How Fun Is it to be a Bleak Walker?

Hey guys, 

So, I'm finally starting a Bleak Walker/Fighter run (I've wanted to do something like this for a long time) and I was wondering how much mileage I'd be able to get out of it, story-wise? I know enough to know that I definitely want to side with the Principi (They seem to be the most chill faction, and Aeldys sounds like a bro. My Bleak Walker really appreciates her whole "Fort Deadlight's Dead Lights" thing). Now, I've played a lot of games where playing a cruel/aggressive route locks me out of a lot of stuff. I wanted to be sure that wasn't the case for this game - because honestly, that would really suck. 

I'm just hoping there's a way to be a jerk to people while also getting an enriching story experience. I remember being Dark Side in KotR2 and convincing two people that the quickest way to get from point A to point B was to jump off of a ledge to their deaths. I technically didn't lie. 

I'd also like to play a Bleak Walker. I already made one and left Port Maje, but I might ditch him because I don't think I really get what they are supposed to be like. They have cruel and aggressive locked as maxed out traits at the beginning but the Wiki states they are not sadistic and essentially scary mercenaries that you hire if you want a job to get done violently, so I'm not sure how to play one. Would they tell people who ask for help to bugger off? Would they have a sense of humour? What exactly is their "duty"? Would they kill everything in their path? Or would they help anyone who asks as long as they get paid and then pick the most violent route to complete it? What happens if your Bleak Walker doesn't act like they are supposed to? Like what if you play one that's nice/questions their order? I pestered myself so much with these thoughts, I concluded it might just be easier to pick a Barbarian as my "bad guy" xD

nvAeseu.png

I'd also like to play a Bleak Walker. I already made one and left Port Maje, but I might ditch him because I don't think I really get what they are supposed to be like. They have cruel and aggressive locked as maxed out traits at the beginning but the Wiki states they are not sadistic and essentially scary mercenaries that you hire if you want a job to get done violently, so I'm not sure how to play one. Would they tell people who ask for help to bugger off? Would they have a sense of humour? What exactly is their "duty"? Would they kill everything in their path? Or would they help anyone who asks as long as they get paid and then pick the most violent route to complete it? What happens if your Bleak Walker doesn't act like they are supposed to? Like what if you play one that's nice/questions their order? I pestered myself so much with these thoughts, I concluded it might just be easier to pick a Barbarian as my "bad guy" xD

The first game gives a little more context into their behavior. They're not 'necessarily' sadistic, the reason they solve everything violently is in order to spread their reputation - so that ideally, when their enemies learn that the Bleak Walkers have been deployed, they immediately surrender. 

• Like 2

I don't like playing "bad guys", but I played Bleak Walker in PoE 1. That someone is a Bleak Walker doesn't say anything about whether they are ultimately a good or an evil person. It is just the way they achieve their goals. 

From wiki:

"The Bleak Walkers' behavior reinforces cruelty because the quickest resolution to a battle is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people understand that no mercy will be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful and never give quarter under any circumstances."

You can roleplay an ultimately good person who believes that a brutal and swift resolution to conflicts is for the best overall. I tried to avoid being seen as merciful or kind but I also tried to avoid doing evil acts for the evil's sake. Overall I selected the cruel and aggressive lines in dialogs but not always. I had to think what will be the actual result of my choice. 

I think this is a good option for roleplaying because of the fundamental contradictions in such a character.

Playing an evil person is probably simpler.

• Like 2

I don't like playing "bad guys", but I played Bleak Walker in PoE 1. That someone is a Bleak Walker doesn't say anything about whether they are ultimately a good or an evil person. It is just the way they achieve their goals. 

From wiki:

"The Bleak Walkers' behavior reinforces cruelty because the quickest resolution to a battle is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people understand that no mercy will be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful and never give quarter under any circumstances."

You can roleplay an ultimately good person who believes that a brutal and swift resolution to conflicts is for the best overall. I tried to avoid being seen as merciful or kind but I also tried to avoid doing evil acts for the evil's sake. Overall I selected the cruel and aggressive lines in dialogs but not always. I had to think what will be the actual result of my choice. 

