[Class Build] BURN BABY BURN! Votary (Paladin/Monk) HERETICS BURNING FLAMING BUILD! Not easy to play!

Rogues are probably best second class for any melee single target dps. They have extremely high passive damage with an easy to fullfil requirements, mobility is good, and upgraded finishing blow is so much fun. Fighter would give you more survivability, but his passives comes in a bit later, though I have seen lots of good cheese with cleave stance.

Yup; and still can't beat 230 Devastating Blow damage with sub-optimal gear ;)

So how do Votaries compare to Holy Slayers in terms of DPS? Comparable, better, or worse?

And can non-Helwalker versions do reasonable DPS? Given how I am anal about not dying - or coming close to dying - I don't think I'd enjoy Helwalker.

In my experience, going Helwalker makes a big difference, DPS-wise (might bonuses form a substantial part of your damage input, since you don't have a lot of other passive damage boosts).

Holy Slayers are pretty great, and if you go Streetfighter you can get very impressive single-target DPS. But you have to set things up to allow yourself to be flanked and/or Bloodied a lot of the time, so probably not the best bet given the style of play you're describing... : P

EDIT: Though I should note that the main Streetfighter boosts only require flanked or bloodied. So as long as you make sure you're flanked most of the time (say, by using Escape to teleport into the middle of crowds of enemies) you can get most of the benefits of being a Streetfighter. (Also pretty easy to get flanked if you're doing a solo run, but not sure if that's what you're thinking about!)

Crap: Just did some testing at level 20, and damage per swing is really low even with Helwalker. I guess the increased attack speed increase the true DPS quite a bit but I don't think it's enough to compare to a Holy Slayer. But then you get those incredibly long stuns. I am really conflicted now.

What other Paladin multi-classes can do huge DPS other than Holy Slayer? I want two Paladin multi-classes at the front, but I don't want both to be Holy Slayers ;)

You know you and I are both testing the same thing.
Great minds think alike? ;)

It's just that I want high DPS while still 1) having high survivability and 2) low micro-management requirement.

In this context, Paladin multi-classes are the best.

Agreed. His is actually my plan as well. I tested berserker/Goldpact this morning.

How did Paladin/Barbarian go? Was this DPS comparable to Paladin/Rogue?

I was fairly disappointed with the dps. I was however trying out pistols, so I suspect that’s the problem.

• Like 1

So how do Votaries compare to Holy Slayers in terms of DPS? Comparable, better, or worse?

And can non-Helwalker versions do reasonable DPS? Given how I am anal about not dying - or coming close to dying - I don't think I'd enjoy Helwalker.

In my experience, going Helwalker makes a big difference, DPS-wise (might bonuses form a substantial part of your damage input, since you don't have a lot of other passive damage boosts).

Holy Slayers are pretty great, and if you go Streetfighter you can get very impressive single-target DPS. But you have to set things up to allow yourself to be flanked and/or Bloodied a lot of the time, so probably not the best bet given the style of play you're describing... : P

EDIT: Though I should note that the main Streetfighter boosts only require flanked or bloodied. So as long as you make sure you're flanked most of the time (say, by using Escape to teleport into the middle of crowds of enemies) you can get most of the benefits of being a Streetfighter. (Also pretty easy to get flanked if you're doing a solo run, but not sure if that's what you're thinking about!)

Crap: Just did some testing at level 20, and damage per swing is really low even with Helwalker. I guess the increased attack speed increase the true DPS quite a bit but I don't think it's enough to compare to a Holy Slayer. But then you get those incredibly long stuns. I am really conflicted now.

What other Paladin multi-classes can do huge DPS other than Holy Slayer? I want two Paladin multi-classes at the front, but I don't want both to be Holy Slayers ;)

You know you and I are both testing the same thing.
Great minds think alike? ;)

It's just that I want high DPS while still 1) having high survivability and 2) low micro-management requirement.

In this context, Paladin multi-classes are the best.

Agreed. His is actually my plan as well. I tested berserker/Goldpact this morning.

