In PoE1 I understood that monks got wounds from taking damage and ciphers got focus by doing damage. But now that all classes have their own unique resources, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how they all work. Does each one have its own unique mechanic? I'm refering to zeal, guile, rage, mortificarion, etc. How is each one gained?

Druids, priest, and wizards get a set number of spells per spell level each encounter.

Ciphers and chanters are pretty much unchanged from the first game.

Paladins, Fighters, Rangers, Rogues and Barbarians get a resource at the start of every encounter which they can use for abilities. They each have their own name (zeal, discipline, bond, guile, rage), but they function the same. It's pretty close to the druid, priest and wizard system, except your resources aren't split up by ability level.

Monks still have the wounds system from the first game to use on abilities. But they also have a second resource called mortifications that they can use on other abilities. Abilities which use mortifications are typically stronger since they don't regenerate during combat normally.

edit: I'm sure I'm missing something, but the best way to get accurate information is to post something wrong so a dozen people who would otherwise ignore your post can correct you.

Edited by Abbzug

Thanks for the reply. So most of the resources are a set number per encounter that can't be renewed? It seems like that makes renewable resources like wounds super strong im comparison.

Yeah, Monks are terrific in Deadfire.  Make no mistake.  However, most of the classes with a set number of resource points are powerful too. 

Barb, Fighter, and pally are all great.  They are all top tier for sure. 

Rangers seem ok, but I don't dig pet classes so haven't really messed with them enough to say. 

Rogues hit like a truck with the right build, but are not cost effective with their resource.  However, they get passives later that help with that.  EG Persistent Distraction/Deathblows combo.

Wizards, Druids, and Priests start out with a little less than the marshal classes, but by end game have 2 casts of each level of spell (there are 9).  They have more casts than they usually will use in a fight. 

How a class's resource works has a minimal effect on whether they are top tier or not.  Most classes, if not all, are stupidly powerful by end game. 

Essentially, Deadfire got rid of most per-encounter, per-rest abilities. Those were replaced by class resource, with each ability costing certain amount of resource. That way you have more flexibility in choosing what you will be needing in that fight. In addition to those abilities monk has also the wound system, just like in PoE. I think monk is the only one using both such resources at once.