmyr at -2 (or Thaos), then the Watcher would probably be the last person he'd want to be with. Or some very convoluted idea of romance which is... strange.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I really liked the way Aloth was written in Deadfire as well, especially as he gave me the -1 "You're being too traditional" speech rather soon after leaving Port Maje, then apologized for it when I reached +1, which was during his personal quest. Having him tell me how he "shouldn't have judged me that quickly, considering our shared history in the Dyrwood" or something like that really brought the feels, and having a companion actually remark on the fact that you changed his opinion of you isn't something I've seen often.

• Like 6

I'll be testing out the negative approval romance once the next wave of patches come out, so I'll let you know. ;)

I did notice his default reaction changed after the -2 smooch. Usual -2 reaction is something like "Aloth stares at you with utter loathing and says nothing", now it's back to neutral. 

Sounds like a bug to be honest.

If he tells the Watcher they are like Iselmyr at -2 (or Thaos), then the Watcher would probably be the last person he'd want to be with. Or some very convoluted idea of romance which is... strange.

That would be a seriously fked up relationship. Mind you, you can get to -2 with Aloth while playing a super nice person who's like neither of those 2.
  • Like 2

nvAeseu.png

Having him tell me how he "shouldn't have judged me that quickly, considering our shared history in the Dyrwood" or something like that really brought the feels, and having a companion actually remark on the fact that you changed his opinion of you isn't something I've seen often.

I liked that a lot, too, and it caught me by surprise. Him actually mentioning the whole 0 to -1 to +2 fluctuation as a real shift in his opinion about me made the relationship feel much more real (now, If I could only ignore the fact that I had to use the Dunnage conversation loop to even get him to +2...).

• Like 1

I liked that a lot, too, and it caught me by surprise. Him actually mentioning the whole 0 to -1 to +2 fluctuation as a real shift in his opinion about me made the relationship feel much more real (now, If I could only ignore the fact that I had to use the Dunnage conversation loop to even get him to +2...).

On my third pt attempting to get Aloth approval by legit means and I can report that it is possible without cheating, it's just ... boring/highly restrictive. My favourite character to play is a rogue that's an extremely nice person but covers it up with humour/deflection and uses lying/bluff get his way and to avoid conflict wherever possible, plus I really love that this is even possible. Playing someone like that I can get to max +1 at the end of the game with Aloth, and I still have to metagame (as in reload/avoid certain responses/kick him out of the party for x thing). I had to create this character that mostly picks the most "sensible" convo options. I'm not sure I like the concept of being judged mostly for what you say and not on what you do, not only in reference to Aloth. For instance, you can really upset Eder by robbing the Dawnstars at the beginning, and then he'll like you 10 min later for your jokes, and characters liking you just cos you crack jokes is as shallow as Aloth hating you for doing it xD
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png