[Class Build] BURN BABY BURN! Votary (Paladin/Monk) HERETICS BURNING FLAMING BUILD! Not easy to play!

Btw, do you even bother to switch for fire immune enemies? Dragons, fire Nagas, fire elementals. Fire is sadly a somewhat common immunity?

Also, how do you have Come, Come Soft Winds of Death and Ancient Memory in the video again?

Edited by Clerith

Btw, do you even bother to switch for fire immune enemies? Dragons, fire Nagas, fire elementals. Fire is sadly a somewhat common immunity?

Well, it's obviusly a weakness of this build, which is somehow refreshing. Immunity is bad, but resistant enemies won't stand a chance. Just switch to Scordeo Sabre (you have swift Flurry + Blazing Furry + Flaglant Charge so it should proc lot) + Fin's Fortune, Squid Rapier or any weapon that reduce recovery or adds action speed. Or just use your fists. You are still monk, your fists work very well :D. Since you are paladin you won't die anyway.

I like to think about my blazing girl when she sees fire immune enemy: she just drops her flaming weapons, smile wildly , and do it old-school way - beat the hell out of enemy with bare fists in the name of Magran!! 

What I like about non-Devoted builds is that I don't have to worry about switching to different weapons. Also this build is very flexible as you always have fists (and we took two weapons style) as backup or you can switch to any dual weapons if enemy is fire immune. 

Since all fire dmg comes from Magran Favor, Pet, Wheel and Scion of Flame you only "wasted" one ability point on flame build (Scion of Flame as wheel is taken by every monk build anyway) so this build does not suffer from playing differently as Votary at all.

Edited by Voltron

Wouldn't this be better with both flails at once? At least for procs.

No, because it's Magran Favor that makes this damage because it gives combined +5 Power Level to all Fire-based abilities/attacks also each kill it gives 10% Action Speed (max 40%). Thanks to that plus Pet and Sion of Flame you get +7 extra Pen and Dmg on fire so you always overpen with Fire lash/dmg. It also has chance to paply smaller AOE burn, not much but suits build.

You can run both flails but your dmg won't be nowhere as impressive without Magran.

Besides- YOU ARE PALADIN OF MAGRAN! YOU MUST HAVE HER FAVOR!!!!!

How does FoD benefit from power level? I couldn't find this anywhere, does it give you even more lash?

• Like 1

No, because it's Magran Favor that makes this damage because it gives combined +5 Power Level to all Fire-based abilities/attacks also each kill it gives 10% Action Speed (max 40%). Thanks to that plus Pet and Sion of Flame you get +7 extra Pen and Dmg on fire so you always overpen with Fire lash/dmg. It also has chance to paply smaller AOE burn, not much but suits build.

You can run both flails but your dmg won't be nowhere as impressive without Magran.

How does FoD benefit from power level? I couldn't find this anywhere, does it give you even more lash?

Damage from lash (same as any fire damage based attack) is caluculated vs a fire armor rating of enemy so with +7 to that you overpenetrate their fire armor rating all the time by huge margin.

The way dmg works is that there is penetration and armor. The more you overpen enemy armor- the more dmg you deal. Each damage type has it's own armor (Slash, Pierce, Burn, Shock etc.). So +7 Power to Fire dmg is a huge damage boost as enemies in 90% of cases (exclusing enemies immune to fire) have lower elemental armor than their physical armor. 

Edited by Voltron

Damage from lash (same as any fire damage based attack) is caluculated vs a fire armor rating of enemy so with +7 to that you overpenetrate their fire armor rating all the time by huge margin.

The way dmg works is that there is penetration and armor. The more you overpen enemy armor- the more dmg you deal. Each damage type has it's own armor (Slash, Pierce, Burn, Shock etc.). So +7 Power to Fire dmg is a huge damage boost as enemies in 90% of cases (exclusing enemies immune to fire) have lower elemental armor than their physical armor. 

Where does it say Magran's Favor gives +5 to Fire PL? Isn't it 3 w/ the upgrade? As far as the combat log says it doesn't seem to have any effect on FoD's penetration either though apparently it's supposed to have a unmarked effect on the base damage(?). Sun and Moon should give a chance to proc a double FoD as well and its modal decreases reflex which Extinction Event targets.

