I'm after build help for a Geralt themed main player character.

Race: Human (lore) or Pale Elf (for aesthetics/resistances)

Class: Fighter/Wizard? or some other combo of martial and spell caster?

Abilities: Really not sure...probably more DPS/offensive focused than tanking. This is the main area I need help with

Skills: Not sure. Probably Diplomacy or Intimidate, Alchemy (lore), Insight? or some magical themed skills

Weapons: Will be using Sword, Estoc, Greatsword

Armour: Light or Medium (lore)

and that's about as far as I've got...appreciate any advice on this build :)

I'd probably do Devoted/Soulblade for a good mix of tanky frontline DPS and magical combat tricks. Most of Geralt's magical abilities are fast tricks and "mini" spells and such after all, rather than full blown spellcasting. And it feels right to have a witcher's swordplay directly empower his magic, like Ciphers do by gaining Focus with weapons. Would probably look into the Devil of Caroc breastplate medium armor from Neketaka as well (PoE 1 history has to be set a certain way).

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Nalpazca Wizard with high Alchemy and... Insight?

And don’t forget to take Yrden in your party.

What is the reasoning behind Nalpazca Monk?

Is it because of the drug use being similar to potions/decoctions?

Yeah, it seems like the most ‘prepare by consumables’ class, plus Warrior Monk is a reasonable description of Witchers. Geralt is also very accomplished using his fists.

The spellcasting half is the trickier half I think, as the equivalents of the Witcher Signs are sort of spread out over the Deadfire casters. I think Wizard edges it for Arcane Veil and Fan of Flames.

Enchanter disables Trickster's bonus spells. 

What? Why?

My suggestion is Rogue for Riposte and Wizard for the Signs. Invest into alchemy, explosives and great swords.

Human, of course. Why would you hesitate?

Edited by Sotnik

You could go helwalker + paladin if Geralt can skip the drug stuff of Nalpazca. Use sword and some magic. Even a helwalker plus priest (Wael for the quen at first level if I remember corectly) could be acceptable playstyle wize.

Isn't Geralt mostly a warrior who self-buffs by way of tonics/potions/etc, and uses a variety of weapons suitable to the opponent he's fighting? That doesn't sound like wizard or another full caster would really represent him well.

Fighter or Fighter/Rogue seems like a good fit, or maybe Fighter/Cipher if you want to play up the supernatural abilities. As for subclasses, Black Jacket might be appropriate, given the emphasis on weapon-switching, but it also kind of sucks so maybe not >_>. Fighter/Trickster would be another way to emphasize the magical elements while keeping him primarily a warrior. Fighter/Nalpazca or Rogue/Nalpazca could of course represent the potions and stuff, but it doesn't feel quite right.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm gonna give my opinion based solely on lore and roleplaying and not what is best mechanics-wise, and suggest that Pale Elf is the better option race-wise and not just for the appearance. Geralt is a human, but he has been mutated which includes a longer lifespan, similar to that of Elves in Eora. He is also somewhat of an outsider in his world, while Pale Elves are an outsider and oddity race that is rarely seen in the greater world (supposedly).

While you could tell yourself that a human may have extended his lifespan and done stuff to himself, it won't be shown in the game, and I always find it is better when trying to recreate a character in another game to adapt the character to the setting and game system and not warp the setting and game mechanics to the character. Just my two pennies-worth.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Some great suggestions here!

I think I'll steer towards being lore friendly over optimised for gameplay. So might end up slightly gimping in some cases.

I think fighter will be a given. Just need to determine the focus of the other class. The rogue special attacks remind me a lot of the light attack tree in Witcher 3.

For spell use, I'll only use those that are like aard, quen, igni, yerden, axii.

Witcher Signs are simple cantrips and given by the mutations they undertake. It'd be nice to be a swordsman and alchemy drugger and minor magician in one, but you can't have all three. In the books, Geralt was first and foremost a swordsman, he used a fair bit of alchemy, and signs sparingly. Witchers also pretty much only use swords if possible.

So Devoted with swords multiclassed with Nalpazca, I suppose. 2h swords actually, and light/medium armor. Take the reflex save perk as well, gotta block those arrows with your sword, amiright?

Witcher Signs are simple cantrips and given by the mutations they undertake. It'd be nice to be a swordsman and alchemy drugger and minor magician in one, but you can't have all three. In the books, Geralt was first and foremost a swordsman, he used a fair bit of alchemy, and signs sparingly. Witchers also pretty much only use swords if possible.

So Devoted with swords multiclassed with Nalpazca, I suppose. 2h swords actually, and light/medium armor. Take the reflex save perk as well, gotta block those arrows with your sword, amiright?

Pretty much this ^ I think the swords were generally lighter and would be the equivalent of one handed swords in deadfire. I like that Nalpazca forces the alchemy use (and also makes it stronger). Maybe scrolls or items with spell like abilities to round him out.