Mockup no. 3

https://imgur.com/a/ZlLnYBF

Old Vailia needs more islands. And it needs to be more south in relevance to the Eastern Reach.

Deadfire is far to the south of the Eastern Reach not east of it.

I think Aedyr continent is way bigger that the Eastern Reach.

The Living Lands is a big island far to the north, not a north pole continent. And isn't it supposed to be north of the Eastern Reach, not somewhere in the northwest?

And all in all that map is very cramped.

Edited by Aramintai

They have talked about northern and southern hemispheres and poles, which somewhat implies Eora is an Earthlike sphereworld. There is also a telescope that shows distant stars, and Orary which appears to show three planets orbiting a sun.

But I'm not entirely convinced...

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Mockup no. 3

https://imgur.com/a/ZlLnYBF

Old Vailia needs more islands. And it needs to be more south in relevance to the Eastern Reach.

Deadfire is far to the south of the Eastern Reach not east of it.

I think Aedyr continent is way bigger that the Eastern Reach.

The Living Lands is a big island far to the north, not a north pole continent. And isn't it supposed to be north of the Eastern Reach, not somewhere in the northwest?

And all in all that map is very cramped.

From the in-game info: The Deadfire Archipelago marks the eastern edge of the "Known World."

In game info also places at least part of it to the south of the Eastern Reach. This problem can be resolved by shrinking the landmasses relative to the water. This also stops the Living Lands being pushed up to the north pole.

I still maintain that Rauanati should be attached to the north of Ixamitl - it is never stated to be an island. There are also suggestions that it is quite close to Ondra's Mortar.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Isn't Living Lands a tropical ecosystem with jungles and stuff? Is Eora's North pole always warm?

The Living Lands has a very wide variety of different ecosystems in different valleys. It shouldn't be at the pole though.

We don't know anything about the north pole, only that the south pole is cold.

Edited by Fardragon

The map maker definitely made a mistake placing The Living Lands as the north pole. If you read the ingame book "True Stories from the Living Lands", they only state that it is a region to the far north, and that it is distinguished by "rolling hills, greenery and sun". The book describes wildlife, giant insects and lush plantlife all of which are indicative of a warm or tropical climate. Now, considering that all the regions we've seen of Eora so far are on the southern hemisphere, far north doesn't imply arctic. In fact, from reading the book I'm getting more of a feeling of African, Indian or South American plains than anything else. For those of you who have played World of Warcraft, the image described is more like Nagrand in Outland than anything remotely resembling an arctic region.

Edited by Sceptenar
  • Like 1

From the in-game info: The Deadfire Archipelago marks the eastern edge of the "Known World."

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Deadfire_Archipelago

The Deadfire Archipelago is a wide archipelago of volcanic islands (which give it the name), that is located far to the south of the Eastern Reach.

So it's far south of the Eastern Reach, but more east in relevance to the Eastern Reach. But not simply east of it like in the mockup. And Deadfire is warm not because it's in the equator but because of the sleeping volcanoes underneath it.

Edited by Aramintai

I still maintain that Rauanati should be attached to the north of Ixamitl - it is never stated to be an island. There are also suggestions that it is quite close to Ondra's Mortar.

Well, wiki says that originally they settled on some stormy islands after which they started conquering neighboring coastal lands, which I presume is the Rauatai Gulf, located to the northwest of Ixamitl plains. That puts their empire just about right on the mockup map, however it needs more islands close by and the gulf, I'm sure too, is on the same continent as Ixamitl plains. Nothing indicates they're anywhere close to Ondra's Mortar though. They do suffer storms as well which are connected to it though, but Engwithan machinery can span large distances.

Edited by Aramintai

1. So it's far south of the Eastern Reach, but more east in relevance to the Eastern Reach. But not simply east of it like in the mockup.

2. And Deadfire is warm not because it's in the equator but because of the sleeping volcanoes underneath it.

Mate, I kinda disagree.

1. Deadfire spreads from the southern pole regions (Naasitaq) which is close to the WTW straight to the equator. It's huge. Josh confirmed this on many occasions.
  2. Iceland has lots of volcanoes, and it's not warm. Volcanic activity is not enought for the entire ecosystem to be tropical. Vide point numer 1.

Cheerio.

EDIT

• As for the Living Lands, yeah, I probably made a buggo with placing it as a northern equivalent to the WTW, sorry.
  • Speaking of Iceland, Josh also confirmed on his Frog Helm blog that LL are a bigger version of Iceland
  • Why not more people draw their mockups? This could be fun.
Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

1. So it's far south of the Eastern Reach, but more east in relevance to the Eastern Reach. But not simply east of it like in the mockup.

2. And Deadfire is warm not because it's in the equator but because of the sleeping volcanoes underneath it.

Mate, I kinda disagree.

1. Deadfire spreads from the southern pole regions (Naasitaq) which is close to the WTW straight to the equator. It's huge. Josh confirmed this on many occasions.
  2. Iceland has lots of volcanoes, and it's not warm. Volcanic activity is not enought for the entire ecosystem to be tropical. Vide point numer 1.

Cheerio.

I haven't seen any info that Deadfire is east of the Eastern Reach, only that it's far south.

As for 2, if you put Deadfire somewhere near the equator then the Eastern Reach can't be, can't have two.