If you're using Sacred Immolation heavily then Priest might be a viable option since Barring Death's Door/Salvation of Time should give you about a minute of invincibility. Minor Avatar's 20% works w/ weapon procs too and Devotions for the Faithful is +20 acc. The Monk skillset is quite big to lose out on though and safely using SC doesn't seem quite worth it.

More than that I'm wondering why Extinction Event is so much better than other weapon procs. Even without any other lashes or focus on fire damage it still hits for ~100 at max level in a large AoE.

Well, good build, BUT, all those nagas, that "protect" magran's favor are level 20, so...

So? Paladin/Monk can easly solo that much earlier. You still have your fists and this build will work with any other dual weapons till to get Magran's Favor. You can cheese many fights with scrolls, empowered abilities etc. 

Most solo builds posted here can solo 3 red skull enemies encounters. If you don't play with difficulty mod it also will make it easier.

Besides this buildl won't see true power till you get Turning Wheel anyway. Till then you can run with Modwyr (burn damage) and sun and moon and solo for Magran Favor when you feel ready. 

I will try to do it over weekend as early as possible. We will see what level is needed.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

I wonder how early you can do it "legit" with a party. Like 10? Spam empowered and rest. I dunno, so much depends on how good you're at the game, your use of items, abusing rest and empower, pulling strategies... solo is a lot more difficult, obviously. But most people who read these guides aren't soloing, even if they're solo builds.

I wonder how early you can do it "legit" with a party. Like 10? Spam empowered and rest. I dunno, so much depends on how good you're at the game, your use of items, abusing rest and empower, pulling strategies... solo is a lot more difficult, obviously. But most people who read these guides aren't soloing, even if they're solo builds.

If well built party I would say that 10 is ok, especially with summons and wizard with empowered spells.

All power level increase basic damage. This bonus is different from the additive bonus we talk about like Sneak attack. This is a real separate multiplier. That's why Inner Death can get 2k damage, PL bonus * 500% crit bonus * 50% lash bonus = 2k damage.

Where does it say Magran's Favor gives +5 to Fire PL? Isn't it 3 w/ the upgrade? 

rTTmnkh.png

I think your axe is bugged. I checked mine, and it's +2 power levels base, transformed into +3 if you pick the enchant. You do NOT get +2 and +3 at the same time. I even consoled a few more and tried out various enchants, I couldn't manage to get Fiery Core and Living Pyre at the same time on the same weapon.

Where does it say Magran's Favor gives +5 to Fire PL? Isn't it 3 w/ the upgrade? 

rTTmnkh.png

I think your axe is bugged. I checked mine, and it's +2 power levels base, transformed into +3 if you pick the enchant. You do NOT get +2 and +3 at the same time. I even consoled a few more and tried out various enchants, I couldn't manage to get Fiery Core and Living Pyre at the same time on the same weapon.

Huh, I just consoled another one and got both again.... :/ Strange. I will try later again.

This is an awesome build. So Voltron, which of your solo builds is more fun (I guess they are both powerful)? I guess the Paladin/Chanter needs more micromanaging, right?

More fun is Chanter/Paladin or Chanter/Warrior as there is just a lot more cool stuff- you can melee, use summons, buff yourself, debuff enemies, cast damage invocations. For me.

Burn Baby Burn is more of a roleplay mid-end game power freak. It's a lot more gear dependent to really "Become" this build but at the same time it's more devastating.

I guess Warcaller or Herald is just more all-around and therefore imo more entertaining while Burn Baby Burn is more micromanaging but far more straight foward.

Is it possible to get Devil of Caroc breastplate by creating a history and choosing Caroc sparing Harmke -- or is this only obtainable by importing saves?

I only ask this because it's not available in shop if you choose a preset history.

Edited by Bamsmacked88

Yup. I created a custom legacy where she spared Harmke and bought the breastplate in Neketaka.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Did you try this as a Kind Wayfarer? White Flames has a Fire keyword so it should heal for a ****ton.

Probably but as you could see I didn't need much healing outside of running Sacred Immolation in which case you kind of need Shieldbearer immortality on Lay on Hands as Sacred Immolation can crit you for 100+ damage in one tick :D

Isn't there a ring you can buy at the dark cupboard that boosts fire power level? If so, that would go well with this build.

Hm, could you link or tell me name?