Build Name: 

Death Knight of Wael
Subclass(es):

Bleakwalker/Priest of Wael

Short Description:
High defense single-target damage dealer.
Author: BalkothTheFeared
Game version: 1.02
Difficulty: POTD
Solo: Untested

I thought Inquisitor was going to be first character, but after 20 hours and hating it, I decided to try out the Templar. Which ended up being a way more fun experience. High damage output + High survivablity means that he can just keep putting out damage, while healing himself and giving deflection bonuses. 

The Wael priest will give spells that up your deflection, and almost every power level you get a better one! Add this to the healing that you receive. The bonus penetration that a priest can get for both Fire and Corrode damage, you are pretty much set. You get some mind-bending abilities too. And even the AOe paralyze at the end. You're made to hit hard however, not cast spells. But they're available!

Race: Island Aumaua
Origin: Deadfire Archipelago
Background: Mercenary
My stat spead:
bjiDKcX.jpg

Skill Recommendations:

A quick demonstration of the build at around level 16 or so. Nothing fancy here, but as you can see, it can take a few hits and keep hitting back hard.

So how do we boost the power-level of all those illusionary skills? How do I terrify my foes and make them temble before me?

Thankfully, there's a mask for that:
zp2rXX2.jpg

It gives +2 power rating to Illusionary skills. An active Terrify ability. And then it terrifies your foes when you get low on health! This thing is why it's so hard for me to play a Godlike.

Armor:

While there are plenty of nice armors, such as the Devil of Caroc's armor. I prefer to keep the theme, and once you reach the late-game you get this bad-boy. While you are taking hits, you are healing your allies and dealing periodic RAW damage to enemies.

hWHUoTU.jpg

Notable early game weapons:

Cy8dveC.jpg

You know her, you love her. She gives so much extra burn damage and that immunity to Intellect afflictions. Oh boy she's pretty great.

---
SDF71h4.jpg

The Whispers of Yenwood, once enchanted, is an excellent secondary. Spirit-slaying aside, the Reliable trait makes this a sword worth off-handing at least.
---
Late® game weapons you get both of these by exploring a mountain on the top of the map. They're interesting enough to show off:
lX3NLuY.jpg

More burn damage? Launching fireballs on a kill? Yes please!

---
k4y9mkc.jpg

I don't know how to feel about this one to be honest. It seems almost made for a Paladin, given that it gives +3 power levels on all Fire tagged abilities. Combine this with the flail and you'll be causing so many firey AOE bursts while busting out your own fire-y blades.

oB3OUPi.jpg
Edited by BalkothTheFeared
  • Like 2

Want to play a dragon in Deadfire?

Try my subclass mod here!
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/76

I like this. It's not abusing pally immortality. It's not abusing swift flurry or cleave, it's simply a cool build that will work even after the patches! Good stuff and nice to see a priest build.

Right, was looking for a build that gives me a bit of a challenge in potd without being total useless and without being super OP either, I think I found my build for my first playthrough.

The Eye of Wael (Wand) has +3 Illusion Power levels, and a lot of interesting Enchants.

As I understand the Power Level system, Illusion Power Level is not particularly important for a Waelite.  Non-damaging/healing/bouncing spells benefit only in duration (5%/PL) and, if applicable, minimally in Accuracy (+1/PL). 

The PL 1-2 bonus spells aren't illusions (also true of PL8-9), and Mirrored Images and L's Displaced Image (the PL3&4 bonus spells, respectively) would benefit only in duration. 

Confusion (PL5) would get small ACC and Duration bonuses, as would Gaze of the Adragan (PL7).  Ark's Wondrous Torment (PL6) would, too, and might also get extra bounces out of a higher PL (I think it should, but haven't tested).  If so, that would probably be the only spell where a higher Illusion PL is noticeable to all but the most numbers-focused players. 

Edited by Enoch

The Eye of Wael (Wand) has +3 Illusion Power levels, and a lot of interesting Enchants.

As I understand the Power Level system, Illusion Power Level is not particularly important for a Waelite.  Non-damaging/healing/bouncing spells benefit only in duration (5%/PL) and, if applicable, minimally in Accuracy (+1/PL). 

The PL 1-2 bonus spells aren't illusions (also true of PL8-9), and Mirrored Images and L's Displaced Image (the PL3&4 bonus spells, respectively) would benefit only in duration. 

Confusion (PL5) would get small ACC and Duration bonuses, as would Gaze of the Adragan (PL7).  Ark's Wondrous Torment (PL6) would, too, and might also get extra bounces out of a higher PL (I think it should, but haven't tested).  If so, that would probably be the only spell where a higher Illusion PL is noticeable to all but the most numbers-focused players. 

You are correct :)

Are you doing that via a scroll? The Priest of Wael doesn't get that spell as far as I am aware.

Nah it's i just rolled a paladin/wizard, I just wonder that poison will add some dark theme to your build. The point i wanna show is that +320% Powerlevel btw.

Are you doing that via a scroll? The Priest of Wael doesn't get that spell as far as I am aware.

Nah it's i just rolled a paladin/wizard, I just wonder that poison will add some dark theme to your build. The point i wanna show is that +320% Powerlevel btw.

how is it that high? how much % per PL does that spell get?

The secret is alchemy ;)

• Like 1

I want to try out your build as a human with "17 | 13 | 10 | 14 | 14 | 10", this should be working too right? The Race shouldnt make such a big impact?

Greetings

Scaran

Edited by Scaran

I want to try out your build as a human with "17 | 13 | 10 | 14 | 14 | 10", this should be working too right? The Race shouldnt make such a big impact?

Greetings

Scaran

Yeah, the only thing my race gives me is the ability to walk through muck, which isn't really a big issue in this game to make it worthwhile. The Race/Origin choice is mainly for looks/conversational dialogue.

Want to play a dragon in Deadfire?

Try my subclass mod here!
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/76

Made a char to try this build out, and not only is it really powerful even early on (4 separate sources of healing on a single char at level 1 is insane), it is also very RP-friendly, since the character is well defined by its favoured (Aggressive, Cruel, Clever, Shady) and disfavoured (Diplomatic, Benevolent, Rational or Honest) dispositions.

So not only does playing a bloodthirsty maniac fit, it's a requirement.

Well done OP, well done.

Edited by Musahaladin

Added the build to the build list. Did overlook it at first but now found it when I was searching the forum for class builds. Thank you for providing stuff like description and solo/difficulty infos right from the start. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 3 months later...

this is a very great build, I'm testing myself with a Margran's templar, it is doing good right now and is quite of a killer but I have to use light clothes because heavy armor reduces the DPS hugely and I'm using dual swords (whispers of yenwood, modwyr and watcher's sword) and not daggers or hatchets.. There is a legendary light armor that actually gives you 11 armor rating and also a 3rd weapon slot so I think that I'll keep that one,

The secret is alchemy ;)

Also silk robe and mask of grotto deep i suppose... Well done anyway 320% multiplier is a nice sight !