The highest door i found was 18.

Really? What about locked chests?

Does this mean you have to put every point you can in Mechanics?

Not at all. Your party contributes too. Also Lockpicks, and other items.

Edited by Cutlass Jack

I prefer to get character to 12 mechanics, and the remainder in athletics for the self-heal, then another character gets 7 mechanics for the +4 party assist bonus. That'll sort out everything. From what I've seen, nothing requires more than 18 and you can use lockpicks for those when you're at 16. If you're stingy, you can stay at 10 on the main mechanics guy and rely on Thief's Putty for the 18 locks. You can even stay at 8 with the +2 mechanics gloves. In short, 18 is as much as you should ever need, and 7 mechanics will give +4 party assist so the main mechanics guy needs 12 without bonuses. I prefer to ignore the gloves and putty and just raise the skill to 12 on one char and 7 on another.

Edited by Arnegar

I fear not. All five party members at skill level two gives everybody an effective level of 6. The bonus from your party totals all of their skills and calculates the bonus based on that total. Four other characters each with mechanics of 2 gives a total of 8, for a bonus of 4. Combined with the skill of 2 on the character employing the skill, that's 6.

Wish I could remember where I found this. But here's the conversion of Total Party Skill Points to how much of an Assist they give.

Skill Points (1): +1 Assist

Skill Points (2): +2 Assist

Skill Points (4): +3 Assist

Skill Points (7): +4 Assist

Skill Points (11): +5 Assist

Skill Points (16): +6 Assist

Skill Points (22): +7 Assist

Skill Points (29): +8 Assist

Party Assist excludes the person using the skill.

So everyone with a +2 Mechanics would be Skill Points 8 (which is higher than 7 but lower than 11) for a total Assist bonus of +4

Edited by KentDA
  • Like 5

Oh, maximum skill needed. Pulled from the global.gamedatabundle file.

Disarm Traps: Mechanics 12

Detect Traps: Perception 19

Seen 15 trap. It's in that dungeon with pretty much nothing but traps and a few sigils or whatever the pulsing ****s are called. Where you risk being drowned in sand if you grab the hammer.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Oh, maximum skill needed. Pulled from the global.gamedatabundle file.

Disarm Traps: Mechanics 12

Detect Traps: Perception 19

Seen 15 trap. It's in that dungeon with pretty much nothing but traps and a few sigils or whatever the pulsing ****s are called. Where you risk being drowned in sand if you grab the hammer.

There's a path through the traps of easier to disarm traps. 

Admittedly, but this was about the hardest mechanics check on a trap in the game, not about what you can do to avoid it :)

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I stand corrected. I was looking through the global file and when I saw this thread I remembered seeing those numbers so I went and double checked. Perhaps difficulty modifies the base numbers for traps? Don't know what to tell you there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Sandswept Ruins and those effing high level traps:

There is a Hidden Object in the Sandswept Ruins that will disarm every last trap in the Sandswept Ruins, including the flames surrounding the altar AND the death trap in  the room.

To find it one must first get into the initially inaccessible chamber right next to the entrance (it's the one that has four Sigils of Death in it).  That chamber is accessed by flipping a switch next to the chest past the traps in the first hallway (which are all diff 6):

wgBYn4T.png

The catch?  Just need a Perception of 20 to find the hidden switch once one gets to that chamber.  :thumbsup: :

sHu554t.png

Still, this is the path for people doing a Solo run to be able get the stuff off of that altar, since they can't get past the flames otherwise (they won't be able to simultaneously flip the four switches needed to get rid of the flames surrounding the altar the 'normal' way).

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 3

Even solo you can get away with mechanics 2 base.

With boni from beraths blessing, resting, whore, gloves this will actually end up at Mechanics 12 which is more than enough to get you through the game (can even get 14 with thief's putty).

Yes there will be a door with mechanics 18, but this door opens with the help of an item found on a dead enemy.

On my first pt I got mechanics to 11, after that I never got it further than 2.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1