[Class Build] BURN BABY BURN! Votary (Paladin/Monk) HERETICS BURNING FLAMING BUILD! Not easy to play!

Is this build still good with 1.1?

Yes, though not as strong due to Sun and Moon nerf and turning wheel nerf from 50% burn dmg to 25% at 10 wounds. But it should still be strong and viable, just not face roll now and you may actually have to use Sacred now to maximize dmg :D

Isn't wheel now 2% per wound? I hope they will fix sacred, cause now pal burns faster than a match.

Pally can't make himself immortal anymore now tho can he?

You're correct. Just go Bleakwalker instead of Shieldbearer, and don't use flames. The build is still extremely strong. I don't know if you can solo everything with it, but it is absolutely destroying everything in my current PotD + extra difficulty mod playthrough, even after the patch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Most of the items it uses no longer provide these liberal benefits. 

While the basic idea still works, you will not be doing that much damage. Or be that accurate. 

So Monks have been nerfed? I am trying to put together a Paladin multi-class build that combines high damage and good survivablity, and I've only found the Holy Slayer route so far. How does Votary compare now, if Monks are nerfed?

Well, Turning Wheel now provides 2% fire lash per Wound (20% max), was 5% (50% max).

Lightning Strikes provide 15% lightning lash, was 30%

Swift Strikes activation chance was nerfed also, I think.

Rooting Pain used to trigger for every wound, now activation chance is nerfed.

Flagellant's Path used to do a full attack vs everyone in its path.

I probably missed something, but those are probably the biggest ones.

That said, a dual-wielding Kind Wayfarer / Helwalker spamming White Flames with huge Might would probably still be very good. Lots of powerful healing for full party with every attack (x2).

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Well, Turning Wheel now provides 2% fire lash per Wound (20% max), was 5% (50% max).

Lightning Strikes provide 15% lightning lash, was 30%

Swift Strikes activation chance was nerfed also, I think.

Rooting Pain used to trigger for every wound, now activation chance is nerfed.

Flagellant's Path used to do a full attack vs everyone in its path.

I probably missed something, but those are probably the biggest ones.

That said, a dual-wielding Kind Wayfarer / Helwalker spamming White Flames with huge Might would probably still be very good. Lots of powerful healing for full party with every attack (x2).

Swift Flurry went down from 50% to 33%.

All of those nerfs were good I think. And still monk is one of the best martial classes:

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

So how do Votaries compare to Holy Slayers in terms of DPS? Comparable, better, or worse?

And can non-Helwalker versions do reasonable DPS? Given how I am anal about not dying - or coming close to dying - I don't think I'd enjoy Helwalker.

So how do Votaries compare to Holy Slayers in terms of DPS? Comparable, better, or worse?

And can non-Helwalker versions do reasonable DPS? Given how I am anal about not dying - or coming close to dying - I don't think I'd enjoy Helwalker.

In my experience, going Helwalker makes a big difference, DPS-wise (might bonuses form a substantial part of your damage input, since you don't have a lot of other passive damage boosts). 

Holy Slayers are pretty great, and if you go Streetfighter you can get very impressive single-target DPS. But you have to set things up to allow yourself to be flanked and/or Bloodied a lot of the time, so probably not the best bet given the style of play you're describing... : P

EDIT: Though I should note that the main Streetfighter boosts only require flanked or bloodied. So as long as you make sure you're flanked most of the time (say, by using Escape to teleport into the middle of crowds of enemies) you can get most of the benefits of being a Streetfighter. (Also pretty easy to get flanked if you're doing a solo run, but not sure if that's what you're thinking about!)

Edited by whimper
  • Like 2

In my experience, going Helwalker makes a big difference, DPS-wise (might bonuses form a substantial part of your damage input, since you don't have a lot of other passive damage boosts). 

Holy Slayers are pretty great, and if you go Streetfighter you can get very impressive single-target DPS. But you have to set things up to allow yourself to be flanked and/or Bloodied a lot of the time, so probably not the best bet given the style of play you're describing... : P

EDIT: Though I should note that the main Streetfighter boosts only require flanked or bloodied. So as long as you make sure you're flanked most of the time (say, by using Escape to teleport into the middle of crowds of enemies) you can get most of the benefits of being a Streetfighter. (Also pretty easy to get flanked if you're doing a solo run, but not sure if that's what you're thinking about!)

Yes, Helwalker DPS boosts seem substantial; but, on the flip-side, keeping them alive also sounds fine - especially my play-style that relies heavily on auto scripts and "watching" fights.

I agree that it's not hard to get flanked on the Streetfighter, except that I was running with 2 Ranger multi-classes that had pets - as well as two other front-liners. So I wasn't all that out-numbered often either. I guess my set-up was not really suited for a Streetfighter either - and not just my play-style. In any case, I don't mind Streetfighter; it's just that I think Streetfighter Holy Slayer is better than Streetfighter Swashbuckler - which is to say Paladin multi-classes are just better than Fighter multi-classes.

• Like 1

I think Streetfighter Holy Slayer is better than Streetfighter Swashbuckler - which is to say Paladin multi-classes are just better than Fighter multi-classes.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience too!

(With a couple rare exceptions for particular synergies, like Berserker/Fighter.) 

• Like 1

Crap: Just did some testing at level 20, and damage per swing is really low even with Helwalker. I guess the increased attack speed increase the true DPS quite a bit but I don't think it's enough to compare to a Holy Slayer. But then you get those incredibly long stuns. I am really conflicted now.

What other Paladin multi-classes can do huge DPS other than Holy Slayer? I want two Paladin multi-classes at the front, but I don't want both to be Holy Slayers ;)

Crap: Just did some testing at level 20, and damage per swing is really low even with Helwalker. I guess the increased attack speed increase the true DPS quite a bit but I don't think it's enough to compare to a Holy Slayer. But then you get those incredibly long stuns. I am really conflicted now.

What other Paladin multi-classes can do huge DPS other than Holy Slayer? I want two Paladin multi-classes at the front, but I don't want both to be Holy Slayers ;)

You know you and I are both testing the same thing.

• Like 1

Great minds think alike? ;)

It's just that I want high DPS while still 1) having high survivability and 2) low micro-management requirement.

In this context, Paladin multi-classes are the best.

It's just that I want high DPS while still 1) having high survivability and 2) low micro-management requirement.

Agreed. His is actually my plan as well. I tested berserker/Goldpact this morning.

• Like 1

Rogues are probably best second class for any melee single target dps. They have extremely high passive damage with an easy to fullfil requirements, mobility is good, and upgraded finishing blow is so much fun. Fighter would give you more survivability, but his passives comes in a bit later, though I have seen lots of good cheese with cleave stance.

Edited by Tadas
  • Like 1

Agreed. His is actually my plan as well. I tested berserker/Goldpact this morning.

How did Paladin/Barbarian go? Was this DPS comparable to Paladin/Rogue?