I think this is a good option for roleplaying because of the fundamental contradictions in such a character.

This exactly. I see Bleak Walkers as having the potential to be perfectly pleasant outside of most situations, it's just that when they decide to resolve situations they favor violence and directness. 

• Like 1

From wiki:

So would you say, pick the "threaten" option in dialogues hoping to avoid a fight? How do you avoid being benevolent while still helping people? Accept the task but complete it by using threats and violence and never let peopel go/forgive them? Would you try to avoid deaths in say Arkemyr's Manor, or would you walz in and kill everything because you were asked to solve this and now all must die? What is a good race to pick?

I've actually never played a pure good or pure evil character, I tend to go for shades of grey who either use shady methods to resolve things or have an agenda that causes them to do certain things that could be considered evil (like "everythng goes to fight the blight" Wardens in Dragon Age), I just don't feel I know enough about Bleak Walkers to pull it off. I'm pretty sure I tricked some into ditching their boss in the White March, which seems odd xD

nvAeseu.png

My first run was as a Bleak Walker/Berserker and I did not feel "locked out" of anything. I just used Intimidation instead of Diplomacy and it turned out fine most of the time.

How do the companions react to a character that uses intimidation ?

nvAeseu.png

My first run was as a Bleak Walker/Berserker and I did not feel "locked out" of anything. I just used Intimidation instead of Diplomacy and it turned out fine most of the time.

How do the companions react to a character that uses intimidation ?

They mostly don't.

• Like 1

So would you say, pick the "threaten" option in dialogues hoping to avoid a fight? How do you avoid being benevolent while still helping people? Accept the task but complete it by using threats and violence and never let peopel go/forgive them? Would you try to avoid deaths in say Arkemyr's Manor, or would you walz in and kill everything because you were asked to solve this and now all must die? What is a good race to pick?

I would try to avoid causing death and suffering, since I am not evil - unless I feel the need to protect my brutal and merciless image.

Helping people doesn't seem to be a problem. They can't be sure why I am helping them - maybe I have my own reasons. I'll accept payment instead of benevolently telling them to keep their money. I'll maybe even demand more. Some quests I'll maybe refuse.

I intend to play Bleak Walker in Deadfire, but I will wait until Obsidian fixes the dispositions. They are currently too easily maxed out. For now I'm having fun with my benevolent, honest, diplomatic and rational rogue.

I'm pretty sure I tricked some into ditching their boss in the White March, which seems odd xD

I think only the main guy was a bleak walker, the others were only his hirelings.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure I tricked some into ditching their boss in the White March, which seems odd xD

I think only the main guy was a bleak walker, the others were only his hirelings.

I considered that but checked on the Wiki and some of the others do appear to be Bleak Walkers. Maybe they just thought the boss was an idiot.

nvAeseu.png

I considered that but checked on the Wiki and some of the others do appear to be Bleak Walkers. Maybe they just thought the boss was an idiot.

It's the other way around - it's the boss who overstepped his bounds as a Bleak Walker, which is why the other two leave him.

You can make them realize that he's using his position to excuse his pointless sadism (which is not what being BW is about), and his more professional bodyguards leave him immediately.

• Like 4

It's the other way around - it's the boss who overstepped his bounds as a Bleak Walker, which is why the other two leave him.

You can make them realize that he's using his position to excuse his pointless sadism (which is not what being BW is about), and his more professional bodyguards leave him immediately.

Then you can hire one of them to guard Caed Nua  :w00t:

If i recall correctly 

• Like 1

How do you avoid being benevolent while still helping people?

I don't think being a Bleak Walker precludes benevolence. From where I'm standing, it's mostly about the way they operate: Ruthlessness, determination, absolutely zero mercy - but it could be done in the name of the greater good. Say, you are a Bleak Walker, you think the Huana have the right to the Harapo Epic, you slaughter your way into the Manor in broad daylight to get it. Apart from being in keeping with your code, it also sends a message that a Bleak Walker takes no crap from anyone while on a contract, including a damned archmage. On top of that, you're doing something good.

Edited by Tagaziel
  • Like 4