Players just talk about how OP one or two weapon is here, but it's more fair to just compare plain unenchanted weapons. In that case 2h weapons are inferior to dual wielding for sure.

It's more relevant to compare the weapons people actually use.

• Like 1

Players just talk about how OP one or two weapon is here, but it's more fair to just compare plain unenchanted weapons. In that case 2h weapons are inferior to dual wielding for sure.

Nah, if base on your logic, it will just result in most of 2h weapon underwhelming while only one or two is ok.

Nah, if base on your logic, it will just result in most of 2h weapon underwhelming while only one or two is ok.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus on the current state of affairs.

Who said 2h weapons has better penetration? Actually 2h sword has the worst penetration in this game because 1. lowest pen due to double type, 2. no +pen modal.

As base items. 

Sorry i don't get what u mean.

If you mouse over the pen on your character sheet with a 2hander equipped, there is a flat +1 bonus due to using a 2hand weapon.

there is a hat that makes 2h godly.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

One thing that might make 2H more interesting (and should affect all weapon types) could be having a Might related modifier that reduced recovery speed with most weapons.  A very strong character should be able to wield a 2H sword more easily than a very weak character could wield a 1H sword.    That said, it would need to be balance carefully.  And IMO, it shouldn't affect firearms, but should affect bows/xbows (because stronger characters can handle those things with greater ease than a weaker character could).

I would personally like to see quarter staffs changed so that they were quick 2H weapons, rather than reach weapons.

Edit: I added in the "with most weapons" caveat to the first sentence.  Also, Might shouldn't reduce recovery time for fists. 

Edited by Crucis
  • Like 1

There are a few abilities that are primary attack instead of full attack.  If you heavily rely on those, you might be better off with a two-hander.  Backstab with rogue is best with a two-hander since you only get one hit, so the faster recovery of one-handers don't help there and you have limited resource for future backstabs.

I do miss DR;  Now it is just whichever one you find that has the enchantment that works best with your build, or is the most OP.  That makes a much bigger difference than the base weapon stats.  A couple damage or penetration is no match to things like enchantments that reduce your recovery by 75%.

Edited by Braven

One thing that might make 2H more interesting (and should affect all weapon types) could be having a Might related modifier that reduced recovery speed.  A very strong character should be able to wield a 2H sword more easily than a very weak character could wield a 1H sword.    That said, it would need to be balance carefully.  And IMO, it shouldn't affect firearms, but should affect bows/xbows (because stronger characters can handle those things with greater ease than a weaker character could).

I would personally like to see quarter staffs changed so that they were quick 2H weapons, rather than reach weapons.

Might is deliberately not strength though, which is why it can apply to spells. If you want to have a faster swinging 2h character then increase your dex.

The stated idea behind the stat system is to make stats a choice of how players want their character to handle rather than something that just has to match up to their class/weapon.

Edited by Effusion

They are almost the same for unenchanted and without using abilities.

One thing that might make 2H more interesting (and should affect all weapon types) could be having a Might related modifier that reduced recovery speed.  A very strong character should be able to wield a 2H sword more easily than a very weak character could wield a 1H sword.    That said, it would need to be balance carefully.  And IMO, it shouldn't affect firearms, but should affect bows/xbows (because stronger characters can handle those things with greater ease than a weaker character could).

Might is deliberately not strength though, which is why it can apply to spells. If you want to have a faster swinging 2h character then increase your dex.

The stated idea behind the stat system is to make stats a choice of how players want their character to handle rather than something that just has to match up to their class/weapon.

The thing is to me, I don't care how dexterous you are, all the DEX in the work is going to make a weakling able to handle a heavy weapon more quickly.  That's what strength is for.  I don't care how dexterous you are, if you're a weakling, it's going to be more difficult to pull a bowstring or reset a crossbow's string than if you're strong.  Agility will only take you so far.  And sometimes what you need to do things more quickly is NOT dexterity, but actual strength.

Two-handed melee weapons are kind of underpowered. Whispers of the Endless Paths is pretty strong but that's about it. The reason to use two-handers is if you already have a dual-wielder in the party and they're getting the best two weapons, so the next guy in line has to choose between the best two-hander or the third and fourth best one-handers. That's about it. It means 2h can be worth using, but only by association. And if the dual-wielder is a Devoted who has to stick to a single weapon class, odds are that the two-hander only pays off if there are two dual-wielders ahead of him. If you only have two melee attackers in the party and one is a Devoted, the second guy is better off dual-wielding as well with another weapon class.

Edited by Arnegar

Whispers of the Endless Paths is the cheesiest weapon to use for a soulblade, because it applies Soul Annihilation to every single target in the AOE cone, but also gives focus backs from all the attacks after the first. 
post-87640-0-73284500-1527009902_thumb.jpg

The thing is to me, I don't care how dexterous you are, all the DEX in the work is going to make a weakling able to handle a heavy weapon more quickly.  That's what strength is for.  I don't care how dexterous you are, if you're a weakling, it's going to be more difficult to pull a bowstring or reset a crossbow's string than if you're strong.  Agility will only take you so far.  And sometimes what you need to do things more quickly is NOT dexterity, but actual strength.

You're thinking in terms of dnd stats, not poe stats. Might is not the same thing as strength. Muscles don't make a lightning bolt spell hit harder.

You're thinking in terms of dnd stats, not poe stats. Might is not the same thing as strength. Muscles don't make a lightning bolt spell hit harder.

Might is used for both mental and physical strength. So it's also muscles, I mean you use a might check whenever you try to lift a carriage or try to push in a part of a weakened wall. 

Whatever.  I don't like how PoE handles Might regardless.  IMO, the Might shouldn't be the stat that governs the power behind spells anyways.  It ought to be one of the "mind" related stats, either Intelligence or Resolve.  Merging physical strength with arcane power to me is a total cluster(bleep).

Who said 2h weapons has better penetration? Actually 2h sword has the worst penetration in this game because 1. lowest pen due to double type, 2. no +pen modal.

As base items. 

Sorry i don't get what u mean.

If you mouse over the pen on your character sheet with a 2hander equipped, there is a flat +1 bonus due to using a 2hand weapon.

No you are wrong, that +1 pen is from Whisper, not from 2h weapons.