How did Paladin/Barbarian go? Was this DPS comparable to Paladin/Rogue?

I was fairly disappointed with the dps. I was however trying out pistols, so I suspect that’s the problem.

Ah, yes, of course ;)

Paladin soul blade however... might be worth looking into.

Cipher seems to be a difficult class to learn - at least for me! ;)

In another topic, I am being a bit re-converted to Fighter: Charge is so good - especially in combination with Glacierbane and Last Word. I did not believe when someone claimed that he pulled it off, but I was able to essentially lock down any high level casters with the combination of the initial Charge stun and Glacierbane buff removal and Last Word silence - including stuff like Concelhaut and Ancient Fampyrs. It's kind of hilarious, as they couldn't do anything. Just get stunned and locked down permanently until they die. I assume Monks using the same weapon set could do the same in combination with either Stunning Surge or that AoE stun kick.

So I think I will use either Crusader or Votary as the running mate to my Holy Slayer. Of course, I will also use the warhammer set up on him, too - less DPS but the Glacierbane/Last Word combo is lethal if you have high crit rate.

• Like 2

Paladin soul blade however... might be worth looking into.

Cipher seems to be a difficult class to learn - at least for me! ;)

In another topic, I am being a bit re-converted to Fighter: Charge is so good - especially in combination with Glacierbane and Last Word. I did not believe when someone claimed that he pulled it off, but I was able to essentially lock down any high level casters with the combination of the initial Charge stun and Glacierbane buff removal and Last Word silence - including stuff like Concelhaut and Ancient Fampyrs. It's kind of hilarious, as they couldn't do anything. Just get stunned and locked down permanently until they die. I assume Monks using the same weapon set could do the same in combination with either Stunning Surge or that AoE stun kick.

So I think I will use either Crusader or Votary as the running mate to my Holy Slayer. Of course, I will also use the warhammer set up on him, too - less DPS but the Glacierbane/Last Word combo is lethal if you have high crit rate.

Hmm, I am experimenting with Shadow Step, and it seems to be able to do the same thing that Charge does - roughly. Of course, it's two level up points investment (upgrade of Escape), and it costs a whopping 3 Guile. Difficult choices indeed!

• 4 weeks later...

wow it seems obsidian really nerf everything to boredom?

Yup, that is why I don't patch their games. If I want to not be OP in RPG I simply chose not to be. Nerfing all good, fun combos is imo worst you can do in singleplayer RPG where there is no PvP and no co-op even. I had my share of fun :)

• Like 1

wow it seems obsidian really nerf everything to boredom?

Yup, that is why I don't patch their games. If I want to not be OP in RPG I simply chose not to be. Nerfing all good, fun combos is imo worst you can do in singleplayer RPG where there is no PvP and no co-op even. I had my share of fun :)

I'm not looking for OPness in early game. I'm looking for decently powerful builds that are fun to play at mid-late game. Obsidian has done some work in increasing the difficulty but in the same time, they've chose the easy path by nerfing and making gameplay boring. They think by handicapping players means difficulty. That's really shallow thinking in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Is this build still considered to be good or it was nerfed to the ground? 

With the severe weapon nerfs, I think the "burn" part doesn't trigger reliably enough to build a character around. 

The paladin/monk combo in general is still very good though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to search in this topic, but couldn't find it. So I'll ask here. I was wondering if the firedamage for this build is save for my companions? Is it a party save build?

EDIT: PS is there replacement for the Devil of Caroc breastplate? I dont have it in my game :(

Edited by DeeKayNL

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Ominos said:

does this build still work? even with the change to the Paladin Shieldbrearer of St.Elcga on steam version.
TKS ^^

Shieldbearer isn't required anymore for this build, you can pick any paladin subclass... To avoid the extreme self damage from Sacred Immolation you need Voidward, Ring of the Solitary Wanderer, high resolve and use Clarity of Agony to reduce the number of raw dmg tics to 2-3.

• 8 months later...