I haven't seen any info that Deadfire is east of the Eastern Reach, only that it's far south.

Deduction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5qv8wz/compilation_of_question_answered_by_josh_sawyer/

Q: Congrats for a great start to the Figstarter. It's looking sweet, and yes, I backed! -- I've understood that the Deadfire archipelago is far to the south of the Eastern Reach, with Naasitaq the biggest island. Naasitaq at least clearly has a subarctic/arctic climate. So what's the deal with the steaming jungles and baking deserts?

A: Deadfire Archipelago is most easily reached by traveling south along the Eastern Reach’s coast from the Vailian Republics and Naasitaq is one of the first parts of the archipelago that can be reached that way. However, Naasitaq is the southernmost end of the archipelago. Deadfire spans most of the distance between there and the equator.
Edited by Messier-31

Deduction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5qv8wz/compilation_of_question_answered_by_josh_sawyer/

Q: Congrats for a great start to the Figstarter. It's looking sweet, and yes, I backed! -- I've understood that the Deadfire archipelago is far to the south of the Eastern Reach, with Naasitaq the biggest island. Naasitaq at least clearly has a subarctic/arctic climate. So what's the deal with the steaming jungles and baking deserts?

A: Deadfire Archipelago is most easily reached by traveling south along the Eastern Reach’s coast from the Vailian Republics and Naasitaq is one of the first parts of the archipelago that can be reached that way. However, Naasitaq is the southernmost end of the archipelago. Deadfire spans most of the distance between there and the equator.

I don't see it. Travel south from the Vailian Republics and you'll get there, where's east here?

I only gathered from this that Naasitaq is directly far south of the Republics. And that Deadfire reaches the equator. So that puts the Eastern Reach more to the north of it.

Edited by Aramintai

Deduction.

I don't see it. Travel south from the Vailian Republics and you'll get there, where's east here?

I only gathered from this that Naasitaq is directly far south of the Republics. And that Deadfire reaches the equator. So that puts the Eastern Reach more to the north of it.

The key lines are:

along the Eastern Reach’s coast

Naasitaq is the southernmost end of the archipelago.

So you get to Sagani's home by following the coast, but that's the southern end of the Deadfire. Everything else is north.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:WorldMap.jpg

Check the good old map above. Traveling south along the Eastern Reach's coast form the VR you eventually hit Naasitaq and Josh confirms this. It is also said that Deadfire is the eastern border of the known world, and it's ridiculously long, so I figured what you can see on my map-ish attempt. Eastern Reach is on the southern hemishere, hence Deadfire has to spread form south of the ER (because Naasitaq's proximity to the south pole) to east from the ER (because it reaches the equator). Plausible?

• Like 1

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:WorldMap.jpg

Check the good old map above. Traveling south along the Eastern Reach's coast form the VR you eventually hit Naasitaq and Josh confirms this. It is also said that Deadfire is the eastern border of the known world, and it's ridiculously long, so I figured what you can see on my map-ish attempt. Eastern Reach is on the southern hemishere, hence Deadfire has to spread form south of the ER (because Naasitaq's proximity to the south pole) to east from the ER (because it reaches the equator). Plausible?

So? It's as I've said - travel south from the Eastern Reach and you reach Naasitaq, but where does it say anywhere that Deadfire is directly east of the Eastern Reach? Nowhere. Because it's southeast of it. Your map is too cramped that's why you can't fit Deadfire into it properly. I think it's more like the Eastern Reach is Southeast Asia and Deadfire is all those Indo-Micro-Mela-Polynesia islands that span all those miles down south to Australia (but here they go all the way to the south pole) and east into Pacific ocean.

Edited by Aramintai

Your map is too cramped that's why you can't fit Deadfire into it properly.

I admit, it was never meant to be not-cramped or up to scale, it was just to help visualize the cardinal directions. IN MY MIND

:alien: Who said Eora is a planet? :alien:

The wiki (which cites Josh Sawyer): https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Eora

"There are two moons above Eora, but most people think there is only one moon, Senn Beläfa (or Ondran Beläfa, "Ondra's Beloved", but most people just call it "Beläfa"). It is smaller than Earth's moon but closer to the planet and has a faster orbit. Though uneducated people are unaware of it, there is also a second moon called Cawldha Debh (Glanfathan for "Black Runner"), that has a very fast and irregular orbit. Tides in some coastal areas are more extreme than on Earth."

Edited by wih

:alien: Who said Eora is a planet? :alien:

I'm confident Eora looks like a toroid and that's why we have north and south already explored but there's still countless possibilities to the west and the east.

Also between white that wends and living lands, that's the forbidden zone in the inner ring noone dared to map yet. Obviously, as it's tilted at exactly 0 degrees from its sun and the inner ring never gets any sunlight whatsoever. Talk about mapping that nightmare pitch-black cold-AF part of your planet.

tumblr_odey017x8J1v2useeo3_400.gif

also /s, I have no idea

Edited by Queeg
  • Like 1

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

So, if Eora where a sphere, it raises the question: why has Yezuha (Rekke's land) not been discovered by explorers travelling west from Aedyr?

I can think of three possible answers:

1) The western ocean is HUGE;

2) There is some physical barrier similar to Ondra's Mortar on the western side: North Pole, South Pole, East pole, West pole;

3) Eora is flat.